Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   is this sectarian ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/is-this-sectarian-57611.html)

cmonstanley 25-04-2011 09:38

is this sectarian ?

is this sectarian flying the flag of your country and singing penny arcade :confused: YouTube - 24th April 2011 Penny Arcade Pre Match Rangers V Celtic HD

garinda 25-04-2011 09:42

Re: is this sectarian ?

Accrington waits with bated breath.

Unsure, or is it unconcerned, as to the mentality of the Scots, when it comes to religion.

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 09:43

Penny arcade was fantastic yesterday.
Only those who can find something offensive about it will be offended.

jaysay 25-04-2011 09:45

The word football in conjunction with Jockland offends me:D

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 09:47

Theres nothing religious about in any way..
But like mentioned someone somewhere will find fault with it..
If anyone takes issue with a national flag being flown then they should bury their heads on friday.

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 09:49

Jockland...hmmm where is strange place I hear mentioned from time to time..?

jaysay 25-04-2011 09:51

Its nothing to do with religion anyway its more about utter stupidity, and we're talking two ways here, not a one edged sword

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 900716)
The word football in conjunction with Jockland offends me:D

Bit like England 'world cup favourites' does with me..

garinda 25-04-2011 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 900718)
Theres nothing religious about in any way.

But there is when it comes to Scottish football.

It's always one of the first thing you're asked up there.

'Which side ya from big man?;

So they can decide if you're a proddy dog, or a popish devil.

It'd be laughable, if it wasn't so sad.

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 900721)
Its nothing to do with religion anyway its more about utter stupidity, and we're talking two ways here, not a one edged sword

Why two ways?

glasgow guy 25-04-2011 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 900723)
But there is when it comes to Scottish football.

It's always one of the first thing you're asked up there.

'Which side ya from big man?;

So they can decide if you're a proddy dog, or a popish devil.

It'd be laughable, if it wasn't so sad.

I never disagree with anything you post mate but with that I do..
Having being from Scotland and lived there all my life I can say I was never ever ever asked that..the reason being there are separate pubs, schools and areas..sadly..
either you knocked about in the wrong circles or you knocked about with folk who took no interest in football and that was the generalisation and thoughts of those people..
I grew up in the east end if Glasgow as a rangers fan in a catholic area and never heard it.
Or its just the sensationalism that people south of the border want to believe..

garinda 25-04-2011 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 900731)
I never disagree with anything you post mate but with that I do..
Having being from Scotland and lived there all my life I can say I was never ever ever asked that..the reason being there are separate pubs, schools and areas..sadly..
either you knocked about in the wrong circles or you knocked about with folk who took no interest in football and that was the generalisation and thoughts of those people..
I grew up in the east end if Glasgow as a rangers fan in a catholic area and never heard it.
Or its just the sensationalism that people south of the border want to believe..

You were probably never asked because you were already labelled.

I was asked it in places as diverse as east end dives, to swanky west end dinner parties, by people as different as Big Issue sellers to players and management of the Old Firm teams.

;)

I love Scotland, especially Glasgow, that's why I moved there, but when it comes to religion and football, it turns normally sane people into loons.

garinda 25-04-2011 10:20

I'm only giving my experiences, as they happened, when introduced to someone, wanting to know your religion was one of the first thing I was always asked.

I found it odd, and amusing, because I soon realised it was fun not to tell them.

I've never been asked my religion in a social situation in England.

shillelagh 25-04-2011 10:21

spugs took his daughter into glasgow shopping and bought her a pressie from the celtic shop ... shes 15 ... walking through glasgow carrying the carrier bag ... a rangers supporter gave her a mouthful .... a 15 year old girl ... if spug had been on his own and carrying the bag i wonder if he'd have got the same ... and honestly if id have been there i'd have given him a mouthful back .... spugs didnt he was more concerned about his daughter .. a day out in glasgow .. and ruined by an idiot ..... oh and spugs is a celtic supporter .. but if i was up in glasgow .. by religon id be a rangers supporter .. especially with my background!!!

garinda 25-04-2011 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 900734)
I love Scotland, especially Glasgow, that's why I moved there, but when it comes to religion and football, it turns normally sane people into loons.

...and I include my best friend in that statement, after being held up in traffic in Glasgow by an Orange Day parade, only to see him wind the windows down, and join others in shouting mutual religious abuse.