Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-s-good-about-accrington-hyndburn-what-makes-you-proud-4933.html)

Ceejache 15-07-2004 12:19

What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I know Doug suggested this on another thread and I would also like to raise the vibe concerning our lovely borough. I'll get us started -

Accrington Stanley (obvious one)
The town mill heritage

simon 15-07-2004 12:34

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

The Freindly and Genuine people.............

JohnW 15-07-2004 12:43

And that Simon, is the most important part of the equation, the biggest asset of the town. Not only friendly and genuine but innovative and hard working given the chance.
It is this that needs to be built on. Tourism is for other places, not Accrington.

Doug 15-07-2004 12:45

Bloody Fantastic...........good on you

Darby 15-07-2004 12:50

It has to be the people. Unfortunately the bad ones are on the increase.

But Simon hit it in one.............Oh...and Accy Stan...fate was cruel to them, but like a Pheonix they have risen from the ashes!!

People and a Friendly Caring Attitude, and above all *************Humour**************
That's what Accy is all about.

WillowTheWhisp 15-07-2004 14:03

Free car parks ... .... Well there's not many places you can park for nothing these days.

Doug 15-07-2004 15:07

Love it....Don't you just.

Take this mans effort as an opportunity to state your case for what makes you, “YOU” and what makes you Proud about Accrington and your local Heritage... Willow there's got to be more than a ****** car park.

Which incidently I couldn't B***** well find.

Busman747 15-07-2004 16:06

I have already mentioned on several threads how friendly the people are in Accie, but Doug, Just watch Accie die a death when (not if) the council give the car parks to a private firm who will charge in order to pay the council umpteen thousands of £££££ per year for the contract. I've seen it happen and the same will happen here.

Doug 15-07-2004 16:45

What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I understand your sentiment Busman 747. But is having free parking something to be proud of.

This doesn’t mean I don’t have respect for willows opinion, I do. But I was hoping for a response that demonstrated that the people had some sense of pride of there remaining heritage.

WillowTheWhisp 15-07-2004 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Love it....Don't you just.

Take this mans effort as an opportunity to state your case for what makes you, “YOU” and what makes you Proud about Accrington and your local Heritage... Willow there's got to be more than a ****** car park.

Which incidently I couldn't B***** well find.

I didn't say just one car park Doug. ALL the car parks in Accrington are free and how on earth can you fail to find the main one which is a multi story situated on top of the Arndale? (There are several others dotted around the town.)

One of the things the original builders of the Arndale had to agree to when they wanted to use the old car park for building on was that they would provide an equal number of free parking spaces.

Parking has always been free in Accy and people from other towns have said how they like to be able to come here and park for free ("It's not got car parks ripping you off like what other towns have") so the free car parks in my opinion are saying to the rest of the world that here in Accrington we welcome visitors, don't try to make money out of them and don't rip em off.

If you don't think that's worth being proud of then :s_tongue:

Doug 15-07-2004 16:59

“so the free car parks in my opinion are saying to the rest of the world that here in Accrington we welcome visitors, don't try to make money out of them and don't rip em off”

The above statement and the sentiment makes a justifiable and genuine claim for pride in our car parks….OK Willow, I apologise. The sentiment alone gives you the right to be proud. But is there nothing else your proud of……

Gobsmacked 15-07-2004 17:05

I would have added to the friendly nature of the olk but I find on this website people trying to score off each other and pick petty arguments.

Not the kind friendly folk of Accrington as I would like to think of them.

btw I think free car parking is a damn good thing to be proud of. It costs a ruddy fortune in some places.

The question was asked "What's good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud" - if you take the first partial phrase then Willow's post is perfectly within the remit of the thread.

PILKYBUSDRIVER 15-07-2004 17:32

I'm quite proud of the roads that lead out of Accrington.

Ceejache 15-07-2004 18:26

Well....this thread has been up for some six hours now and we've had ...what...four suggestions...two of which were there to get things going......!

Some contributors (myself included) have been accused of being too negative concerning Accy/Hyndburn (I concede the point....maybe we are too critical) so here is your chance to say what makes you proud of the area. So c'mon then.....tell us why we should be so proud or are the over-critical amongst us going to have to do it ourselves!

Another two to move things along

Haworth Art Gallery and its collection of Tiffany Glass
The splendid architecture of the Town/Market Hall

Doug 15-07-2004 18:33

Well Said Sir,

Acrylic-bob 15-07-2004 19:50

I like the stained glass window in the Library on St. James' Street and the arcade on Church Street and I also like the way that complete strangers will engage you in conversation while you are waiting for a bus.

I am trying to think of something I like about HBC, but it is very hard to come up with anything. There was a lady, who worked in the reception when the council had its offices in a Portacabin on Eagle Street, who was very kind and helpful to me while I was doing research for my degree. But that was many years ago now and she probably doesn't work for them any more, Which is sad.

Ceejache 15-07-2004 19:54

The view from the top of the coppice - makes me feel very proud and special.

WillowTheWhisp 15-07-2004 19:54

I'm not really sure what you are looking for Doug and Ceejache. The Haworth Art Gallery and its Tiffany Glass collection is perhaps something which could be considered to attract visitors to the town. I still think we could make more of the river.

I personally like the Coppice and the view over the town from up there but that probably isn't an appropriate answer for this thread. Maybe other people haven't posted because they just aren't sure of what is or is not acceptable as an answer.

Ceejache 15-07-2004 19:55

Thats the view looking out towards Hyndburn, not Burnley...before someone jumps in there!

WillowTheWhisp 15-07-2004 19:56

:o I just see that you've already posted about the Coppice whilst I was typing this.

Ceejache 15-07-2004 20:06

C'mon Willow stop splitting hairs! The title is pretty much straight forward isn't it? What's good about Accrington? The view from the Coppice is a good thing about Accrington! See...easy! What makes you proud of.....? The football team and the friendly, genuine people! Again....not hard! THERE ARE NO UNACCEPTABLE ANSWERS - IT ISN'T A COMPETITION JUST A CHANCE FOR US TO SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT WHERE WE WERE BORN, BRED OR LIVE!

I repeat - ANYTHING!

Doug 15-07-2004 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm not really sure what you are looking for Doug and Ceejache. The Haworth Art Gallery and its Tiffany Glass collection is perhaps something which could be considered to attract visitors to the town. I still think we could make more of the river.

I personally like the Coppice and the view over the town from up there but that probably isn't an appropriate answer for this thread. Maybe other people haven't posted because they just aren't sure of what is or is not acceptable as an answer.

That's what willow......Things about the town and its surroundings that make you feel Proud. I'm proud of the people who have participated in this and the other posts on similar subjects...People that give a s**t and made the effort...

Ceejache 15-07-2004 20:09

Wasn't trying to be condescending by the way Willow, I just think the title speaks for itself! There is no right or wrong answer!

WillowTheWhisp 15-07-2004 20:15

Well that was why I said about the free parking because it's something I've felt proud of Accy for. So far this town hasn't given in to the ways of other towns and started charging for parking cars.

I was typing about the Coppice at the same time you were and then I wondered because it's just there isn't it? I mean nobody put it there. It just IS. So I can't say I'm proud of it but I do like the fact that its there. I think I liked it better before the trees were planted on it but then again I believe it did have trees on originally way back in time.

Oakhill Park is nice too and the music wassamacallums there I can never remember what they call that.

The fireworks displays when the Christmas lights are turned on. I can usually see them from up here.

lettie 15-07-2004 20:16

I love the view from the top of the Coppice, especially on a sunny day. You can look over Accrington (and it does look nice from up there) you can believe that the streets aren't paved with dog poo and chewing gum. Walking down the Arden Hall side of the Coppice, there is a little stream where my dog paddles in the summer, and it's always really quiet. :)
The majority of people in Accy are still friendly and generous of spirit, always good for a laugh, and I get a lot of pleasure out of visiting these people as part of my work. :)

Ceejache 15-07-2004 20:22

True Willow - it is hard to justify being proud of some things that just 'are' but it is a good thing.

The Oak Hill park music thing is called Sounds. I played there three years back in Realistic Hair.......it poured down so it didn't get that many people there.....very disapointing for us!

Acrylic-bob 15-07-2004 20:40

What, you mean that your hair doesn't usually look realistic??

Gobsmacked 15-07-2004 22:48

The best thing about Accrington folk - and this goes for most parts of Lancashire if not other counties too - is the friendliness of the people. I don't believe it's purely an Accrington trait.

Are there any decent night clubs there these days?

Ceejache 16-07-2004 08:05

The name was from the old Action Man adverts "with eagle eyes and realistic hair! My hair is realistically disappearing.....

Gobsmacked 17-07-2004 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceejache
C'mon Willow stop splitting hairs! The title is pretty much straight forward isn't it? What's good about Accrington? THERE ARE NO UNACCEPTABLE ANSWERS - IT ISN'T A COMPETITION JUST A CHANCE FOR US TO SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT WHERE WE WERE BORN, BRED OR LIVE!

I repeat - ANYTHING!

I'm not surprised Willow asked what was expected in this thread when the first reaction to a reply from him/her was such a negative one.

No unacceptable answers? Perhaps it didn't seem that way from Doug's response which implied that Willow's first post was not worthy of this thread.

For the record I'm all for the free parking and the view from the Coppice.

Doug 17-07-2004 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
I'm not surprised Willow asked what was expected in this thread when the first reaction to a reply from him/her was such a negative one.

No unacceptable answers? Perhaps it didn't seem that way from Doug's response which implied that Willow's first post was not worthy of this thread.

For the record I'm all for the free parking and the view from the Coppice.

That’s fine my friend, your opinion is has valid as anyone else’s and I am sure it will be respected. But I would ask you to read perhaps again Post #10 from Willow and Post #11 from myself.

If anyone has bypassed this thread because they feel that their feelings or objects of pride may not be respected by the likes of me, Then they must ask themselves “who I think I am to make them feel that way” What others are proud of may be different but their no less important.

I did not intend to put Willow down by my remarks; I wanted to stimulate a response to get people to open up about what made them proud of the place that they where either born and bred in, brought up in or adopted as their own.

accyplus 17-07-2004 09:50

I have to say how proud I am of the tripe shop.

Ceejache 18-07-2004 18:46

Gobsmacked - I am not responsible for what Doug posts on here..........!

Doug 18-07-2004 20:18

You’re quite right their Ceejache……I was wrong to criticise Willow for what he/she believed in, But that would have been apparent if Gobsmacked had read the thread in context…

Gobsmacked 18-07-2004 20:52

Quote:

Gobsmacked - I am not responsible for what Doug posts on here..........!

I wasn't implying that you were. I was responding to the fact that you "shouted" at Willow in capital letters for seemingly needing clarification of the subject matter expected in the thread following initial criticism by the person who inspired your creating the thread in the first place.

Were the capital letters really necessary? Surely someone asking for advice/guidance is entitled to a civil response?

Ceejache 19-07-2004 08:01

Well sorry if I caused any offence but I wasn't 'shouting' I was drawing attention to the simple and innocent nature of the thread, would it have been better if I had used a different colour font? Maybe.....anyway I later clarified that I wasn't being offensive, the very nature of message boards often doesn't help imply your meaning though!

Doug didn't inspire my creating of the thread, I thought of the idea then later saw that Doug had the idea too so credited him as a 'tip of the hat' to acknowledge the fact.

Doug and myself have not worked 'as a team' on this thread so the fact that Doug disagreed with Willows input does not contort the simple thread title/question originally posted by myself.

I have never been anything other than civil on this and other boards but to be honest I am disappointed that we couldn't come up with more content in this well-meaning thread.

Doug 19-07-2004 10:14

Quote:

I have never been anything other than civil on this and other boards but to be honest I am disappointed that we couldn't come up with more content in this well-meaning thread.

I have got to agree with Ceejache, As for myself I hoped that the people of this site would have given a bit more time to what really made them proud of their town…………..It was not intended as an opportunity to have a go at each other.

Maybe it should have been what you hate about your town….maybe then we would have a more positive and overwhelming response.

I personally applaud these people who can initiate a thread that leads to an open, serious and constructive debate…An extremely good example would be Willows “In search of an old Viaduct”.

accyplus 19-07-2004 10:27

I dont wear rose tinted glasses

accyplus 19-07-2004 10:33

I dont wear rose tinted glasses!.

Tealeaf 19-07-2004 12:15

I don't know whether to just laugh or p**s my pants over this nonsense. About the only concensus there appears to be on this thread is the notion that most people from Accy & it's environs are "good, friendly folk"; and yet what do we find? The four main contributors - "all good, friendly, folk" are at each others throats simply because someone has made a posting using capital letters. Is this really the best we can do?

KIPAX 19-07-2004 12:26

Tealeaf.. pot kettle... how can you complain about people arguing? hahahahahahaha

BTW - FYI.. Capitols does mean shouting on the internet...its not normally used to draw attention to somehting unless you want to shout it:) Capitols have been used for this.. hmm well 12 years that i know of in all aspects of the internet... Thats not to suggest everyone should know this.. I am just pointing out that its not a messageboard or accyweb thing :)

HTH :)

Doug 19-07-2004 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I don't know whether to just laugh or p**s my pants over this nonsense. About the only concensus there appears to be on this thread is the notion that most people from Accy & it's environs are "good, friendly folk"; and yet what do we find? The four main contributors - "all good, friendly, folk" are at each others throats simply because someone has made a posting using capital letters. Is this really the best we can do?

Pots & Kettles aside, and I respect KIPAX and his contribution to this post….I must agree in full with tealeaf…This is something that is not just particular to this thread either.

Perhaps we should just resign to the fact that we cannot communicate with and degree of eloquence and close this thread due to the lack of interest in what makes us proud of what is in fact “Our Town & District”.

I believe in this web site and its membership. I accept that not all members have the same interest or opinions; I also believe that some spend too much time sitting on the fence. Notwithstanding that I also believe that this site provides a window of opportunity for friendship and a point of contact national and internationally for those who are proud of coming from Accrington. I know I am.

Tealeaf 19-07-2004 16:35

Quote:

I also believe that this site provides a window of opportunity for friendship and a point of contact national and internationally for those who are proud of coming from Accrington. I know I am.

Sod friendship. Save that for the pub & the next Accyweb meeting on 31st July. What we want on here are some good full-blown arguments, with none of this fence-sitting or tired all cliches like "I respect what you say, but about the other side of the argument". Take the opposite view of whatever is posted & go straight for the intellectual jugular; life's to short too compromise. Lets have some threads blown away and plenty of metaphorical blood on the computer screen...

KIPAX 19-07-2004 16:50

OMG Tealeafs lost it!... Everyone wise to him and no one will take him on anymore... he's like a lost little boy :)

Doug 19-07-2004 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Sod friendship. Save that for the pub & the next Accyweb meeting on 31st July. What we want on here are some good full-blown arguments, with none of this fence-sitting or tired all cliches like "I respect what you say, but about the other side of the argument". Take the opposite view of whatever is posted & go straight for the intellectual jugular; life's to short too compromise. Lets have some threads blown away and plenty of metaphorical blood on the computer screen...

Oh B***** it. Go on then, I'll have some of that, after all we are likely to get a greater responce that way. At least some will able keep up intellectually.....lol

Has for fence sitting "that's all you do Tea, You load um up and let the daft B*****s shoot themselves.....Nice

Doug 19-07-2004 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX
OMG Tealeafs lost it!... Everyone wise to him and no one will take him on anymore... he's like a lost little boy :)

We just have.....

Tealeaf 19-07-2004 17:03

Quote:

At least I had it in the first place.....

WillowTheWhisp 19-07-2004 17:47

To get back to the subject of the thread. Sometimes it's easier to be critical of the place where we live not because we dislike it but because we are proud of it and want it to be at its best so that visitors will see and like what they see. I'm not very good at putting this into words so I hope you can understand what I mean.

There isn't much left of anything to make Accrington distinctive which is a shame. That doesn't make it a bad place to live but it does make it difficult to think of anything specific to post in this thread. I find myself thinking of things I wish we still had.

We've got a good market, but we once had a better one. The Tiffany glass collection is special (as has already been said) and the fact that things like the Spinning Jenny were invented locally. The surrounding countryside is attractive to look at and on a par with the view from the Coppice is the view towards the Coppice from Bullough Park.

I moved to Accrington at the age of 4 and have lived here more or less ever since. Perhaps Mez is the ideal person to have something to say in this thread because she says she moved back here by choice because she likes it.

Doug 19-07-2004 17:56

Well put Willow..........

I remember the view out towards the coppice from Miller Fold, and the surounding landscape that was always there in my youth...fantastic stuff.

JohnW 19-07-2004 19:36

I think what's "good" does not necessarily have to make you "proud." The very word implies some input or sense of achievement to make one proud. We can all be pleased about the view from the Copice, the beauty of the Tiffany glass, the magnificence of the surrounding countryside etc. but "proud" I feel is the wrong word. None of us made the Tiffany glass nor the various beautiful views so we cannot really be proud. Why don't we just ask people what they like about living in Accrington and surrounding districts. What pleases them about the town and what it has to offer. We may get a few more answers. I think "proud" is putting people off replying.

Doug 19-07-2004 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnW
Why don't we just ask people what they like about living in Accrington and surrounding districts. What pleases them about the town and what it has to offer. We may get a few more answers. I think "proud" is putting people off replying.

It certainly not encouraged them has it. You may have just hit the nail on the head here. But does anything matter John. Every time someone stands up they get knocked down again, even those with well meaning comments don’t escape criticism.

In another thread I have suggested a forum for those interested in there heritage whatever’s left of it so those that aren’t interested don’t need to force themselves to enter and pass comment

WillowTheWhisp 19-07-2004 20:18

That was why I was wondering if what I was typing about the Coppice was appropriate and then when I'd posted it I saw that Ceejache had just beat me to it and also mentioned the Coppice.

My problem is that I often don't think of something until somebody else mentions it and then I go "Oh yes I agree with that"

Doug 19-07-2004 20:24

It doesn’t matter willow, its your input that matters and you do alright for yourself.

Darby 20-07-2004 05:23

I have to agree with Tealeaf on this one. I think that all contributors to this thread have in some way misinterpreted postings. That's one of the problems with the written word in comparison with the spoken word.
If Tealeaf sits on the fence, then he sits at an awkward angle, and gives it full throttle when necessary. Ceejache, Willow and Doug all appear to give their own honest opinions, and I for one respect them for their courage, honesty, and intentions. Kipax (bless his little cotton socks), Dry Gulches everyone, but he has his dignity and his opinions and I respect his right to say his bit, even if I disagree with him.

I feel the intention of the thread was well meant, but some responses went in different directions (that appears to be the norm on most sites as well). Accrington (and district...I'm not keen on the term Hyndburn), has its own "charm" and its own "characters", good or bad, like 'em or hate 'em. That's Accy!
Some of the ideas and views expressed were interesting and if you look closely, provide us with an insight into our own personalities and the way in which we think, especially about our environment.

So, as far as I'm concerned....carry on....it makes very interesting reading!!!

Acrylic-bob 20-07-2004 06:58

I have to agree with JohnW's assesment. I think the use of the adjective 'proud' is perhaps a little misleading. Especially when one considers that most of the things that would normally have given rise to that sentiment have long since ceased to exist or occur. It also tends to anchor consideration in the past rather than placing it in the present. I think that it is also pertinent to echo the view that there really isn't an awful lot to base the discussion on in the first place. In many ways Accrington and district has, historically, been poorly served by it's local government and captains of industry. There are few fine buildings and no notable institutions, Art is more often than not regarded as something that children do at school and to be disregarded once working life commences. It strikes me that one of the functions of local government should be to act, in the absence of a resident gentry,to raise standards above that deemed necessary for mere survival.

KIPAX 20-07-2004 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darby
Kipax (bless his little cotton socks), Dry Gulches everyone, but he has his dignity and his opinions and I respect his right to say his bit, even if I disagree with him.

What on earth makes you think I need the respect of a self confessed out and out racist who spends most of his time moaning about accyweb and his right to attack asian children?

Heres a good plan.. you stop talking about me and I will not respond by mentioning your racist antics on this messageboard.. I niether need or require your blessings.

If you intend to keep having these sly digs at me then dont cry about it when I bite back..

Darby 20-07-2004 09:49

Kipax. Please stop ranting and raving......

Where is your sense of humour????

And don't call me racist, as you are not in a position to denounce anybody.

Doug 20-07-2004 09:54

Oh dear, here we go again......Put the kettle on this may go on a bit. Ok children we will suspend the intellectual process until you've got it out of your systems.

Wake up tea, it's started.......

KIPAX 20-07-2004 09:56

My only input to this thread has been friendly and lighthearted yet you felt the need to have a dig at me.. well tough luck cus I bite back..

Stop having a dig at me and I wont feel the need to repsond..Not rocket science is it ?

Doug 20-07-2004 10:01

He's got a point..........

KIPAX 20-07-2004 10:04

hehe good cop bad cop :)

Darby 20-07-2004 10:04

I was not having a dig at you....It's not worth the effort.
However, I believed that personal attacks were not tolerated on this site.!! Please moderate anything that you direct at me.

KIPAX 20-07-2004 10:07

You where and I responded.

You can either take it like a man.. move on and stop having a go.. or you can stretch it out. Your choice darby .

Doug 20-07-2004 10:11

Yep, he's got one too....I would like to see the best of both of you and avoid the negativity that this conflict brings out of you both….

KIPAX 20-07-2004 10:14

Doug.. What exactly did I do wrong?

Darby 20-07-2004 10:19

Quote:

Doug.. What exactly did I do wrong?

Ok this one was meant for Doug....but......My statement was meant with humour and not a personal attack.

Your response was a personal and unwarranted attack.

Lets agree to disagree and shake hands. OK?

KIPAX 20-07-2004 10:26

It would seem you are unable to take it like a man and move on then. Here you are posting more excuses and trying to worm your way out of it. Thats pathetic. You had a go at me and I responded... Live with it man!

Shake hands? With a racist? No thanks

Darby 20-07-2004 10:45

OK!! have it as you will, BUT NEVER SAY I DIDN'T OFFER!!

Over to you Mr. Starter!!

WillowTheWhisp 20-07-2004 10:45

I may be naive but when I read Darby's post it sounded more in praise of Kipax to me.

yerself 20-07-2004 10:47

It's like being in the school playground...........fight,fight,fight,fight.

Darby 20-07-2004 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I may be naive but when I read Darby's post it sounded more in praise of Kipax to me.

Thank you. That's what I intended!

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:10

Sigh....I thought the subject was closed... Seems willow doesnt want it to stop :(

accyplus 20-07-2004 11:10

Come on chaps,I think its time to call it a wrap,it appears that the starting out theme
"Whats good about accy",as turned into personel slanging match.
It appears though that few people seem to have anything good to say about our
town,I to found it difficult to pinpoint something good about our once not to bad town
but like most things over the years things have been in steady recline,dont let the
forum go that way so come on chaps call it a day

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:13

We did call it a day... it would seem a lot of people have decided to jump in and keep it going by adding more fuel to the fire... Typical :(

mez 20-07-2004 11:15

hear hear accyplus, i like accy thats why i moved back, its the people you know, open hearted & welcoming :wave:

accyplus 20-07-2004 11:15

Bloody hell KIPAX your like a dog with a bone

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:17

accyplus. Tealeaf would be so proud of me

hehehehe :)

mez 20-07-2004 11:20

hey kipax your just after being god member, like tea ha ha ha

Darby 20-07-2004 11:20

OK "call it a day" if you want to:

But: QUOTE KIPAX: "Shake hands? With a racist? No thanks"

That's a day????

I offered and that was his response!! So I'll move on............ but not forget.....(I'll be right behind you - figuratively speaking)

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:27

Quote:

I'll be right behind you - figuratively speaking
thats exactly whats caused the problem and now your saying you will do it more.. Your constant digs and keep mentiong me for no reason is why I ahve responded.. And now your telling all that your going to do it more...

OMG I just realised... that makes you my very own STALKER... A STALKER and a RACIST.... What ya gonna do for the hatrick I wonder? :)

Darby 20-07-2004 11:32

........Murderer?

JohnW 20-07-2004 11:34

Shall we rename this thread "Handbags at 20 paces" and start another one about what we think is good about Accrington and its districts?

Doug 20-07-2004 11:35

Bloody hell, I only went out for an hour..............I hope that we do now move on. On the question "What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud" Maybe it's a broad spectrum of opinion that counts. We all have one, but we don't always agree, but currently we have the freedon to express them.

I don't like the term Racist, its a term used by people who don't want to work on equal terms with those around them "in my opinion" Its over used and its starting to loose its impact. Time will tell.

Until then perhaps we could find a way of insluting each other in less hurtful terms, because I'm sure someone will be hurt by this....

Any chance of both of you coming on the 31st?

mez 20-07-2004 11:39

sorryposted in wrong one//

Darby 20-07-2004 11:40

Quote:

Bloody hell, I only went out for an hour..............I hope that we do now move on. On the question "What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud" Maybe it's a broad spectrum of opinion that counts. We all have one, but we don't always agree, but currently we have the freedon to express them.

I don't like the term Racist, its a term used by people who don't want to work on equal terms with those around them "in my opinion" Its over used and its starting to loose its impact. Time will tell.

Until then perhaps we could find a way of insluting each other in less hurtful terms, because I'm sure someone will be hurt by this....

Any chance of both of you coming on the 31st?

Sorry Doug, I would love to have a few beers with all on the site. But it's just a bit too far.....and my grandson arrives that day. Besides, I only just got back from London last night. But sometime I'll get to another one, and I'll bring a bottle of Schnapps with me for all to sample!
Thanks for the thought!

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:43

Quote:

I don't like the term Racist, its a term used by people who don't want to work on equal terms with those around them
hahahaha ..

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:45

Quote:

one dosent like the landlord/lady
Well i only live down the road and I will be there.. so presumably its you (sorry i meant darby) who doesnt like the landlord and landlady which is a bit strange.

Doug 20-07-2004 11:47

Maybe one day folks....I certainly look forward to meeting all those proactive INDIVDUALS out there that make up what we are…..By the way, I won’t be drinking that night, but I’ll a nice orange and lemon and a good lookin woman will do me……

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:48

I wont be drinking either as I ahve an early start in the morning.. taking the kids to camelot for the day... cant drive early if tanked up night before....:)

JohnW 20-07-2004 11:49

I'll tell you what Accrington as a community has to be proud of:-

Englands wealth was built on the back of the North-of-England working man. That is an indisputible fact. Lancashire and Yorkshire (for all their competitiveness) were the industrial might on which this country flourished. Accrington played a great part in this revolution. Factories like H & B, Broad Oak etc. were part of the big money-spinning era. Leyland Motors was another great company not too far away. Unfortunately, the profits from these great companies ended up in London with the central government and that is why the South is so much better 'looked-after' than the North. Let us never forget that our parents and grandparents were a part of that revolution. As well as doing all that, they went and fought, and won, two world wars as well.

You can't keep good people down. Accrington still has plenty of those, some of them post on this site. I am proud to be able to say that I come from such a place, even though, through no fault of its own, it has been in decline for many years. It is the fault of successive governments who have done nothing to help, but have depleted the manufacturing industries on which this country was built. I am also proud to have orginated from the great gene pool that is East Lancashire.

That's my two-pennorth anyway.

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:53

Very hard to be proud of a place I wasnt born in... I like the place enough to want to live here by choice and prefer it to my "home town" and by choice will not be leaving :)

JohnW 20-07-2004 11:53

I see I've just lost two karma points for my little post about "handbags at 20 paces"

How pathetic. Care to take two more now for my mentioning it again?

Darby 20-07-2004 11:53

QUOTE: so presumably its you (sorry i meant darby) who doesnt like the landlord and landlady which is a bit strange.

?????????

mez 20-07-2004 11:57

sorry been told wrong information again, i apologise profusley to the person ive slited by the landlor/lady thread only going off wot i was told //

KIPAX 20-07-2004 11:57

Darby....JW just got the thread back on topic and I responded accordingly... Can you start another thread or take it private please...lets keep this on topic

mez 20-07-2004 12:00

he he he , yer like little tigers when yer all rattled, makes for good reading though, he he he :s_love:

KIPAX 20-07-2004 12:05

Mez.....anyone who mixes up a mesageboard with real life has kinda lost it.. pinch of salt and all that :) just hope darby isnt really going to murder me......hahahahahaha

yerself 20-07-2004 12:08

Quote:

I see I've just lost two karma points for my little post about "handbags at 20 paces"

I lost two for upsetting someone by starting a poll about the Arndale Clock. I wonder who could be doing this? Who on here does not accept any opinion that does not coincide with his/her own?

Darby 20-07-2004 12:11

Back to the topic:

Howard & Bulloughs use to be a symbol of Accrington; Engineering and Cotton. Besides being the largest employer in the town, the building stood out, especially approaching from Blackburn or Manchester by train. Another outstanding thing was the cotton mills, most being in Church or Ossy. You couldn't miss the chimmneys, and the people who worked in them were absolutely representative of all Lancashire folk espouse.
Being brought up in Church and Accy, and my dad's family being well known in Ossy, I had a special view of our area, and was very close to its heart.
Nothing exciting seemed to happen, during "Wakes Weeks" the town centre was like a morgue, and you had to go into the town centre (outside the Maypole) to buy a daily paper.
I can't honestly remember any exciting event occuring in Accy during my childhood. Naturally, as a kid I didn't read the papers much, and relied on my parents or word of mouth from my mates at school.
I spent most of my time playing either on Nelson Square or down the Dunkenhalgh. Parts of Accy were almost foreign to me. Woodnook, and Baxenden in particular could have been on the other .
side of the moon.
The town centre was always kept clean, and I loved the open market and the Market Hall in particular, as my Auntie Ruby worked on Trickets Ice Cream stall, and always gave me a "free" cornet when I saw her.
Accrington was...nothing special, nothing grand, but a small average working class town, with working class aspirations. The Coppice was more like a memorial than a landmark and that is what I can always remember seeing first as I came home from the Far East, USA, or Africa.

I was proud to say that I lived in Accrington and that I was an Accy Lad.

Doug 20-07-2004 12:12

Quote:

How pathetic. Care to take two more now for my mentioning it again?

Why has this man lost two Karma points....He did NOTHING WRONG..........Now give him them back are I'm not Playing.......