Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Metal Theft (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/metal-theft-59508.html)

g jones 10-10-2011 23:22

Metal Theft

Join the campaign to get the government to act. We'll be launching an epetition soon and a Facebook page. This week Channel 4 conducted an interview for their fact check page. This issue is gaining interest nationally since it was raised.

You can read what Channel 4 factcheck say about this 'perfect crime' that is destroying Britain's infrastructure and putting people at serious risk.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/...ect-crime/8134

Neil 11-10-2011 00:33

Re: Metal Theft

Very interesting read that Graham, I hope something is done about it.

katex 11-10-2011 07:20

There was one last week in Lincolnshire which plunged certain areas into darkness. Inconsiderate idiots:

Lincolnshire business owners disgusted by 'mindless' electricity cable thieves | This is Lincolnshire

accyman 11-10-2011 07:25

on the upside the majority of deaths and injuries mentioned are suffered by the crooks who try to steal from things such as active substations and power lines. ;)

jaysay 11-10-2011 08:27

Its always puzzled me where these people get rid of their ill gotten gains, seeing there is always plenty of reports on these thefts (how do you explain where you got a manhole cover from:eek:)A clamp down on dodgy scrap metal dealers, may go a long way to sorting out this problem

cashman 11-10-2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 939191)
A clamp down on dodgy scrap metal dealers, may go a long way to sorting out this problem

That is the real problem, simple as, if yeh can't sell em- pointless stealing em.:rolleyes:

jaysay 11-10-2011 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 939210)
That is the real problem, simple as, if yeh can't sell em- pointless stealing em.:rolleyes:

Ya rocket science it isn't cashy;)

Neil 11-10-2011 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 939191)
Its always puzzled me where these people get rid of their ill gotten gains, seeing there is always plenty of reports on these thefts (how do you explain where you got a manhole cover from:eek:)A clamp down on dodgy scrap metal dealers, may go a long way to sorting out this problem

Dale Farm was a scrap yard in the early 60's and I doubt they were interested where scrap came from. Same thing is happening now with scrap being packaged in containers and sent abroad, often China.

Tealeaf 11-10-2011 16:02

Graham, exactly what amendments are being proposed to the old Scrap Metal law of 1964? Or is it to be replaced completely? I suspect that simply outlawing the cash tranaction aspect will fall far short of stopping the trade in stolen metal (and stone, for that matter).

walkinman221 11-10-2011 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 939281)
Graham, exactly what amendments are being proposed to the old Scrap Metal law of 1964? Or is it to be replaced completely? I suspect that simply outlawing the cash tranaction aspect will fall far short of stopping the trade in stolen metal (and stone, for that matter).

One word TAXATION ;)

Neil 11-10-2011 18:21

Here is a link to the LT about cable theft in Burnley http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ine_in_Burnley

phil8715 11-10-2011 23:13

I am glad that somebody is taking this up. Metal thefts doesn't only affect big companies, it also affects law abiding householders as well.

My flat I share with my partner has been hit 3 times in 3 years by metal thieves stealing lead flashing.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

g jones 13-10-2011 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 939281)

From Hansard
House of Commons Hansard Debates for 06 Sep 2011 (pt 0005)
Scroll to near bottom

I call on the Government to consider making the following changes. They should amend the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964. Instead of the current registration scheme, the UK needs a robust licensing regime, with scrap metal dealers paying a licence fee to fund the regulation of the licence. Property obtained through theft should be regarded as criminal assets; that would allow the provisions in the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to apply. In line with alcohol licensing powers, police authorities should have the power to search and investigate all premises owned and operated by a scrap metal dealer, and to close scrap metal dealers where criminally obtained materials are discovered. We should restrict trade in scrap metals to cashless payments, and introduce a requirement that scrap metal must not be sold or processed until payments have been cleared. Photo identification and CCTV should be used to identify sellers of scrap and their vehicles. Magistrates should have powers to add licence restrictions and prevent closed yards from re-opening, and criminal gangs should be charged in a way that is proportionate to the consequences of the crime, not the scrap metal value. I ask the Minister to use all his efforts to ensure that something is done before it is too late.

cmonstanley 13-10-2011 21:11

it is saying make new laws taxation petitions etc who would implement these as the tories say they are paying off 300,000 civil servants by 2015 which include police,ambulance,firemen ,taxmen etc:confused:

walkinman221 13-10-2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 939745)
From Hansard
House of Commons Hansard Debates for 06 Sep 2011 (pt 0005)
Scroll to near bottom

I call on the Government to consider making the following changes. They should amend the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964. Instead of the current registration scheme, the UK needs a robust licensing regime, with scrap metal dealers paying a licence fee to fund the regulation of the licence. Property obtained through theft should be regarded as criminal assets; that would allow the provisions in the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to apply. In line with alcohol licensing powers, police authorities should have the power to search and investigate all premises owned and operated by a scrap metal dealer, and to close scrap metal dealers where criminally obtained materials are discovered. We should restrict trade in scrap metals to cashless payments, and introduce a requirement that scrap metal must not be sold or processed until payments have been cleared. Photo identification and CCTV should be used to identify sellers of scrap and their vehicles. Magistrates should have powers to add licence restrictions and prevent closed yards from re-opening, and criminal gangs should be charged in a way that is proportionate to the consequences of the crime, not the scrap metal value. I ask the Minister to use all his efforts to ensure that something is done before it is too late.

How would this work for say a plumber who takes scrap into the scrap yard twice a year for a drink at christmas, he is now having to have photo id and bacs payments for a few quids worth of legitimate scrap.It seems to me that this is just a back door entrance for yet another tax where payments can be traced etc to gain revenue for hm government. This is another example of us being born free and taxed to death:rolleyes: