Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Some good news.. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/some-good-news-51022.html)

andrewb 28-12-2009 21:25

Some good news..

This caught my eye on Twitter. Quite a number of new jobs been created in Hyndburn. Accrington in 80 white-collar jobs boost (From Blackburn Citizen)

Wynonie Harris 28-12-2009 21:30

Re: Some good news..

Hmmm..not in the calendar department, are they? ;)

andrewb 28-12-2009 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 773013)
Hmmm..not in the calendar department, are they? ;)

Behave. ;)

garinda 29-12-2009 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 773010)
This caught my eye on Twitter. Quite a number of new jobs been created in Hyndburn. Accrington in 80 white-collar jobs boost (From Blackburn Citizen)

Are there still twits twittering?

I'd have thought it might have lost some street cred, after 'Dave' Cameron referred to people that use it as....well it also starts with a 't', and rhymes with cats, live on a radio show.

David Cameron says sorry for comment during radio interview | Politics | guardian.co.uk

garinda 29-12-2009 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 773010)

Relocating from Preston doesn't make these jobs 'new'.

It's what's known by those who work for a living as a 'transfer'.

Although I think it's good news if it saves the County Council money, and there will be a knock on effect for Accrington, or at least Tescos when it opens, when they pop out for a butty.

cashman 29-12-2009 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 773047)
Are there still twits twittering?

I'd have thought it might have lost some street cred, after 'Dave' Cameron referred to people that use it as....well it also starts with a 't', and rhymes with cats, live on a radio show.

David Cameron says sorry for '****' comment during radio interview | Politics | guardian.co.uk

never thought i'd say this, but i'm wi cameron on that one.:D

Mancie 29-12-2009 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 773049)
Relocating from Preston doesn't make these jobs 'new'.

It's what's known by those who work for a living as a 'transfer'.

Although I think it's good news if it saves the County Council money, and there will be a knock on effect for Accrington, or at least Tescos when it opens, when they pop out for a butty.

I used to live in a town were the greatest wish was for a Tesco to open...ahh the dreams I had :D

flashy 29-12-2009 06:15

what amazed me more is that Blackburn have a citizen :eek:, i've lived here 13 years and never ever seen one

LYNX1 29-12-2009 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 773079)
what amazed me more is that Blackburn have a citizen :eek:, i've lived here 13 years and never ever seen one

Was a similar situation when I lived on Nuttall St.......would get citizen on and off, so collared one of the blokes delivering it and he told me they weren't allowed to deliver past Belfield Road.........the block I lived on had 6 houses then old railway track, couldn't understand the logic in that :confused:
Anyway, used to go to the chippy if I wanted a citizen coz the delivery bloke used to drop dozens of the bloomin things there when he was done :(

jaysay 29-12-2009 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 773079)

Citizen thought that had gone out long ago, I haven't had a Citizen through my door for years, anybody still get them in Hyndburn:confused:

AccyMad 29-12-2009 09:09

We get a Citizen delivered most weeks, usually flick throught he leaflets that come with it but the paper goes straight in the white bag more often than not as the 'news' is usually about a week out of date

UKCougar 29-12-2009 11:41

Typically, I used to get the Citizen for about a month on the run-up to Christmas (just in time for 'tips', here's a tip, deliver it for the other eleven months you workshy little git.)

I used to deliver the Citizen when I was a nipper, shared a round with a mate across the road. Horsework for the money so I've every sympathy, Christmas tips just about made it worthwhile. You do actually have to deliver it occasionally for that though.

But yeah, all that said I've not seen a Citizen in a good few years now.

accyman 29-12-2009 13:39

i thought the standard procedure for a citizen delivery person was to deliver teh paper regularly for a few weeks until a suitable dumping ground was found for teh papers

jaysay 29-12-2009 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCougar (Post 773165)
Typically, I used to get the Citizen for about a month on the run-up to Christmas (just in time for 'tips', here's a tip, deliver it for the other eleven months you workshy little git.)

I used to deliver the Citizen when I was a nipper, shared a round with a mate across the road. Horse Work for the money so I've every sympathy, Christmas tips just about made it worthwhile. You do actually have to deliver it occasionally for that though.

But yeah, all that said I've not seen a Citizen in a good few years now.

That happened to me one Christmas, usually the lad that delivered them just used to put four on the steps in our bloke of flats, then miraculously about 4 weeks before Xmas they stared dropping through the door, sure enough just before crimble, a knock came on the door, I deliver your Citizen, so, I said and just looked at him, I then said take a look where you usually leave them and if your lucky you may find a little something for your troubles, can't ever remember getting the Citizen again after that

shillelagh 29-12-2009 15:39

i get the hyndburn citizen .. even though im in rossendale :D... it used to come on a thursday ... now it depends on when the delivery lad can be bothered ...:D:D:D but its still delivered weekly thursday, friday, saturday, sunday or even monday the following week!!!:eek: