Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   ASDA hiding ciggies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/asda-hiding-ciggies-60668.html)

Acrylic-bob 18-02-2012 04:08

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian1 (Post 970870)
It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
is this true ?
ian

Of course it is, didn't you know? The great and the good only legislate for the little people, they themselves are above the law. You need to pay more tax.

jaysay 18-02-2012 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 970842)
This from the woman who claims to be sensitive/allergic to more or less everything.

Roll your own cigarettes are not the safer option
Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes. RYO cigarettes are more likely to cause mouth, throat and lung cancer as well as lung diseases such as emphysema and heart disease.

I must now conclude that MargaretR is not the harmless old eccentric I once supposed but an authentic, all-out, full-blown barmpot.

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

jaysay 18-02-2012 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 970879)
Sorry, jay, I don't understand that. :confused:

The NHS has done very well for me Bob over the last 30 years the only think wrong with it is to much red tape and too many pen pushers

christine wood 18-02-2012 10:10

The facts are that no-smoking in pubs and clubs as added to most places demise. When the barmy government brought out these they didn't know the harm it would cause in lost jobs etcetra,and put more people out of work. Now they are doing the same with acohol abuse, it only the affects the working class guy. And they altered the drinking hours (a big mistake). This is what as affected all smaller towns like Accy. That's why the town is quite dead now. Woody

annesingleton 18-02-2012 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian1 (Post 970870)
It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
is this true ?
ian

If you have a look at Parliament.uk it will tell you where smoking is allowed, apparently three bars. I don't know how to post directly to the link.

susie123 18-02-2012 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by christine wood (Post 970916)
The facts are that no-smoking in pubs and clubs as added to most places demise. When the barmy government brought out these they didn't know the harm it would cause in lost jobs etcetra,and put more people out of work. Now they are doing the same with acohol abuse, it only the affects the working class guy. And they altered the drinking hours (a big mistake). This is what as affected all smaller towns like Accy. That's why the town is quite dead now. Woody

Don't really know where to start with your post. Expressing yourself in better English might help.

Were you seriously suggesting that the town's demise is down to changes in the law on alcohol and tobacco? What about loss of jobs in factories and mills? The downward progress has been going on for a lot longer than the concerns about booze and fags. Are you suggesting we should all be smoking and drinking to excess to keep the town on its feet?

And please explain how alcohol abuse only affects the working class guy.

The smoking ban was a very good thing - people who want to indulge in this filthy habit can still do so but those of us who find it abhorrent don't have to suffer the effects on our health or our clothes and environment.

esteemedjuju 18-02-2012 13:18

My friend went to purchase some on Tuesday pm and could'nt because the assistant could'nt find them.

jaysay 18-02-2012 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteemedjuju (Post 970949)
My friend went to purchase some on Tuesday pm and could'nt because the assistant could'nt find them.

Me thinks the assistant isn't cut out for that job;)

Gremlin 18-02-2012 19:39

I ventured into Accrington market this week and as I passed the cigarette shop I noticed they were still in full view.
Is it only ASDA who hides the cigarettes?

walkinman221 18-02-2012 19:42

Yes it does'nt become law until later in the year.

heth 18-02-2012 22:06

The guy selling me my ciggies the other day wasnt impressed. He said that the only thing it does is make the queue twice as long to serve now.

I personally dont think that it will deter anyone from smoking.

katex 18-02-2012 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 971078)
Yes it does'nt become law until later in the year.

I'm sure the lady at Asda told me legislation was coming in in April, and Asda were doing it early so that they got things right for that month, as there are certain rules laid down by the Goverment. :confused: Sorta' practice runs.

Mancie 18-02-2012 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 970904)
The NHS has done very well for me Bob over the last 30 years the only think wrong with it is to much red tape and too many pen pushers

That's a bit crisp coming from someone who has had almost every ailment known to mankind. :).. and then you still have a poke at the NHS.

Michael1954 19-02-2012 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 970939)
Don't really know where to start with your post. Expressing yourself in better English might help.

Were you seriously suggesting that the town's demise is down to changes in the law on alcohol and tobacco? What about loss of jobs in factories and mills? The downward progress has been going on for a lot longer than the concerns about booze and fags. Are you suggesting we should all be smoking and drinking to excess to keep the town on its feet?

And please explain how alcohol abuse only affects the working class guy.

The smoking ban was a very good thing - people who want to indulge in this filthy habit can still do so but those of us who find it abhorrent don't have to suffer the effects on our health or our clothes and environment.

By the way, welcome to Accy Web, Christine.

Gordon Booth 19-02-2012 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 970939)

Come on, susie, don't hold back! What do you really think about about smoking- no need to hold back.
I'm sure christine found your critique of her post helpful- your post was all so tactfully put.