Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Going far too far! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/going-far-too-far-60557.html)

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 07:14

Going far too far!

I was left speechless after reading this in the Mail online this morning...

Night vision goggles being used in dog fouling crackdown by council wardens | Mail Online

Please, someone, tell me the Mail is making this up

cashman 01-02-2012 07:36

Re: Going far too far!

Wonder what this will cost in these times of austerity? This ridiculous thing was mentioned to me yesterday dinner, H.B.C. at its most sensible?:D

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2012 07:40

Wasn't this the lead story for the Lancashire Telegraph recently.
It was in the last few days that I read it.

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 07:40

Hate to say it Bob, but I just googled it, it's all over the place.
Speaking of costs that Nikon Dslr our warden is holding in the Mail photo, looks rather expensive, not to mention the lens, looks like a good few thousand were wasted there.

Benipete 01-02-2012 07:55

Didn't I read somewhere that one of our councilors was a keen photographer.No couldn't be I'm just being cynical again.:confused:

Or am I?;):D

Less 01-02-2012 08:13

Well, if you don't like it, fight modern technology with modern technology, if you see someone wandering around in a lonely spot, at night, in plain clothes, wearing these things.
Whip out your mobile phone and ring the Police, we can't have peeping Tom's wandering around, surely the public needs to be protected from suspected perverts?
Mind you, if they can't see you long before you can see them, the glasses ain't much use are they?

Or, more simply, couldn't dog owners take responsibility for their pets obey the law, then the wardens won't have to act in this rediculous manner.

How long before someone comes on saying that George Orwell predicted this? (I think actually his 'big brother' wasn't really concerned about dogs).

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 08:17

I would be careful if was a Dog Warden, the dogs might get their own back.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/137884.jpg

However I kind of agree with Less, as having had many dogs in my life, it is easy to pick up the mess and put it in a bin.
What scares me is this, is it a real problem? I mean enough to spend thousands on.....

jaysay 01-02-2012 08:25

Well I did see this myself yesterday in the Mail but thought the usual suspects would have ridiculed me for again referring to that publication. Mind you it does conjure to the image of Mossy creeping about at night with the long range lens on his Camera:camera8::D

Wynonie Harris 01-02-2012 08:31

Doubtless one of the HBC Labour councillors who were mouthing off left, right and centre on here when they were in opposition will be along shortly to explain and justify this move. :rolleyes:

garinda 01-02-2012 08:37

I'd heard a rumour that people were using these night vision goggles.

In order to try and catch the dirty doggers at it.

Shocking.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 08:55

I did a little quick check on prices via Amazon.

Yukon Tracker 1x24 Night Vision Goggles £573.80 per pair

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm VR Lens Kit) rrp.£779.99

Blackrock Workwear Highland Waterproof High Visibility Hi-Vis Work Jacket - Outer £35.95

So that is £1389.74

Just to kit out one snooper.

That is just over the council tax amount charged for a band 'C' property.

Then you have to add in the cost of a van and the overtime.

And all this for a bit of dog muck?

Someone, somewhere, has far too little with which to occupy themselves and far too much of our money to amuse themselves with.

And that is not even taking into account the invasion of privacy aspects of this ridiculous behaviour.

jaysay 01-02-2012 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 966811)
Doubtless one of the HBC Labour councillors who were mouthing off left, right and centre on here when they were in opposition will be along shortly to explain and justify this move. :rolleyes:

Seem to remember around this time last year, that I said to our erstwhile politicos that when they took control at HBC and things started to go pear shaped that we wouldn't see them for dust on here, I was ridiculed at the time and the then very vociferous councillor Moss said he would always come on here and explain the ruling groups policies whatever they were popular or unpopular, seems white man he speak with forked tongue;)

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 09:20

Oh well, after a bit of digging it turns out that the motion that set this ridiculous performance in motion was presented to the council by none other than the follicly challenged Cllr. Moss.

It was the next item on the agenda after the Kashmiri business. Apparently you can now be fined £1,000 for allowing your pooch to sully the sacred streets and parks of our fair borough. And more, your neighbours are now being encouraged to inform on you.

Isn't that how the STASI started in East Germany?

The collectivist agenda proceeds apace.

accyman 01-02-2012 09:28

dear god i didnt realise it was our very own council until i read the article.When you hear of idiotic things like this its usualy some area down south.

all the mouthing off about needing to make cuts and reduce silly financial waste and not to mention the things they have cut to pay for this idiotic.

If you should happen to see one of these council employees wearing night vision goggles it is customary and considered rude not to shine your torch at their eyes

Less 01-02-2012 09:44

Firstly, let me state that I am all for pet owners of any kind to act responsibly, after all, it IS your animal, you have no right to let it crap just anywhere.

Secondly, let me state that I am all for our erstwhile friends that deserted us when they gained control of HBC to act even more responsibly when it comes to spending our hard earned.

Thirdly, I can see absolutely no point in dog wardens sneaking around in plain clothes so as to be difficult to detect, then, thanks to H&S having to don the following:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966818)

Blackrock Workwear Highland Waterproof High Visibility Hi-Vis Work Jacket - Outer £35.95

This thread just shows that the lunies are definately running our particular little asylum.

What next?

Turn the street lights off so that our litter Police can also act in a similar manner in the town centre after dark? (mossey, I know you no longer post, but you sure as hell read what we say. Let me state plainly, the litter Police thing is NOT a suggestion that I wish you to act on, all I want is for you and the other members of your band to represent your town responsibly).

jaysay 01-02-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966829)
Oh well, after a bit of digging it turns out that the motion that set this ridiculous performance in motion was presented to the council by none other than the follicly challenged Cllr. Moss.

It was the next item on the agenda after the Kashmiri business. Apparently you can now be fined £1,000 for allowing your pooch to sully the sacred streets and parks of our fair borough. And more, your neighbours are now being encouraged to inform on you.

Isn't that how the STASI started in East Germany?

The collectivist agenda proceeds apace.

Well maybe when Councillor Moss next logs on here for a shufty, he might like to enter his password in that little box on the top right hand corner of his screen and tell us the reasoning behind this extravagance, extravagance to was so ready to condemn while in opposition:rolleyes: I ain't holding my breath

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 966838)
Firstly, let me state that I am all for pet owners of any kind to act responsibly, after all, it IS your animal, you have no right to let it crap just anywhere.

I quite agree with you on that point Less. There can be few things more inconvenient and annoying than a shoeful of Doggy doos. Just in the same way that there can be few things more calculated to annoy than finding your garden turned into a toilet by the neighbourhood cats or the footpath blocked with steaming piles of horse turds.

I have no problem with cleaning up after Acrylic-Biff, it is a minor inconvenience more than amply compensated for by the fun and companionship he offers me. But surely, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too. Why are only dog owners the targets here?

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 10:01

Could it possibly be that, like smokers, we are easy targets.

Less 01-02-2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966849)
Could it possibly be that, like smokers, we are easy targets.

Yes.

There are bigger nuts the Council paid for, sledge hammer could be cracking than this.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 10:27

And while we are at it, now that you mention it, How many sledge hammers did the council shell out for, and how much did they cost?

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2012 10:33

was it more than the nuts? :)

MargaretR 01-02-2012 10:39

I notice that all who have posted here have assumed that what was reported is true.
You have been shown a photo of the 'gear'.

There is nothing to prevent such equipment being hired for a photoshoot.

What matters is the public perception that the equipment has been bought and will be used.

That is the deterrant to offending.
Whether or not the council has that gear won't be known until it has been used to catch an offender.

Less 01-02-2012 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 966865)
I notice that all who have posted here have assumed that what was reported is true.
You have been shown a photo of the 'gear'.

There is nothing to prevent such equipment being hired for a photoshoot.

What matters is the public perception that the equipment has been bought and will be used.

That is the deterrant to offending.
Whether or not the council has that gear won't be known until it has been used to catch an offender.

The above is the start of yet another conspiracy theory straight from the droppings of the farmers prize bull.

When, my dear fantasist, (term of affection), are you going to start looking at the real world rather than your doomsday for amateurs web pages?

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 10:56

Margaret, you have a point luv (see Terms of Endearment). Its a bit like the TV detector vans, I never thought of that.

Although if they have bought the gear, the Nikon looks more like the D7000 which is around
£1000.00 plus a darn big lens which must have cost a good few hundred.

Less 01-02-2012 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 966869)
Margaret, you have a point luv (see Terms of Endearment). Its a bit like the TV detector vans, I never thought of that.

She hasn't got a point, the detector vans were always a big con, anyone with just a smattering of understanding of electronics could have told you the so called coils on top of the van would have been useless for detecting anything except a low bridge by driving under it!
Do you see them around now? Do you see adverts on the beeb claiming they can even detect tellys in flats?

No, you don't and the reason for that is because it is illegal to use such false claims.
The same goes for the council, if they have claimed they have these over-priced articles with the intention of using them, then they had better have them & use them, or else what they claim is false and illegal.

MargaretR 01-02-2012 11:56

...please note - governments, both local and National, never do anything illegal:rolleyes::D

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2012 12:04

Well, that is, not unless they get caught doing something illegal.

MargaretR 01-02-2012 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 966875)
Well, that is, not unless they get caught doing something illegal.

They make the laws and can make them 'retrospective'.

Less 01-02-2012 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 966873)
...please note - governments, both local and National, never do anything illegal:rolleyes::D

Of course, we have had you say in many a post that you never lie, (lier, lier, pants on fire,(term of accusation)), so everything you post MUST be the truth, how foolish of me.

Note to self, get in touch with HBC and demand that as a council tax ower, I too should be allowed the irritation of hearing strange and unexplained noises within the area, they would make a change from the wierd bullshine Mags, (term of endearment), floods accyweb with.

I wonder, if dog owners have to pick up their crap, can she not be made to pick up the trail of it she leaves all over AccyWeb?

Eric 01-02-2012 12:40

Great thread .... I just love a good laugh to go along with my first pot of coffee.:D

MargaretR 01-02-2012 12:49

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 966881)
Of course, we have had you say in many a post that you never lie, (lier, lier, pants on fire,(term of accusation)), so everything you post MUST be the truth, how foolish of me.

Note to self, get in touch with HBC and demand that as a council tax ower, I too should be allowed the irritation of hearing strange and unexplained noises within the area, they would make a change from the wierd bullshine Mags, (term of endearment), floods accyweb with.

I wonder, if dog owners have to pick up their crap, can she not be made to pick up the trail of it she leaves all over AccyWeb?

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 966871)
She hasn't got a point, the detector vans were always a big con, anyone with just a smattering of understanding of electronics could have told you the so called coils on top of the van would have been useless for detecting anything except a low bridge by driving under it!
Do you see them around now? Do you see adverts on the beeb claiming they can even detect tellys in flats?

No, you don't and the reason for that is because it is illegal to use such false claims.
The same goes for the council, if they have claimed they have these over-priced articles with the intention of using them, then they had better have them & use them, or else what they claim is false and illegal.

I stand corrected Less luv.

Eric 01-02-2012 13:33

Just read the article again. What is that moronic dog warden yakking about? Blindness caused by piles of dog poo:confused: If the sight of Hyndburn residents is a concern, then surely the next move will be to ban games like conkers ... oops, I get the feeling someone is going to tell me that this has already been done:rolleyes: The article gets funnier with every read. And these clowns take themselves soooo seriously.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 13:33

For those of you with more patience and time to spare than I, this is the legislation that covers Council Sh1t-snoopers...

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000

-luv.

accyman 01-02-2012 13:54

im all for people getting fined for letting their pooch poop and not clean up after it but this is just ludricous

out of curisoisty if some nosey neigbour spots someone not cleaning up after their dog and reports their neighbour does C.S.I Hyndburn get called out to DNA test the dog poop to the offending dog or is a nosey neighbours word golden and unquestionable ?

britcliff had his rose tinted spectacles and these lot have turd smeared goggles

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 966896)
What is that moronic dog warden yakking about? Blindness caused by piles of dog poo:confused: .

There are about 10 cases of Toxocaraisis in the whole of the UK every year. So if all dog poo is picked up immediatly that will stop the 1 case every 100 years(proportionately) which might occur in HBC.Right?

Wrong! Once the poo is on the grass the parasites and their eggs are left there even when the poo is removed.Another ill thought out emotional argument.
Dog poo is a disgusting problem but HBCs reaction to it is also disgusting. Also if he's on night shift(double time?) who is looking out for the many more daytime poo droppers?

By the way, even if it's a good camera surely it can't take pictures in the dark?

accyman 01-02-2012 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 966900)
There are about 10 cases of Toxocaraisis in the whole of the UK every year. So if all dog poo is picked up immediatly that will stop the 1 case every 100 years(proportionately) which might occur in HBC.Right?

i wonder how many of those cases are caused by cats.All im saying is i often see dog owners pick up their dogs poop but i have NEVER seen a cat owner follow their cat outside and clean up after it

cashman 01-02-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 966807)
Well I did see this myself yesterday in the Mail but thought the usual suspects would have ridiculed me for again referring to that publication. Mind you it does conjure to the image of Mossy creeping about at night with the long range lens on his Camera:camera8::D

Well hes got plenty of time,since he fled from accyweb.:rolleyes::D

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 966902)
i wonder how many of those cases are caused by cats.All im saying is i often see dog owners pick up their dogs poop but i have NEVER seen a cat owner follow their cat outside and clean up after it

Good point! The parasites live in round worms and both cats and dogs have them.
Only answer for HBC-totally ban all cats and dogs!

cashman 01-02-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 966904)

Shut up Gordon, there daft enough.:eek::D;)

Eric 01-02-2012 15:06

Quote:

Wrong! Once the poo is on the grass the parasites and their eggs are left there even when the poo is removed.Another ill thought out emotional argument.
Dog poo is a disgusting problem but HBCs reaction to it is also disgusting. Also if he's on night shift(double time?) who is looking out for the many more daytime poo droppers?

By the way, even if it's a good camera surely it can't take pictures in the dark?

Of course, one could always slip on the doggie poo and damage one's eye on a sharp stone.:rolleyes:

Eric 01-02-2012 15:14

Quote:

Don't give them any more crazy ideas ... or as soon as they come up with an expensive and unworkable scheme, they will implement it. Am I right in assuming that dog poop on the sidewalks is the most pressing problem facing Hyndburn after what is going on in Kashmir?

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 15:24

Yeah, spot on there, Eric, luv. The streets are ankle deep in the stuff. We've all got worms and Toxocariasis is endemic. The smell on a summers day... well, you can imagine. Apart from that the old place is just fine, luv.

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 966913)
Of course, one could always slip on the doggie poo and damage one's eye on a sharp stone.:rolleyes:

There's more chance of doing that, Eric. Toxocariasis is readily diagnosable, easy to treat and almost never gets to develop far enough to cause blindness(NHS website).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 966915)
Don't give them any more crazy ideas ... or as soon as they come up with an expensive and unworkable scheme, they will implement it. Am I right in assuming that dog poop on the sidewalks is the most pressing problem facing Hyndburn after what is going on in Kashmir?

Some people believe dogs to be unclean, even if they never pooped.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 966925)
Toxocariasis is readily diagnosable, easy to treat and almost never gets to develop far enough to cause blindness(NHS website).

More info to counter HBC's hysterical overreaction.

Sadly, most people’s knowledge of the rare Toxocara canis infection is limited to hearsay and hysterical media reports. However the facts are:

• As the eggs of the Toxocara worm take over two weeks to hatch and become active, there are no health risks to you from immediately clearing up after your dog.
  • In tests, only five per cent of pet dogs were found to expel Toxocara worm eggs.
  • Of this five per cent, the majority were pups between two weeks and six months of age or pregnant bitches.
  • Foxes and cats also act as hosts to the Toxocara worm.
  • The incidence of all Toxocara-induced diseases in the UK is only two cases per million of the population. However, this still means that about 40 people are needlessly ill each year.
  • The eggs of the Toxocara worm, if deposited in soil, can lie dormant for up to three years, if the conditions are right. They are highly resilient to temperature changes and chemical disinfectants have little effect on them.
    Source: ( Dogs Trust - Home)

(My emphasis)

Neil 01-02-2012 15:54

Quote:

So what would you suggest?

I disagree about more people not picking up during day light. He works shifts anyway so there might not be any extra wages costs. Is double time a guess or a fact for working evenings?

I think this is a good idea but what I want to see is how many people are being caught and fined in the paper each week.

I have noticed a lot more dog mess on our streets and in the parks at the moment. It is always the same at this time of year when it is dark. More people than usual decide not to pick up the mess because they assume they wont be seen by anyone.

Used correctly this equipment could soon be paid for by the extra fines handed out and we could have less mess on the streets.

If anyone has a better idea then why not suggest it instead of just moaning about our council trying to keep our borough clean?

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 15:56

Incidentally, the mover of the motion is Cllr Moss of Rishton, which has a very healthy and growing population of Foxes.

Neil 01-02-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966930)
Incidentally, the mover of the motion is Cllr Moss of Rishton, which has a very healthy and growing population of Foxes.

Well done Ken, what have foxes to do with it?

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 966929)

If anyone has a better idea then why not suggest it instead of just moaning about our council trying to keep our borough clean?

No one is suggesting that owners should not clean up after their pets. We are complaining about the ludicrous overreaction, the unecessary expense and making a laughing stock of the borough in the national press into the bargain, luv.

And another thing, no one has yet come up with a reason why the owners of horses and cats should not also be required to clean up after their pets.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 966933)
Well done Ken, what have foxes to do with it?

No, Neil. Not well done Ken.

Foxes also carry the toxocara worm and are a significant vector for the disease. Does Ken Moss now intend bringing another motion before the council to compell foxes to clear up after themselves on penalty of a fine?

maxthecollie 01-02-2012 16:13

Dogs are now given an additive with their food so they can pass luminous poo.

Less 01-02-2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 966945)
Dogs are now given an additive with their food so they can pass luminous poo.

No need to clear it up then, if your out at night and you see something glowing green, it's either the dog warden with his night specs and safety jacket or else a dog turd, no-one would want to step on either.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:20

Oh lord, I'd better not let Acrylic-Biff see this. I'm not sure I can cope with Disco Pooh. Know what I mean, luv?

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 16:24

Luminous poo....that will get the conspiracy lot going mad. Luv

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:29

I suppose you could dry it and string it on necklaces and flog em at concerts, luv. Would beat chucking it down the cludgy.

accyman 01-02-2012 16:31

Quote:

i wouldnt ban them but would like to see laws passed saying all cats must be on a lead when outdoors and cleaned up after.I know it isnt really an option but it would cut down on complaints from neighbours after i drop kick their filthy moggy back over my fence :)

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 966958)
but it would cut down on complaints from neighbours after i drop kick their filthy moggy back over my fence :)

It's not the animal's fault, they are only obeying instinct, and there is no reasoning with that. If anyone deserves drop kicking it is irresponsible owners, luv.

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 16:38

Luminous poo!
If you didn't clean it up once there was enough you could turn the street lighting off and save electricity. Although some people would then complain there was no room left for their dog to poop.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:42

You've just given me a marvellous idea, gordon, luv.

Town centre christmas lights, what a talking point. Accrington, The town illuminated by dog crap.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 16:44

Or even better:

Hyndburn Borough Council, Not only do they talk crap, but they use it to illuminate the market with.

Less 01-02-2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 966915)

Not much on the pavement, we have terror squads of dog owners letting them crap in the woods.
How does the bear warden cope where you are? Does he have this much of a problem?

cashman 01-02-2012 17:07

Quote:

I think this is a good idea

Why am i not surprised?:rolleyes:

jaysay 01-02-2012 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 966973)
Why am i not surprised?:rolleyes:

Hallelujah:D

Neil 01-02-2012 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966936)
No one is suggesting that owners should not clean up after their pets. We are complaining about the ludicrous overreaction, the unecessary expense and making a laughing stock of the borough in the national press into the bargain, luv.

And another thing, no one has yet come up with a reason why the owners of horses and cats should not also be required to clean up after their pets.

So you don't agree with this and think it is unnecessary. What do you suggest they do to sort out the dog dirt issue that will cost less than this?

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 18:26

Quote:

So what would you suggest?

I disagree about more people not picking up during day light. He works shifts anyway so there might not be any extra wages costs. Is double time a guess or a fact for working evenings?

I think this is a good idea but what I want to see is how many people are being caught and fined in the paper each week.

I have noticed a lot more dog mess on our streets and in the parks at the moment. It is always the same at this time of year when it is dark. More people than usual decide not to pick up the mess because they assume they wont be seen by anyone.

Used correctly this equipment could soon be paid for by the extra fines handed out and we could have less mess on the streets.

Neil,you want to know how many people are being caught and fined?
50 people have been fined in HBC in 3 years!That's one every 3 weeks, raising £3750 pounds.
This is the result won by a team of dog wardens(number not specified) who as you say work shifts and I assume full time.
If HBC suffers so badly from dog fouling how come that's the best they can do? It's they who should be fined for failure to perform.
Equip them with expensive night vision glasses and cameras? Come on, that's going too far-if they can't catch anyone in daylight what chance have they in the dark?
Cost effective? There's still poo everywhere(as you say) and this team have raised £25/week in fines(less the administration costs!). So perhaps we can agree it's not cost effective and it's not working.
Everyone on this thread has agreed that leaving your dogs poo in a public place is disgraceful- the fuss is about the stupid expensive idea of night vision glasses and fancy cameras.

Neil 01-02-2012 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 967014)
Neil,you want to know how many people are being caught and fined?
50 people have been fined in HBC in 3 years!That's one every 3 weeks, raising £3750 pounds.
This is the result won by a team of dog wardens(number not specified) who as you say work shifts and I assume full time.
If HBC suffers so badly from dog fouling how come that's the best they can do? It's they who should be fined for failure to perform.
Equip them with expensive night vision glasses and cameras? Come on, that's going too far-if they can't catch anyone in daylight what chance have they in the dark?
Cost effective? There's still poo everywhere(as you say) and this team have raised £25/week in fines(less the administration costs!). So perhaps we can agree it's not cost effective and it's not working.
Everyone on this thread has agreed that leaving your dogs poo in a public place is disgraceful- the fuss is about the stupid expensive idea of night vision glasses and fancy cameras.

There is 1 dog warden in Hyndburn.

You say you all agree its disgraceful but the idea the council has had is stupid but no one has come up with a better idea yet. Everyone on this thread has moaned, like a lot of you like to, but no positive suggestions to sort out the problem.

jaysay 01-02-2012 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 967018)

You say you all agree its disgraceful but the idea the council has had is stupid but no one has come up with a better idea yet. Everyone on this thread has moaned, like a lot of you like to, but no positive suggestions to sort out the problem.

Night goggles sure as hell ain't one

Less 01-02-2012 18:43

Quote:

You aren't exactly being inspirational with ideas yourself and I would observe that the above quote is a bit, well no, not a bit but alot of a moan itself.

We might not be full of any good ideas for solving the problem, but blatently throwing money we can ill afford at it isn't the correct way either.

Gordon Booth 01-02-2012 18:55

Quote:

The report we're discussing(MAIL) says there's a team.If it's wrong fair enough, one full time warden catches one person every three weeks-does that sound any better? No, not really.
Solutions-not easy. Fit the night visions to a sniper rifle? One kill every 3 weeks still isn't good.
Give him a target to meet and push him to meet it and increase the fine and publish names-it doesn't look like it will take up much room in the Observer.But £1000? I can join in a riot in London for a lot less than that.

Eric 01-02-2012 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 967032)
The report we're discussing(MAIL) says there's a team.If it's wrong fair enough, one full time warden catches one person every three weeks-does that sound any better? No, not really.
Solutions-not easy. Fit the night visions to a sniper rifle? One kill every 3 weeks still isn't good.
Give him a target to meet and push him to meet it and increase the fine and publish names-it doesn't look like it will take up much room in the Observer.But £1000? I can join in a riot in London for a lot less than that.

I can't see why they need even one. It's not as if spotting a dog taking a dump needs special skills, or even special equipment. I presume that Hyndburn has by-law enforcement officers who ticket cars and report infractions of property standards by-laws. Can't they be trained to identify offending animals (not the dogs; the irresponsible low lifes who own them) ... a few pics of what a dumping dog looks like and you are off and running.

mobertol 01-02-2012 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 967038)
I can't see why they need even one. It's not as if spotting a dog taking a dump needs special skills, or even special equipment. I presume that Hyndburn has by-law enforcement officers who ticket cars and report infractions of property standards by-laws. Can't they be trained to identify offending animals (not the dogs; the irresponsible low lifes who own them) ... a few pics of what a dumping dog looks like and you are off and running.

A national "Canine" DNA bank could solve the problem - samples found in undesignated areas for fouling could then be tested and the perpetrator identified!:D

I hope Acrylic-Biff is well-behaved and never escapes his owners control -could turn out to be expensive to have pet with a sense of adventure.:rolleyes:

susie123 01-02-2012 19:42

The Lancs Telegraph website on 29 Jan says that Hyndburn’s team of dog wardens are to use covert techniques to crackdown on the problem including the use of plain clothes officers and surveillance vans after an increase in complaints but a council report on the dog warden service from last November suggests there is only one warden and his duties involve a lot more than looking for dog poo.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ice_Update.pdf

mobertol 01-02-2012 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 967051)
The Lancs Telegraph website on 29 Jan says that Hyndburn’s team of dog wardens are to use covert techniques to crackdown on the problem including the use of plain clothes officers and surveillance vans after an increase in complaints but a council report on the dog warden service from last November suggests there is only one warden and his duties involve a lot more than looking for dog poo.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ice_Update.pdf

They are only allowed to look for 4 legged offenders.:confused:

Drunks, grafitti artists, vandals and hooligans fouling the streets will presumably carry on undisturbed...:rolleyes:

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 967054)
They are only allowed to look for 4 legged offenders.:confused:

Drunks, grafitti artists, vandals and hooligans fouling the streets will presumably carry on undisturbed...:rolleyes:

That's the job of the Police Community Support Officers luv, oh hold on they aren't allowed to, Heath and safety luv's won't let them luv

MargaretR 01-02-2012 20:15

The two environmental health officers who visited me a few years ago don't sit behind desks all day.

They visit problem sites too.

I supplied them with the car reg no of the woman who visited Heys field with three labradors twice a day, and the usual times she visited - they did follow up that info.

Benipete 01-02-2012 20:33

I think someone Is taking the pi.whoops sorry wrong hole again,sorry luv.:confused::D

garinda 01-02-2012 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 935743)
no one has been issuing orders to stay away from Accyweb...I'll never dodge a direct question and will give comments on anything people ask of me but my absence recently has nothing to do with Labour being in control.

Some politicans are like sexually transmitted diseases.

Rather irritating at first.

Then easy to ignore, when there's no sign of further symptoms.

Almost as if it had completely disappeared.

That is until the poor little knob falls off.

Less 01-02-2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 967078)
Some politicans are like sexually transmitted diseases.

Rather irritating at first.

Then easy to ignore, when there's no sign of further symptoms.

Almost as if it had completely disappeared.

That is until the poor little knob falls off.

I have never had a politician or an STD, obviously you are speaking from having the experience of both so that you can compare, so tell us, if you had to choose, which one would you prefer to have again?

Chuck.

:0

garinda 01-02-2012 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 967083)
I have never had a politician or an STD, obviously you are speaking from having the experience of both so that you can compare, so tell us, if you had to choose, which one would you prefer to have again?

Chuck.

:0

Can't say I have.

I did have a cold sore, and have done the Twist with Michael Portillo.

Herpes wins, every time.

;)

cashman 01-02-2012 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 935743)
......no one has been issuing orders to stay away from Accyweb (or indeed the web in general)..........
I'll never dodge a direct question and will give comments on anything people ask of me but my absence recently has nothing to do with Labour being in control.

Well i can remember quite a few issues were silence is golden Ken, not just by you of course, but "All" those who had quite a lot to say on everything virtually the P.B. brigade said/did, So thats how it looks to me n i dare say quite a few others.:rolleyes: So spineless is the word i would use if no-ones been issuing orders.

garinda 01-02-2012 21:45

Quote:

Alkies playing the fool near benches?

Remove the benches.

Problem solved.

Li'l kiddies being blinded by animal plop-plops?

Do a King Herrod.

Cull the lot of 'em.

Problem solved.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Ra-ra skirts, big hair, and loony left councils.

The eighties are certainly back in vogue.

Not many of the first two evident here in Hyndburn, but we definitely have the latter.

Only difference being, rather than being a Nuclear Free Zone, we support the Kashmiris, and are prepared to take one (an Indian nuclear missile) for the mountain boys.

Eric 01-02-2012 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 967114)
Well i can remember quite a few issues were silence is golden Ken, not just by you of course, but "All" those who had quite a lot to say on everything virtually the P.B. brigade said/did, So thats how it looks to me n i dare say quite a few others.:rolleyes: So spineless is the word i would use if no-ones been issuing orders.

I've noticed, and probably you have too big guy (Canadian "term of endearment";):D), that a politician campaigning for office spouts ideas, opinions, policies, extolls his own qualities for office ... one of which is usually accessability, his willingness to keep in continual contact with his constituents etc. etc. etc. .... Yet once elected he spouts meaningless crocks of horse manure, and becomes invisible and unavailable until the next election:rolleyes:

cashman 01-02-2012 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 967152)
I've noticed, and probably you have too big guy (Canadian "term of endearment";):D), that a politician campaigning for office spouts ideas, opinions, policies, extolls his own qualities for office ... one of which is usually accessability, his willingness to keep in continual contact with his constituents etc. etc. etc. .... Yet once elected he spouts meaningless crocks of horse manure, and becomes invisible and unavailable until the next election:rolleyes:

Oh ive noticed Eric, But its those who say they aint going nowhere, Its like Red Rag To A Bull.:D;)

accyman 02-02-2012 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966962)
It's not the animal's fault, they are only obeying instinct, and there is no reasoning with that. If anyone deserves drop kicking it is irresponsible owners, luv.

was joking sweetie i would never drop kick a cat that would mean touching the damn thing.

mind you they sure dont like pole cats ;)

now im off for a shower calling you sweetie just left me feeling unclean :(

Ken Moss 02-02-2012 00:38

I've been talking to someone from West Lancashire Council tonight who knows me well and has ribbed me about this 'night vision goggles' story, telling me that it is doing the rounds all over the net and a quick Google search brought up an Accyweb thread as one of the options.

I have to tell you all that it's a load of rubbish, no one on the Labour side has a clue where it has come from and although we're making a concerted effort to tackle the dog fouling problem we certainly aren't spending thousands on night vision glasses.

I would urge any resident to keep examining council decisions no matter who is running it but just bear in mind that the newspapers only give you a version of the truth. The LT is generally a pretty good paper and The Accrington Observer has improved no end recently by shifting back to reporting more on what communities are doing rather than simply politicians but mistakes are still going to slip through.

I've always maintained that I'll answer any question as factually as I can and anything I don't know can be found out for you. However, when after two years of posting those facts are suddenly distrusted purely because my party is running the council I'm inclined to think that most people in my situation would probably give up trying with Accyweb as well.

For those of you who have had a pop at me in this thread, my absence from Accyweb is a matter of losing interest in debating with members who have suddenly turned on me because I'm now part of the controlling group. As I've said before, repeatedly reporting the facts only to have them spun into something else wears thin fairly quickly.

It's a great forum, I've tried to get more people using it since I first stumbled across it, but most of you now seem to doubt what I'm saying for some reason and so the enjoyment has been kicked out of it for me. No one has ordered me or any of the other Labour members to stay away but I don't want to be part of a forum where I am made out to be something I'm not.

Put simply, it's stopped being fun.

DaveinGermany 02-02-2012 05:20

With every wish (being in power) there comes a curse (taking abuse) that's the way of the World.

garinda 02-02-2012 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 967160)
Put simply, it's stopped being fun.

What a shame.

Was it only 'fun' for you, when you used this forum to attack the then ruling group, and make personal attacks on the former leader?

Diddums.

:dummy2:

For those unable to take the heat, the kitchen door's always open for them to leave.

Bye.

You take care.

cashman 02-02-2012 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 967181)
What a shame.

Was it only 'fun' for you, when you used this forum to attack the then ruling group, and make personal attacks on the former leader?

Diddums.

:dummy2:

For those unable to take the heat, the kitchen door's always open for them to leave.

Bye.

You take care.

In a nutshell, Ta fer telling us its Daily Mail fairy tale, but i will stick to me original word. "Spineless"

Wynonie Harris 02-02-2012 08:21

Quote:

I've always maintained that I'll answer any question as factually as I can and anything I don't know can be found out for you.

Good. Would you care to mosey on over to the "Internationalist Approach at H.B.C." thread and explain the thinking behind that particular decision? I've already asked your colleague, Councillor Dawson, but he seems strangely silent on the subject.

cashman 02-02-2012 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 967197)
Good. Would you care to mosey on over to the "Internationalist Approach at H.B.C." thread and explain the thinking behind that particular decision? I've already asked your colleague, Councillor Dawson, but he seems strangely silent on the subject.

Silly chap wynonie, Thats probably were its stopped being "Fun" on here?:D Expecting a straight answer.

jaysay 02-02-2012 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 967068)
The two environmental health officers who visited me a few years ago don't sit behind desks all day.

They visit problem sites too.

I supplied them with the car reg no of the woman who visited Heys field with three labradors twice a day, and the usual times she visited - they did follow up that info.

Was a prosecution forthcoming Margaret?

jaysay 02-02-2012 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 967152)

Ya Eric we all know that happens in politics whether its in the good old homeland or Canada, I don't have a problem with that as its all part of the political scene, but one, then opposition Councillor openly stated on here that he would not dodge the issues after the election, he would always come on here and stand his corner, but as we have seen when to going got tough we didn't see Mossy for dust, now whether that's by his own volition or he's been order not to come on here (and believe me they are told what they have to do or suffer the consequences, a prime example being George Slynn) we will probably never know

MargaretR 02-02-2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 967203)
Was a prosecution forthcoming Margaret?

I think she got a warning - they weren't allowed to tell me, but she stopped coming.

Less 02-02-2012 09:47

Well I find it sad that your first appearance and post on AccyWeb in such a long time is the one that you made. After all your promises before you were elected we now find:-

Quote:

a quick Google search brought up an Accyweb thread as one of the options.

Why is that sad? It is sad my dear Mossy because at one time AccyWeb would have been your 'home page', the first place you would have looked.

The rest of the quote too long and too many excuses, rather than apologising for your absence, (pressure of work, settling into new responsibilities, etc, etc), you chose to blame the members that ypu had let down. We stopped being 'fun'.

As Rindy has already stated your 'fun', was attacking the opposition at every chance.
You appeared to be perhaps the 'new broom', that is desperately needed, well, new certainly but it appears that almost all the bristles fell out allowing you only to make this sweeping sentence but not to fulfil your promises of keeping us informed.
AccyWeb could still be fun for you, all you have to do is start posting again, believe it or not, I suspect the reason for the flak is because we have missed you.

So, take a deep political breath, cast to one side your fear of criticism, (it will still happen it happens to all of us), get posting and prove yourself to be above the need to run off and hide from us now that you have, 'control'.

Hope you sort your homepage out see you soon.

jaysay 02-02-2012 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 967208)
Ya Eric we all know that happens in politics whether its in the good old homeland or Canada, I don't have a problem with that as its all part of the political scene, but one, then opposition Councillor openly stated on here that he would not dodge the issues after the election, he would always come on here and stand his corner, but as we have seen when to going got tough we didn't see Mossy for dust, now whether that's by his own volition or he's been order not to come on here (and believe me they are told what they have to do or suffer the consequences, a prime example being George Flynn) we will probably never know

Um it seems that Councillor Moss has broken surface proving one thing that he has been monitoring this site. There was a song released called "what a difference a day makes" we can change the title to to year, because our Ken, around this time last year, building up to the May elections, found this forum fun to be part of, we were treated to a daily dose of Britcliffe bashing which our Ken though was hilarious at the time. One has to say that the treatment he and his colleges received on here was nowhere near a vicious and vindictive as the bile and hatred which poured from Kens keyboard on a daily basis, we didn't even get a rest at weekends, but yet he's decided to take his bat and ball home, sing when your winning you only sing when your winning springs to mind. As has been said prior if you can't stand the heat keep out the kitchen

cashman 02-02-2012 12:16

Right as yeh have decided to pop back Ken, I would like to ask a direct question. I can accept yer answer to this issue BUT. As normally theres no smoke without fire. Have the council been either discussing this issue regarding these night lenses,? or have they been pricing em up? Cos the Mail has obviously got this fairytale from somewhere. Seems to me like there coulda been some mischief-making afoot.

Eric 02-02-2012 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 967234)
Right as yeh have decided to pop back Ken, I would like to ask a direct question. I can accept yer answer to this issue BUT. As normally theres no smoke without fire. Have the council been either discussing this issue regarding these night lenses,? or have they been pricing em up? Cos the Mail has obviously got this fairytale from somewhere. Seems to me like there coulda been some mischief-making afoot.

So it's a hoax ... and it ain't even April:rolleyes: Just took another look at the pic in the "Mail", and it does remind me of something you would have seen on "Laugh In":D Still don't see why Councillor Moss is avoiding AccyWeb ... he seems like a smart enough guy; didn't he realize that when one is elected, one becomes a target (Canadian term, though not one of endearment). And there are a few on here who take a lot of flack on a regular basis ... doesn't stop them from posting.

susie123 02-02-2012 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 967241)
So it's a hoax ... and it ain't even April:rolleyes: Just took another look at the pic in the "Mail", and it does remind me of something you would have seen on "Laugh In":D Still don't see why Councillor Moss is avoiding AccyWeb ... he seems like a smart enough guy; didn't he realize that when one is elected, one becomes a target (Canadian term, though not one of endearment). And there are a few on here who take a lot of flack on a regular basis ... doesn't stop them from posting.

I see the pics in the Mail are copyright Cascade News whose website says:

Cascade News provides regional newspaper publishers with an additional revenue stream.

We sell your news content to national newspapers, magazines, TV, websites, foreign publications and beyond.

So presumably this originated in the Lancs Telegraph story of 29 Jan on the net, but where did they get it from? And is that really the dog warden in those pictures which look very contrived to me.

Gordon Booth 02-02-2012 14:12

I'm puzzled also!
We have, supposedly, photos of Fran Gibbons dog warden lurking in the bushes with his expensive camera, looking like he's saying 'Smile please' and 'I see no ships', we have extensive quotes from him.Is it him? Are those true quotes? Was he authorized to talk to and be photographed by reporters?

We have a long quote from Ken Moss although he doesn't mention night vision goggles.
However we have a quote supposedly from Miles Parkinson,council leader in Hyndburn(Rose of Arden website??) 'It's difficult at those times because the person has to be caught in the act.However with night vision, wardens can see much further along footpaths where the problem occurs and catch offenders.We hope that if people know that night vision is available to our wardens, it will serve as a deterrent. Hyndburns new technology allows them to work at all hours in areas not illuminated by street lighting'.
We even have a quote from he whose name shall not be spoken "It's a great idea".
Is all this false and lies? If so what is HBC going to do about it as at the moment the newspapers and internet are reporting them in a very unflattering way(to put it mildly).

In post 72 susi123 attached a report-Cost for period 11/12 £79,584. Fixed penalty notices issued for 11/12-3. I know other work is involved but the report makes interesting reading.

susie123 02-02-2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 967255)
Is all this false and lies? If so what is HBC going to do about it as at the moment the newspapers and internet are reporting them in a very unflattering way(to put it mildly).

In post 72 susi123 attached a report-Cost for period 11/12 £79,584. Fixed penalty notices issued for 11/12-3. I know other work is involved but the report makes interesting reading.

My thoughts exactly Gordon. HBC do not exactly cover themselves with glory in this story and yet appear to have done little about it.