Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Area Management Calendars 2010 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/area-management-calendars-2010-a-50877.html)

Gayle 16-12-2009 15:05

Area Management Calendars 2010

I received my Area Management calendar through the door again this year. Now, last year there were accusations that it was a bit too blue so looked like a Tory calendar - this year however, it's very clearly marked as Area Management.

Yet, once again there is one Councillor missing - Cllr Colette McCormack. As it happens, she's the only Labour Ward Councillor in Ossy, with 6 Conservatives, so presumably she refused to pose with them as happened last year. Last year all the Labour councillors refused to take part in the calendars because they thought it was a waste of money. Well, it's great having principles but you've let yourselves be left out!

I think this is the silly end of politics. As our ward Councillor she should have made sure she was part of the calendar and at the very least made sure her name was on it.

What are the other calendars like around the Borough?

Wynonie Harris 16-12-2009 21:43

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

A calendar with pictures of local councillors "posing"? How egotistical is that? I mean, they may make sure you get your bins collected and your parks maintained, but do you really want to look at their fizogs everyday?

If they were dishing 'em out round our way, I'd stick it in the recycling sack. I'm sure I'll be much happier with my Kathy West calendar up on the kitchen noticeboard! :D

g jones 16-12-2009 22:02

I speak for us all when I say we are facing cuts and these are uneccessary especially when the council hands out superb recycling calendars.

Bare in mind Labour Councillors have paid for Christmas cards themselves for the last few years with plenty of details. There is no need for calendars. This was a response by the council in my view to use council tax payers money for a political purposes.

They haven't put County Councillors details on which would be useful. Cynically I you recall last year the Conservative candidate for County was on side January to June on their own and everyone else on the back July to November.

Conservative councillors I feel should have paid for these themselves and took the time to deliver them where capable.

This week all Councillors McCormacks residents will receive a Christmas card with full details at no cost to the ratepayer.

Personally I would prefer my name or photo to only be used to promote or highlight an issue.

cashman 16-12-2009 22:08

Disagree gayle, what is the silly end of politics is "Wasting" money on silly calendars, that could be better used elsewhere.:rolleyes:

shillelagh 17-12-2009 00:27

In actual fact gayle if the council has done this then surely they would have put councillor mccormacks contact details on as she is a councillor .. otherwise that is bad management from the council officers .. and surely they should be took to task. Even if the labour councillors are against the idea of a calendar their details should actually be included otherwise it can be seen to be party political.

Neil 17-12-2009 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 770388)
In actual fact gayle if the council has done this then surely they would have put councillor mccormacks contact details on as she is a councillor .. otherwise that is bad management from the council officers .. and surely they should be took to task. Even if the labour councillors are against the idea of a calendar their details should actually be included otherwise it can be seen to be party political.

You can't include a Councillors details if they instruct you not too though can you?

Not sure if I agree or not with the calendars but, it does look like Cllr McCormack is not one of our Councillors which is not right

jaysay 17-12-2009 08:31

I've never been sure whether these calendars or Christmas cards for that matter are any good, I would think that most people put them straight in the recycling sack and very few actually keep them for use throughout the year

pipinfort 17-12-2009 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 770409)
I would think that most people put them straight in the recycling sack and very few actually keep them for use throughout the year

I`m one of those.................i have a lovely Kitchen Gardener 2010 calender ready to go up in our kitchen:rolleyes:

Boeing Guy 17-12-2009 11:26

Nice point scoring Mr Jones.... you will go far in politics

cashman 17-12-2009 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 770452)
Nice point scoring Mr Jones.... you will go far in politics

funny how the simple truth gets some people.:rolleyes:

jaysay 17-12-2009 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 770454)
funny how the simple truth gets some people.:rolleyes:

Ya but have you noticed that Graham doesn't come on here when the real truth is flying around about his beloved Labour Party which has been screwing the country for the last 12 years:D

shillelagh 17-12-2009 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 770394)
You can't include a Councillors details if they instruct you not too though can you?

Not sure if I agree or not with the calendars but, it does look like Cllr McCormack is not one of our Councillors which is not right

A council ie the council officers should be neutral ... no matter how they vote in an election ..and if its given out by the council then their details at least should be put on it .. if a councillor doesnt want no part in having their photo taken to go on it well thats up to them .. but if they just put one councillors details on .. then it should have them all on ... otherwise surely it could actually go to the local government ombudsman ..
Making a complaint against government or public bodies : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Gayle 17-12-2009 15:58

It's Area Management so not entirely council - not 100% sure of the exact relationship. However, like Neil said, if the Labour councillor is making a protest and has refused to have her name on it, then the officers of the council can't put it on, can they?

Neil 17-12-2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 770480)
.. if a councillor doesnt want no part in having their photo taken to go on it well thats up to them ..

I think that is the case.

As Colette is not a member maybe Graham could confirm if this is true or not?

Bernard Dawson 17-12-2009 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 770481)
It's Area Management so not entirely council - not 100% sure of the exact relationship. However, like Neil said, if the Labour councillor is making a protest and has refused to have her name on it, then the officers of the council can't put it on, can they?

That's right Gayle. The Labour Group feel that these calendar's shouldn't be funded by the Council Tax Payer. It's also the cost of delivering them as well.

Colette, I know is putting out a Christmas card in her ward, funded by Colette, and largely delivered by Colette and her family.