Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2013, 19:20   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Crazy labelling

Bags of peanuts withdrawn from sale because they forgot to tell people that..surprise surprise....they contain...Nuts!

BBC News - Store pulls monkey nuts from shelves over 'peanut warning'

Okay, okay, I realise some people have an unfortunate allergy to nuts..but for gods sake...will anyone with a nut allergy mistakenly buy a bag of nuts without realising they are....erm....nuts??

I'm not sure who is at fault here, an overzealous shop manager, a stupid store labelling policy or actual EU legislation.

But what next?

Canteens of cutlery with labels...'warning knives and forks may be used to stab people if used incorrectly'

Candles .... 'warning flame may become hot when lit'

Rolling pins .... 'warning may be used incorrectly by stereotype female in rollers if spouse comes home lashed from the pub
Old 26-04-2013, 19:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Crazy labelling

Found it ridiculous when heard on news this evening, Society has got that stupid. Probably these days some knob would sue em i presume, seems yeh can sue fer owt these days.
Old 26-04-2013, 19:33   #3
Senior Member+

Asda milk cartons-in large letters MILK.
In small letters on side- ! Allergy information. Contains Milk.

I'd be unhappy if it didn't!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:04   #4
Senior Member+

The problem is, some people are just crazy stupid.
They think that because something with an ingredient in it`s name doesn`t mean it contains that ingredient. e.g. do chewing nuts contain nuts, no they don`t, do peanuts contain peas, again no. The industry has to be so carefull, and every effort has to be made not to be sued it`s ridiculous.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:08   #5
God Member

i once bought some mexican jumping beans

they were made in tiwan and didnt jump at all
Alan Varrechia likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:14   #6
Senior Member+

I didn`t mean you cashman. But if if the boot fits..
Old 26-04-2013, 20:53   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I didn`t mean you cashman. But if if the boot fits..
Yeh lost me there gpick.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:09   #8
Senior Member+

Mexican jumping beans, don`t have to be from mexico, don`t have to jump and don`t have to be beans.
It`s late and it`s makes sense to me right now.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:17   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Mexican jumping beans, don`t have to be from mexico, don`t have to jump and don`t have to be beans.
Don't make much sense to me accyman mentioned those.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:19   #10
God Member

Quote:
but under new rules cornish pasties have to be from cornwall or they cant be called cornish pasties so im assuming this applies to international products too

im just waiting for the EU to make mars bars change their name because they dont contain Mars

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 21:29   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
but under new rules cornish pasties have to be from cornwall or they cant be called cornish pasties so im assuming this applies to international products too

im just waiting for the EU to make mars bars change their name because they dont contain Mars
No rules on something named nuts actually has to contain nuts,
So some numpty with a nut allergy eats a bag of peanuts and comes with the excuse "well i ate a bag of chewing nuts and I was OK" therefore it`s there fault for not warning me that peanuts contains nut....sue.sue.sue...., well whos fault is it?
You can`t blame them for being over careful.
Recall product - cost of being sued?
Old 26-04-2013, 21:32   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh lost me there gpick.
I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:42   #13
God Member

Quote:
I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.
They're both mixed up
DaveinGermany likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 21:49   #14
God Member

Bought some cat treats the other day for my evil monsters. On the label was written: "New and Improved. Even More of the Chicken Flavor Your Cats Love." Don't know if the cats love 'em or not; they sure eat enough.

But how do they know what the flavor is like Do they ask a cat? Or is there some poor sod out there who is so desperate for work that he is willing to be a cat treat taster?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 21:49   #15

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
No rules on something named nuts actually has to contain nuts,
So some numpty with a nut allergy eats a bag of peanuts and comes with the excuse "well i ate a bag of chewing nuts and I was OK" therefore it`s there fault for not warning me that peanuts contains nut....sue.sue.sue...., well whos fault is it?
You can`t blame them for being over careful.
Recall product - cost of being sued?
Nope sorry..thats Euro logic...

Peanut is the name of a type of nut, like pecan, almond or brazil and do not need a label. Chewing nuts are a confectionery, which may or may not contain nuts and therefore should be labelled if they do.

If you see a box labelled brazil nuts you would reasonably expect it to contain nuts, if you see a box labelled brazil football shirts you would not.

Any lawyer worth his salt could argue that one....the worlds gone mad

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..