Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   It won't be me.. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/it-wont-be-me-60886.html)

Acrylic-bob 05-03-2012 18:23

Re: It won't be me..

Another thing that really got up my nose was the House of Lords, the week before last, refusing a posthumous pardon for Alan Turing.

For those of you who are not familiar with Turing's story and why a pardon matters so much, read this....

Britain's Greatest Codebreaker: the tragic story of Alan Turing - Telegraph

Acrylic-bob 05-03-2012 18:46

Sorry couldn't resist....

French Dawn - Vicar of Dibley funniest ever wedding - YouTube

Less 05-03-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975397)
Another thing that really got up my nose was the House of Lords, the week before last, refusing a posthumous pardon for Alan Turing.

For those of you who are not familiar with Turing's story and why a pardon matters so much, read this....

Surely he doesn't need a pardon?
The people needing forgiveness are the ones that prosecuted him and chemically castrated him?

Acrylic-bob 05-03-2012 18:59

You are a wiser man than me, Less.

Less 05-03-2012 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975435)
You are a wiser man than me, Less.

No Bob, just looking for the truth, the world lost a gifted man with plenty to offer when he was left broken and biting on that apple he poisoned, at least he found himself some peace.

garinda 05-03-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975397)
Another thing that really got up my nose was the House of Lords, the week before last, refusing a posthumous pardon for Alan Turing. Pompous, bigoted t**ts.

Less is right.

He, like many other good, decent people, did break the law.

Unjust, cruel laws.

He doesn't need a mealy-mouthed, retrospective pardon.

Today society has reclaimed him.

Reclaimed him as a genius, who because of his immense mental capabilities helped this country remain a democracy, and who took his life because he lived in unenlightened times.

Less 05-03-2012 20:21

Manchester recognised him years ago by naming a road after him.

All the way through history genius has been a different animal to we mere mortals,

sexual 'preference'? Orientation? Isn't the same as sexual deviance.

jaysay 06-03-2012 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 975478)
Less is right.

He, like many other good, decent people, did break the law.

Unjust, cruel laws.

He doesn't need a mealy-mouthed, retrospective pardon.

Today society has reclaimed him.

Reclaimed him as a genius, who because of his immense mental capabilities helped this country remain a democracy, and who took his life because he lived in unenlightened times.

Totally agree, you can't undo whats been done in the past, so long as mistakes are learnt from, that's what really matters

Tealeaf 06-03-2012 11:55

I can't wait for the first puffter marriage in the new Accy mosque.

Wrighty 06-03-2012 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 975594)

Has the religion of peace become ... erm peaceful :rolleyes:

garinda 06-03-2012 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 975594)

Some are much too busy slavering over their bacha bazis, to spend anytime worrying over Cameron's plan.

Bacha bazi - YouTube

Still, at least their wives and daughters are left in peace.

Hidden away, veiled from head to toe.

Acrylic-bob 07-03-2012 15:01

Not exactly what you might call 'Great Art' is it?

It seems the more I learn about the religion of peace the more I wish I hadn't bothered.

The truly frightening thing of course is that a lot of these dancing boys actually choose to do this as a way of bettering themselves. I heard one explain on the radio the other week that he hoped one day to be a 'war lord' too, so that he could keep dancing boys of his own.

And to think that the gormless Americans boasted of bombing Afghanistan back to the stone age. *

* ( I'm not allowed to swear anymore so you will have to make up your own expletives and just imagine that I wrote them. )

Less 07-03-2012 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975900)

It seems the more I learn about the religion of peace the more I wish I hadn't bothered.

Be honest Bob, every religion wants to justify itself, whatever could be wrong with slaying a few Dragons now and then?

(Unless of course you happen to be a Dragon?).

garinda 07-03-2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 975966)
Be honest Bob, every religion wants to justify itself, whatever could be wrong with slaying a few Dragons now and then?

(Unless of course you happen to be a Dragon?).

I've been watching the new series on BBC4 about Catholics.

The first programme was about a seminary in Chelsea, in which it was revealed that there were only seventeen new priests ordained in the U.K. last year.

This week's programme was about a primary school in Chipping.

Great kids, nice teachers, jolly priest.

However, I was genuinely shocked at what they were being taught, as part of their state funded education.

Flesh eating, blood drinking, kissing the feet of idols, not listening to fallen angels, as you'd go straight to the fires of eternal Hell.

If it had been about any other religion, and not Christianity, there'd be outrage.

jaysay 08-03-2012 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 975984)
I've been watching the new series on BBC4 about Catholics.

The first programme was about a seminary in Chelsea, in which it was revealed that there were only seventeen new priests ordained in the U.K. last year.

This week's programme was about a primary school in Chipping.

Great kids, nice teachers, jolly priest.

However, I was genuinely shocked at what they were being taught, as part of their state funded education.

Flesh eating, blood drinking, kissing the feet of idols, not listening to fallen angels, as you'd go straight to the fires of eternal Hell.

If it had been about any other religion, and not Christianity, there'd be outrage.

There are those who think Dan Brown is a brilliant fiction writer, I'm not too sure myself, whether its all fiction or not:rolleyes::rolleyes: