Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn Council tax set to rise (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburn-council-tax-set-to-rise-56949.html)

garinda 23-02-2011 13:52

Re: Hyndburn Council tax set to rise

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 886475)
Have I changed nationality or have you got Jaysay's keyboard??? :eek:

Lol.

Very nearly in time for me to edit it to British, before the freakin' magic edit button vanished.

Must try harder next time.

(You, not me.)

More speed please. I'm afraid my haste is a constant cross I have to bear.

:D

Less 23-02-2011 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 886475)
Have I changed nationality or have you got Jaysay's keyboard??? :eek:

Excuse me, I didn't think I would have to use a copyright sign here on accyweb but, please bear in mind in future all jokes & references to Jaysays keyboard are:-

©Less

:cool:

(We just can't have a glut on the market, or it will become as blasé, as, ' after 13 years of'...).

:)

heth 23-02-2011 14:23

Do apologise Less, send the bill for using your joke to the council I am sure PB will pay for it :D

gynn 23-02-2011 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 886468)
You of all people should know that there are hundreds of savings to be made from what you termed 'box ticking' politics brought in by past governments but also many which are there just for symbolism in order to win meaningless awards that serve no function within the borough.

Yes there are certainly a lot of savings to be made in those areas, and to be fair, the savings identified in the budget report to Cabinet will go a long way towards sweeping away such meaningless work.

What concerns me in the list of savings is the assumption that additional income will be raised. It is one thing to reduce spending, but it is quite another to generate additional monies from outside the authority, especially when there will be fewer staff to carry out the work.

I refer particularly to the following:-

Additional Income from Pest Control £30,000. Yes you can increase prices, with inevitable consumer resistance, but where is this sort of extra money coming from? More rats and cockroaches, perhaps? And if its available, why has nobody been chasing it before?

Budget Re-Alignment Income - Environmental Health £40,500. What on earth is this? How does re-aligning your budgets increase the income from outside the authority?

Income from Better Waste Management £28,000. I thought the Council was already a top performer in waste management. What is it going to do that is even better?

Additional Fees from Regeneration £418,689. Aren't we in a recession? Who is going to pay the Council that sort of money for regenerating the borough in the next 12 months?

Additional Fees - Environmental Schemes £4,400. In a recession?

Accountancy Services - Increased Income £21,000. Who from? Where from?

Corporate Services Additional Income Generation £82,416. Who are they trying to kid? Corporate Services is the cradle of the bureaucratic pen pushers. No outside body would go anywhere near paying them to do anything.

If the answer given to any of the above is that it is increased charging between council departments, then that is a non answer. It is robbing Peter to pay Paul and generates zero extra income to the Council.

The list above totals well over £600,000. Councillors need to satisfy themselves that it is achievable, and achievable in the next 12 months.

garinda 23-02-2011 14:51

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886494)
It is robbing Peter to pay Paul

I suppose we should just count ourselves lucky we haven't got a Peter, Paul, and Mary, sat on the council.

That would be criminally funny.

jaysay 23-02-2011 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 886422)
If at first you don't succeed...

Cue for the usual jokes.
;)

God loves a trier Less:D:D

jaysay 23-02-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 886424)
Ken, that is spot on....the fact that he is an egomaniacal leader might also have something to do with why he blames everyone but himself..........whatever he thinks, he has to be accountable.

Ya know Margaret that reminds me of another bloke, now let me see what was is name ????????? ah thats it Gordon was his name:rolleyes:

jaysay 23-02-2011 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886462)
Okay, so let's sum up the suggestions put forward so far on Accy Web to meet the Council's savings target:-

a) Stop the lunchtime butties, saving , say, £5,000 a year,
b) Pay the illustrious Leader zilch, saving £43,000 a year,
c) Pawn the Leaders Medal, getting, say £50?, (is there VAT on that????)
d) Abolish Christmas in Hyndburn, saving £9,000,
e) Don't employ celebrity chefs, saving another £9,000,
f) BUT Reopen Peel Street Toilets, costing £10,000

A grand NET total of £56,050.

Job Done, and Everybody Happy.

Hold on, though. There is the little matter of a further £2,543,950 to be saved THIS YEAR alone, plus more next year.

Thinking Caps on again, it seems!

:confused::confused::confused:

No doubt Labour will they'll scrap the the recycling if they take control in May, that should do the trick gynn

Margaret Pilkington 23-02-2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886536)
Ya know Margaret that reminds me of another bloke, now let me see what was is name ????????? ah thats it Gordon was his name:rolleyes:

Yes, John....you are right.......I wonder if they are related!
Maybe Gordon's dad had a bike.

jaysay 23-02-2011 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 886540)
Yes, John....you are right.......I wonder if they are related!
Maybe Gordon's dad had a bike.

No he had the good book Margaret:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 23-02-2011 18:35

He might have had the good book...but it doesn't stop him having a bike as well......:)

jaysay 23-02-2011 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 886554)
He might have had the good book...but it doesn't stop him having a bike as well......:)

The last bloke who took to the road, if I remember rightly, did so on the back of an Ass:D

cashman 23-02-2011 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886536)

Yeh true, but Gordon never cocked Hyndburn Council up.:D n made the tories a laughing stock.:D

Margaret Pilkington 23-02-2011 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886556)
The last bloke who took to the road, if I remember rightly, did so on the back of an Ass:D

I had a very naughty thought, but I can't post it.......so I'll just go and say 10 Hail Mary's instead :D

Mancie 23-02-2011 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886556)

William Hague?.. what's he got to do with all this..:)