Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How Much Power Has Murdoch Got? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-much-power-has-murdoch-got-56563.html)

garinda 25-01-2011 15:28

re: How Much Power Has Murdoch Got?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 877960)
What point is supposed to be being made here ? An honest question as I really can't seem to follow the logic in comparison with the title & posts. :confused:

I think a retired Scottish footballer called Andy Gray, bought some natty check trousers, similar to Rupert Bear's.

There must have been a fault with the zip, resulting in an exposure of Gray's anatomy.

This made newspaper headlines.

A Mr. Murdoch was quoted in the press, questioning the power of modern zips.

Simple.

Fade to grey.

DaveinGermany 25-01-2011 15:59

Cheers Rindy, I was aware of that incident, but it's going back a while. Okay it has been brought back into the public eye at this time by the story in the paper at the start of this year. Furthermore Andy Gray has made himself headline news again in the last couple of days with his views on female officials.

Seeing as this tale has been highlighted by C'mon & knowing his leanings & tendencies, I can't help but feel that this is more about Murdoch cosying up with Cameron, as to any real empathy with a fellow Jockeen. ;)

Of course these are just my musings on the matter & I may well be way of the mark, still we're all individuals & have our own particular take on subjects don't we ?

garinda 25-01-2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 878009)
Cheers Rindy, I was aware of that incident, but it's going back a while. Okay it has been brought back into the public eye at this time by the story in the paper at the start of this year. Furthermore Andy Gray has made himself headline news again in the last couple of days with his views on female officials.

Seeing as this tale has been highlighted by C'mon & knowing his leanings & tendencies, I can't help but feel that this is more about Murdoch cosying up with Cameron, as to any real empathy with a fellow Jockeen. ;)

Of course these are just my musings on the matter & I may well be way of the mark, still we're all individuals & have our own particular take on subjects don't we ?

Yes, there was the question about Gray's anatomy being off-side, when the zip bust, and some wimmin not knowing if it was or not.

Apparently the zip wasn't made in China, thus the blame should really be laid at the door of right-wing capitalists.

jaysay 25-01-2011 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 878011)
Yes, there was the question about Gray's anatomy being off-side, when the zip bust, and some wimmin not knowing if it was or not.

Apparently the zip wasn't made in China, thus the blame should really be laid at the door of right-wing capitalists.

Which ever it was he got the sack:D

Gordon Booth 25-01-2011 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 877985)
The Murdoch empire already has too strong a foothold in UK media, along the lines of 39% of BSkyB plus assorted papers. A query is currently being looked at by the Competition Commission regarding whether it is acceptable to allow him to get a tighter grip.

It really doesn't do to have one company controlling too much news, it is already an extremely powerful tool and we have quite enough tabloid television too.

True. Would Silvio Beriusconi have survived so long if he didn't own the majority of the Italian media? (Well, maybe in Italy he would??).
If this empire grows like it's planned to we will have a KINGMAKER. In fact, perhaps with the empire as it is now we already have one.

setayas 25-01-2011 21:30

The problem with murdoch is that he thinks he has the right to determine the agenda in any market he sets his sights on. When I watch the output of his tv news networks from the US, I hope that such material could never be broadcast in this country. But I would be wrong in that hope. He really is no better than Hearst, Rothermere, Maxwell or Black. Nobody should have as much power in the marketplace of public opinion as this man wants and has in other countries.

cashman 25-01-2011 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 878100)
If this empire grows like it's planned to we will have a KINGMAKER. In fact, perhaps with the empire as it is now we already have one.

Yep n so has Hyndburn........even got a medal to prove it.:D

cmonstanley 25-01-2011 22:09

see i told you so,this is about flexing his muscles.mess with me and ill get you.lets see what happens to the other ones taking the notw to court will they be able to work again as murdoch controls most of the media and tv channels that show the majority of coverage.this stinks and will only get worse.

Barrie Yates 25-01-2011 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 878052)
Which ever it was he got the sack:D

He had someone (Keyes?), with him also making comments - has he been sacked as well???

cmonstanley 26-01-2011 03:50

no he has not

jaysay 26-01-2011 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 878161)
He had someone (Keys?), with him also making comments - has he been sacked as well???

Well I've heard this so called tape between Keys and Gray, Gray said very little really, he just agreed with what Keys said, but according to reports this morning Gray wasn't sacked for these comments but because of another tape which appeared on YouTube yesterday, regarding sexist comments he made to a female Sky colleague. Mind you to my way of thinking its a storm in a teacup really, has anybody actually ever watched Loose Women on ITV every lunchtime, if we're going to be pedantic with sexists comments take a butchers at those little loves ripping blokes to pieces for an hour 5 times a week:D

cmonstanley 26-01-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 878210)
Well I've heard this so called tape between Keys and Gray, Gray said very little really, he just agreed with what Keys said, but according to reports this morning Gray wasn't sacked for these comments but because of another tape which appeared on YouTube yesterday, regarding sexist comments he made to a female Sky colleague. Mind you to my way of thinking its a storm in a teacup really, has anybody actually ever watched Loose Women on ITV every lunchtime, if we're going to be pedantic with sexists comments take a butchers at those little loves ripping blokes to pieces for an hour 5 times a week:D

oh nooo im in agreement with you but we all know its been a witch hunt and richard keys has resigned stating dark forces have been at work and we know who they are

jaysay 27-01-2011 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 878335)
oh nooo im in agreement with you but we all know its been a witch hunt and richard keys has resigned stating dark forces have been at work and we know who they are

Well the fact is Andy Gray isn't an isolated case, take any bunch of lads going to a match on Saturday and finding out that a woman was running the line, the crack would be fierce, you know the old, should be at home making tea or doing the washing and ironing, using the hoover and admit CS I bet you'd do it too. The mistake Gray and Keys made was leaving their mikes on for the world to hear. I think Richard Keys had no option really but to resign as they were a double act like Ant and Deck. Also remember that these two are not the first to go for making comments on air in the same way, Rodney Marsh was sacked by Sky of making inappropriate comments and Ron Atkinson sacked by ITV for making racial comments about Marcel Desai in a Chelski Euro cup match. I think the answer is when your commentating make sure your mikes of if your having a private conversation or suffer the consequences;)

cmonstanley 27-01-2011 10:59

the thing is theyve been recorded and kept so it must have been pre-planned.

DaveinGermany 27-01-2011 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 878445)
the thing is theyve been recorded and kept so it must have been pre-planned.

Not necessarily C'mon, many things are recorded & kept in archives, how else would you get these blooper shows, film of past events, sporting, political etc, but it is somewhat strange that they're coming to light now at this precise time though.