Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Crazy labelling (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/crazy-labelling-64132.html)

Guinness 26-04-2013 19:20

Crazy labelling

Bags of peanuts withdrawn from sale because they forgot to tell people that..surprise surprise....they contain...Nuts!

BBC News - Store pulls monkey nuts from shelves over 'peanut warning'

Okay, okay, I realise some people have an unfortunate allergy to nuts..but for gods sake...will anyone with a nut allergy mistakenly buy a bag of nuts without realising they are....erm....nuts?? :eek:

I'm not sure who is at fault here, an overzealous shop manager, a stupid store labelling policy or actual EU legislation.

But what next?

Canteens of cutlery with labels...'warning knives and forks may be used to stab people if used incorrectly'

Candles .... 'warning flame may become hot when lit'

Rolling pins .... 'warning may be used incorrectly by stereotype female in rollers if spouse comes home lashed from the pub

cashman 26-04-2013 19:23

Re: Crazy labelling

Found it ridiculous when heard on news this evening, Society has got that stupid.:rolleyes: Probably these days some knob would sue em i presume, seems yeh can sue fer owt these days.

Gordon Booth 26-04-2013 19:33

Asda milk cartons-in large letters MILK.
In small letters on side- ! Allergy information. Contains Milk.

I'd be unhappy if it didn't!

gpick24 26-04-2013 20:04

The problem is, some people are just crazy stupid.
They think that because something with an ingredient in it`s name doesn`t mean it contains that ingredient. e.g. do chewing nuts contain nuts, no they don`t, do peanuts contain peas, again no. The industry has to be so carefull, and every effort has to be made not to be sued it`s ridiculous.

accyman 26-04-2013 20:08

i once bought some mexican jumping beans

they were made in tiwan and didnt jump at all

gpick24 26-04-2013 20:14

I didn`t mean you cashman. But if if the boot fits..:D

cashman 26-04-2013 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1055739)
I didn`t mean you cashman. But if if the boot fits..:D

Yeh lost me there gpick.:confused:

gpick24 26-04-2013 21:09

Mexican jumping beans, don`t have to be from mexico, don`t have to jump and don`t have to be beans.
It`s late and it`s makes sense to me right now.

cashman 26-04-2013 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1055748)
Mexican jumping beans, don`t have to be from mexico, don`t have to jump and don`t have to be beans.

Don't make much sense to me accyman mentioned those.:confused:

accyman 26-04-2013 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1055748)

but under new rules cornish pasties have to be from cornwall or they cant be called cornish pasties so im assuming this applies to international products too :p:)

im just waiting for the EU to make mars bars change their name because they dont contain Mars :D

gpick24 26-04-2013 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1055750)
but under new rules cornish pasties have to be from cornwall or they cant be called cornish pasties so im assuming this applies to international products too :p:)

im just waiting for the EU to make mars bars change their name because they dont contain Mars :D

No rules on something named nuts actually has to contain nuts,
So some numpty with a nut allergy eats a bag of peanuts and comes with the excuse "well i ate a bag of chewing nuts and I was OK" therefore it`s there fault for not warning me that peanuts contains nut....sue.sue.sue...., well whos fault is it?
You can`t blame them for being over careful.
Recall product - cost of being sued?

gpick24 26-04-2013 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1055743)
Yeh lost me there gpick.:confused:

I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.:o

Eric 26-04-2013 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1055754)
I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.:o

They're both mixed up;):D

Eric 26-04-2013 21:49

Bought some cat treats the other day for my evil monsters. On the label was written: "New and Improved. Even More of the Chicken Flavor Your Cats Love." Don't know if the cats love 'em or not; they sure eat enough.

But how do they know what the flavor is like:confused: Do they ask a cat? Or is there some poor sod out there who is so desperate for work that he is willing to be a cat treat taster?

Guinness 26-04-2013 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1055753)
No rules on something named nuts actually has to contain nuts,
So some numpty with a nut allergy eats a bag of peanuts and comes with the excuse "well i ate a bag of chewing nuts and I was OK" therefore it`s there fault for not warning me that peanuts contains nut....sue.sue.sue...., well whos fault is it?
You can`t blame them for being over careful.
Recall product - cost of being sued?

Nope sorry..thats Euro logic...

Peanut is the name of a type of nut, like pecan, almond or brazil and do not need a label. Chewing nuts are a confectionery, which may or may not contain nuts and therefore should be labelled if they do.

If you see a box labelled brazil nuts you would reasonably expect it to contain nuts, if you see a box labelled brazil football shirts you would not.

Any lawyer worth his salt could argue that one....the worlds gone mad