Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Heatwave (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/heatwave-64508.html)

gpick24 09-07-2013 09:57

Re: Heatwave

You can now get glass with a solar reflective film, helps stop you home from being like a greenhouse. We will be getting it when we upgrade our windows. You can also get the film to add to existing windows.
Solar Control Films from The Window Film Company

jaysay 09-07-2013 10:03

Just about got through yesterday, must have drunk 4 litres of Adams ale to keep me cool

MargaretR 09-07-2013 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1066018)
You can now get glass with a solar reflective film, helps stop you home from being like a greenhouse. We will be getting it when we upgrade our windows. You can also get the film to add to existing windows.
Solar Control Films from The Window Film Company

I installed that (mirror type) on some windows at Melbourne House, where staff privacy was requested.

cashman 09-07-2013 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1065982)
Green Deal scheme: Residents living in homes insulated under Government initiative could die from OVERHEATING | Mail Online
- "The elderly and infirm as well as people living on the top floor"

I told you so first ;)

Dying from overheating is a much cheaper option to the tories, much cheaper n paying yer pensions.:rolleyes:

gpick24 09-07-2013 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1066033)
I installed that (mirror type) on some windows at Melbourne House, where staff privacy was requested.

How well did it work at keeping out the heat Margaret?

MargaretR 09-07-2013 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1066037)
How well did it work at keeping out the heat Margaret?

It was requested for privacy - there was no way I could begin to estimate its effect on solar gain (open plan area - not applied to all windows )

Restless 09-07-2013 15:21

Re: Re: Heatwave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1065942)
Nope, it was me that wanted the outside tap and the cables through the wall for the satellite dishes

You can keep telling or self that :D denial in these circumstances is fine :p

maxthecollie 09-07-2013 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1066019)
Just about got through yesterday, must have drunk 4 litres of Adams ale to keep me cool

wHAT'S WRONG WITH THE REAL STUFF?

westendlass 09-07-2013 20:25

I just love the British obsession with the weather. Too hot, too cold, always raining. Part of our identity /idiosincracy. Long live with the British eccentricity.

gpick24 09-07-2013 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1066122)
I just love the British obsession with the weather. Too hot, too cold, always raining. Part of our identity /idiosincracy. Long live with the British eccentricity.

It`s not that long ago, there was a thread on here complaining about the cold.

jaysay 10-07-2013 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1066086)
wHAT'S WRONG WITH THE REAL STUFF?

With the increase in meds I'm taking at the moment, the real stuff would be a tad silly:rolleyes:

jaysay 10-07-2013 17:40

Its been about right today, but its going to heat up again for the rest of the week and weekend, only hope I can stand it for this extended spell

susie123 10-07-2013 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1066189)
Its been about right today, but its going to heat up again for the rest of the week and weekend, only hope I can stand it for this extended spell

John, I really feel for you, normally I hate the heat but at the moment I am enjoying it. Perhaps because I am just bouncing back from the infection that put me in hospital recently, perhaps because I have very little to do apart from shout at Richard when his cooking goes wrong, perhaps because my room is nice and cool and doesn't catch the sun. Whatever, I'm embracing it and hoping to have some nice days out for the first time in probably about a year, having stayed at home mostly when I was having chemotherapy to avoid catching anything when my immune system was compromised. The infection I did have would have happened anyway whether I was out and about or not so I am just trying to carry on as normal now.

I hope you can bear it over the next few days.

MargaretR 10-07-2013 18:24

Yesterday, even using aircon, I didn't get the temp below 25C.
Today I have managed to reduce it to 24C.

DtheP47 15-07-2013 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1066204)
Yesterday, even using aircon, I didn't get the temp below 25C.
Today I have managed to reduce it to 24C.

Saw this giszmo in the Sunday Observer Margaret.
May just help?

Neostar 5-in-1 Air Cooler, Purifier, Fan, Heater and Humidifier