Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2009, 05:25   #1
God Member

6:25 M66 south shut by Bury

no idea why yet but closed both ways! i'm stuck in it so wish me luck! 8 police cars gone past me up to now so looks a biggy........

Posted via Mobile Device
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2009, 06:25   #2
God Member

Re: 6:25 M66 south shut by Bury

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
no idea why yet but closed both ways! i'm stuck in it so wish me luck! 8 police cars gone past me up to now so looks a biggy........

Posted via Mobile Device
Multi vehicle pile-up Ian. Highways agency says it should be back to normal by 12.15. Hope you don't need a pee
Old 24-06-2009, 07:15   #3
God Member

Posted via Mobile Devicejust been turned round. Now stuck trying to get back to hassy
Old 24-06-2009, 08:19   #4

At the time of writing (9:20) it's not bad northbound according to Google. Southbound it's bad from Summerseat back to Rising Bridge.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 08:42   #5
God Member

Heard on the news earlier that a motor cyclist was killed.
Old 24-06-2009, 09:29   #6
God Member

yep

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Biker dies in motorway collision

when we were tirned round I headed back to haslingden to get across to teh M65. it was stacked all teh way up to rising bridge. and all roads round edenfield etc were stuffed solid.

Finally got here at 10:05 so 4 hours door to door....

Still, RIP to teh poor lad who didn't make it to work today and to his family and friends

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 24-06-2009, 10:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Still, RIP to teh poor lad who didn't make it to work today and to his family and friends
Puts things in to perspective doesn't it. According to Telegraph he is from Accrington
Old 24-06-2009, 10:57   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Puts things in to perspective doesn't it. According to Telegraph he is from Accrington
It certainly does make you think. I spend many hours a week on the motorways and see all sorts of stupid things done by trucks, cars, coaches and bikes.

Only a couple of days ago I reported debris in the road to the Police to try and prevent an accident.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:05   #9
God Member

aye, no matter how good you drive there is that window of randomness that you just can't control.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 24-06-2009, 13:42   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
aye, no matter how good you drive there is that window of randomness that you just can't control.
I watched as a biker was almost killed in Ossy the other day. It was at the new and almost finished after 8 months work, Britannia Roundabout. He decided the red light and queue of traffic did not apply to him so he just overtook the cars on the blind bend. He was inches off being hit by a truck comming the other way
Old 24-06-2009, 14:14   #11
God Member

I have never learnt to drive and sometimes watching the way some people drive I am quite glad I didn't. They drive with absolutely no regard for their own or other peoples safety, cutting in and out of lanes on the motorway at stupid speeds. The devastation they could cause to other people seems to be of no concern to them. It is the height of selfishness IMHO.
Deepest Sympathy to the family of the young man who lost his life this morning may he RIP.
Old 24-06-2009, 16:19   #12

I was on the M66 this morning just before 6am, the biker over took me and then a few mins later I saw cars stopped ahead and loads of debris in the road. I slowed right down and saw pieces of the bike all over the road, I made my way round the debris and saw what I thought was just a bikers suit under the crash barrier in the middle of the road. Til I saw someone had put a coat over their head. Has made me completely sick to my stomach all day. I've never seen a dead body before and this has really shook me up. Feel so sorry for his family and friends. RIP.

Plus it was right where I had my crash 8 weeks ago when I wrote my car off.

Last edited by Kisser; 24-06-2009 at 16:24. Reason: Remembered something else.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 20:04   #13
God Member

Turns out I know this poor mans wife, she only buried here dad a short while ago. Poor girl must be distraught. I hope and pray she can find the strength to get through this.
Old 24-06-2009, 20:25   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser View Post
I made my way round the debris and saw what I thought was just a bikers suit under the crash barrier in the middle of the road. Til I saw someone had put a coat over their head.
I used to work with a bloke who hit the crash barrier at 90mph on a bike while out for a ride with his son. There is not much left after that.

My father in law was hit from being by a truck while stood still in parked traffic on the M66. He was thrown across the motorway and into the crash barrier while being hit by other cars. I think the air bag and seat belt saved his life that day. Its about time bikes were taken of the road. they are constantly improving the safety of cars with air bags and crumple zones etc - what improvements do you get for bike safety, grippy handle bars?
Old 24-06-2009, 22:03   #15

How very sad for his family RIP

Neil i cant agree more with you Its about time bikes were taken of the road
my son has just moved to Cheltenham for work and he needs a bike as only limited parking for cars but plenty of spaces for bikes he has never been on a bike and now faces doing his bike test im worried sick at the thought of it.
one thing in life i dislike is motorbikes
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..