Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2013, 21:50   #16

Re: Crazy labelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
They think that because something with an ingredient in it`s name doesn`t mean it contains that ingredient. e.g. do chewing nuts contain nuts, no they don`t, do peanuts contain peas, again no. The industry has to be so carefull, and every effort has to be made not to be sued it`s ridiculous.
Monkey nuts don't contain monkeys (or, indeed, just their testicles).

But nowhere on the packaging did it say that monkey nuts contain peanuts. There are people out there who do not know what is in the food they eat. My stepdaughter's room-mate (mid 20s graduate) was horrified to go out with the group and find only pork on the fixed menu. She managed to cobble together a veggie alternative to tide her through 'til they got home, and then she could make herself a ham sandwich. Cue lots of puzzled faces and a diplomatic re-education. Then someone tentatively mentioned that she also couldn't really have her favourite, bacon. She actually wailed.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2013, 22:03   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Nope sorry..thats Euro logic...

Peanut is the name of a type of nut, like pecan, almond or brazil and do not need a label. Chewing nuts are a confectionery, which may or may not contain nuts and therefore should be labelled if they do.

If you see a box labelled brazil nuts you would reasonably expect it to contain nuts, if you see a box labelled brazil football shirts you would not.

Any lawyer worth his salt could argue that one....the worlds gone mad
The point i`m trying to make are:
a. some people are stupid and need everything explained to them and if it isn`t, they`ll sue you for everything you have.
b. brazil nuts aren`t nuts they are seeds which just adds to the confusiion.
c. lawyers will fight on either side, i.e. the one that will make them ££.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 22:18   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
My stepdaughter's room-mate (mid 20s graduate)

She managed to cobble together a veggie alternative to tide her through 'til they got home, and then she could make herself a ham sandwich.
Modern education, such a marvellous thing to behold don't you think?

And that ladies & gentlemen, is why virtually everything has to have an idiots warning/advisory note on the packaging.
Old 26-04-2013, 22:27   #19
Senior Member+

Like i`ve said, some people are idiots, you have to take that into account in your labelling or they`ll screw you for everything you have
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 23:06   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

But how do they know what the flavor is like Do they ask a cat? Or is there some poor sod out there who is so desperate for work that he is willing to be a cat treat taster?
there actually are human tasters for cat food and dog food

to me the only thing from that little experiment to come to light is that it dosnt kill humans.I dont see how they can say a cat likes a certain flavour more than another brand because a human says it tatses nicer

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 23:08   #21
God Member

as for stupid lawsuits my favourite of all time was an american who sued a motorhome company because he engaged cruise control on his motor home then went into the back to make a brew.

he won hence why in user manuals for cars they sometimes say the vehicle still needs you at teh wheel or the car dosnt drive its self

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-04-2013, 23:57   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Like i`ve said, some people are idiots, you have to take that into account in your labelling
You're Oh so right, even though both Cashman and Accyman are clearly labelled someone will come on site that is so dumb they just can't tell them apart!

Quote:
I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 00:01   #23

As it happens peanuts are not actually nuts, they are part of the legume family.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 00:40   #24
God Member

heinz claim to have 57 varieties of bean in their baked beans

they have yet to answer my email asking if humanbean is one of them

Old 27-04-2013, 01:09   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Who decides what allergies get a warning? Lots of people are allergic to all sorts of things, is milk really that poisonous to people with a milk allergy? I know nuts can kill some people.
Old 27-04-2013, 01:28   #26
God Member

i suppose its like how they decide if a road gets a speedbump or camera

if a cetrain amount of people get killed they put measures in place

Old 27-04-2013, 08:11   #27
Full Member+

People sue at the drop of a hat these days because it's made so easy (no win no fee lawyers etc.) greed and money for nothing seem to drive a lot of folk. Common sense doesn't come in to it anymore. If people had to pay to engage the services of a lawyer I think a large percentage of these claims wouldn't see the light of day. And manufacturers wouldn't feel the need to specify every little detail on their labels.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:12   #28

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

*sigh* I give up.

So far we have graduates who don't know bacon is from a pig, peanuts that are legumes but don't contain any peas, nuts that aren't really nuts but seeds, nuts that don't contain simians and lawyers who are getting ready to argue with some chick called Sue about labels.

This whole thread is driving me nuts..........oh wait!
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:22   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think i may have got Accyman and Cashman mixed up.
That's not easily done Mr. G.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 08:23   #30
Resting in Peace

I once bought a claw hammer from Home base on the label was an arrow pointing to the head under it said use this end up
dah ok
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..