Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Too much iron? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/too-much-iron-51450.html)

sm_counsell 24-01-2010 15:57

Too much iron?

Next time you go for a check-up or if you are feeling tired all the time, ask your doc. to control the iron ( simple blood test). The most common genetic disorder around (identified in 1996) iron overload, is extremely common in northern Europeans and people of Irish and Welsh descent, but many doctors don't know much about it., and as the treatment doesn't involve a lot of money, the pharmaceutical companies tend to keep quiet!!
I found out by chance(thanks to the Internet) and have managed to put cousins in the UK on guard so I thought I'd pass on info through this great forum
No cure, but all you have to do is give blood and keep a check on blood levels.

If anyone ie interested see: www.haemochromatosis.org/uk

K.S.H 24-01-2010 16:00

Re: Too much iron?

Or better still here
Haemochromatosis Society UK :D

Less 24-01-2010 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 781946)
and as the treatment doesn't involve a lot of money, the pharmaceutical companies tend to keep quiet!!

Conspiracy Theory Alert!

Drug Companies like all major Corporations are run by accountant's these days, they are tighter than a Scotsman's Sporran, If anybody lives by the adage 'many a mickle makes a muckle', they do, if they think there is part of a farthing to be made they will go for it, they won't ignore something profitable!
:rolleyes:

Benipete 24-01-2010 17:13

Just when I was feeling better.:spank::bangh8::bangh8:

emamum 24-01-2010 19:55

my irons pretty good, had it tested few weeks ago :)

accyman 24-01-2010 21:11

my iron is terrible i eat loads of liver and all the other things you do to help iron but no matter what i do or try i cant get that sticky stuff off the bottom of it and it keeps sticking to my clothes especialy when ironing t-shirt's.

i did find however after a bit of googleing that the situation could have been avoided if i had tured my printed t-shirt's inside out before ironing them :)

jaysay 25-01-2010 09:35

Somebody trys to help and all you lot do is take the P***:rolleyes:

sm_counsell 26-01-2010 14:01

Thanks Jaysay,
Perhaps they didn't understand. Still I've done my duty!!
rgds

Pamperqueen 29-01-2010 08:36

Many member's of my husbands family have this. Loads of them were going to the doctors with the classic symptoms for years and had no joy getting a diagnosis. It was only when relatives in Ireland were diagnosed that the penny dropped. They are much more thorough about screening for it over there.

sm_counsell 29-01-2010 16:54

Thanks Pamperqueen, at least someone other than Jaysay has got the message.
The condition, if found out in time is easily controllable and I just wanted to warn English people about just how common it is but that it's difficult to diagnose because the symptoms are common to many other illnesses.
Hope the info. might be useful to someone in the future
Rgds

AngleIron 29-01-2010 20:44

Used to suffer from that myself until i swallowed a magnet!...lol

MargaretR 29-01-2010 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 781946)
Next time you go for a check-up or if you are feeling tired all the time, ask your doc. to control the iron ( simple blood test). The most common genetic disorder around (identified in 1996) iron overload, is extremely common in northern Europeans and people of Irish and Welsh descent, but many doctors don't know much about it., and as the treatment doesn't involve a lot of money, the pharmaceutical companies tend to keep quiet!!
I found out by chance(thanks to the Internet) and have managed to put cousins in the UK on guard so I thought I'd pass on info through this great forum
No cure, but all you have to do is give blood and keep a check on blood levels.

If anyone ie interested see: www.haemochromatosis.org/uk

I am surprised that you say 'no cure'.
This probably means that western medicine has not yet produced an expensive drug for it yet.

Chelation of heavy metals from the body is a well known practice in alternative medicine.

webglynne 30-01-2010 00:12

Is the fact that to play games ,for one, a certain number of times a day got anything with the fact there is so much rubbishing of posts?

They actually got nothin to say?

accyman 30-01-2010 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by webglynne (Post 783586)
Is the fact that to play games ,for one, a certain number of times a day got anything with the fact there is so much rubbishing of posts?

They actually got nothin to say?

nah its more that not everyone is doom and gloom , in fear of dying from things such as bacon butties, masterbation, government conspiraceys,hidden chemicals in foods, "not many people know this" kind of facts and imigrants spreading disease

take it from someone with experience you only need to be very worried about your health when you either have blood pouring out your arse , severe sudden loss of weight or a rash in your private area that just wont go away or develop sudden urges to throw your self under passing cars.

personaly i think the balance between doom and gloom and humour is evenly balanced here and if you dont like it there is the option of sodding off which is your right to use at any time should you tire of us folk who appreciate a bit of a laugh :)

on a side note i would like to add that my advice about ironing printed t-shirts is a valid peice of information which i have no doubt will be appreciated by many a young man leaving home for the first time as us men are pretty damn useless on our first outing in life without mum to do our ironing and if i have at least saved one persons much adored t-shirt from tehir favourite bands concert i consider my good deed for teh year done

jaysay 30-01-2010 09:01

The only thing is accyman, when somebody puts on valid information its not being doom and gloom, I'll have the crack with anybody but not on health grounds, except my own:D