Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Religious Imposition. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/religious-imposition-66046.html)

davebtelford 20-04-2014 18:26

Religious Imposition.

I went to the supermarket today (which I sometimes do on Sunday afternoon) but it was closed due to trading laws imposed through (Christian) religious tradition. No big deal I suppose (and I picked up the few things I wanted from our local Spar shop)

I was brought up essentially without religion and I have seen no need to seek it out in adulthood. As we are now a multi-cultural, multi-religion (and none) society is it right that we should all be bound by such sectarian laws or should business and commerce be separated from religious beliefs? And are Spar employees/customers in some way less obligated (morally) to be bound by Christian tradition than those of larger shops? The logic behind this is very puzzling!

cashman 20-04-2014 18:54

Re: Religious Imposition.

Agree its beyond us, we have been saying how stupid we think it is, small shops can open,larger uns can't, this is sod all to do wi religion as far as we are concerned.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 19:05

We can shop for 363 days of the year.......shops close on Christmas Day and Easter Day.
Two days a year when the shops close. You may not have a religion, but others who work in the shops may have a religious belief.
I am sure that most of the large stores have had their opening times over the Easter break well publicised. Surely it is not beyond your ability to make sure that any shopping you needed was done before they took a day off.

Don't you think that those who work in the supermarkets want to spend a little time with their families?

Anyway, it seems that you got yourself sorted by patronising a Spar shop(which is very likely to be run by someone who is not Christian).
Live and let live.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 19:08

I will sit back now and wait for the incoming red stuff.

Wynonie Harris 20-04-2014 19:12

Shops under 3000 sq ft can open today, just as they can after 4pm on a normal Sunday (unlike larger supermarkets which have to close today and can only open for restricted hours on a normal Sunday). The reason for this is to give the little independent shops a fighting chance against the big supermarket chains who are taking so much of their business.

westendlass 20-04-2014 19:14

The Spar near us is open 364 days a year. It serves the local community, who, in general, seem to be neither here nor there when it comes to religion in general. I don't see the point in closing at specific times these days. It suits the owners and it suits us, the customers. All good, all round.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 19:26

The last time I looked this was still a Christian country.....now so many people want to deny Christianity. Get rid of it and what may take its place.......and then what impositions may be put into place.
It is perfectly possible to shop for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The internet makes this possible. During my working life I was required to work many of the times when families get together......so I know what it is like to be working when everyone else is having a fine time with their families.

cashman 20-04-2014 19:56

The issue to me is simple, i aint bothered one way or the other, they should all be closed, or all be open if they choose, if thats hard fer some to grasp. it dont surprise me.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 20:16

Well Cashy, at one time they were.......and this was when shops all closed on Sundays......and here in Clayton they also closed Saturday afternoon......and do you know what? We got through. No-one starved..... I think that in general the world(or at least my bit of it) was a better place.

There is only so much money to go around......the shops opening longer doesn't necessarily mean that they make more money.....especially the smaller ones, because they have to pay someone to man the place whether it is busy or not.
Shop workers deserve a break as much as anyone else.

Less 20-04-2014 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1103207)
Well Cashy, at one time they were.......and this was when shops all closed on Sundays......

Even worse things used to happen, thanks to religion the pubs used to shut on Sundays except for genuine travelers.

Thank God those days are no longer with us.
http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galle...7172742080.jpg

maxthecollie 20-04-2014 20:24

What has happened to 1/2 day closing. The shops don't seem to bother with that now.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1103209)
Even worse things used to happen, thanks to religion the pubs used to shut on Sundays except for genuine travelers.

Thank God those days are no longer with us.
http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galle...7172742080.jpg

They also used to have restricted hours....Close during each afternoon......opening again at tea time until 10:30 pm.....people still managed to get bladdered......and the landlord got to spend some time for himself.

And if you went to Wales the pubs were closed all day on a Sunday.....totally dry(well, unless you were welsh......then you were let in by the back door).
I remember going to Wales with my gran in the late sixties.....she liked a drop of beer. She was totally disgusted that she couldn't get a beer because the pubs were shut ......especially as she had walked something like three miles from the cottage to the village. She was as dry as an old maids kiss when she got back.

cashman 20-04-2014 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1103207)
Well Cashy, at one time they were.......and this was when shops all closed on Sundays......and here in Clayton they also closed Saturday afternoon......and do you know what? We got through. No-one starved..... I think that in general the world(or at least my bit of it) was a better place.

There is only so much money to go around......the shops opening longer doesn't necessarily mean that they make more money.....especially the smaller ones, because they have to pay someone to man the place whether it is busy or not.
Shop workers deserve a break as much as anyone else.

Aint arguing wi that, just saying simply it should be one way or the other.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2014 21:15

Well,it wouldn't suit the muslim shopkeepers to have to follow a Christian festival Cashy.
Live and let live is what I am saying.

dotti34 20-04-2014 22:36

It always amuses/amazes me when it's a long weekend at the number of people who buy extra big the day before the shops are closed - like they're never going to open again. These people seem to cover every possible emergency that MIGHT happen.

I totally agree with Margaret, why do you need every day to shop. I dislike shopping ANY day, my other half does most of it.

Also remember that if it wasn't for the religious bit there wouldn't be a holiday anyway - you can't have your cake and eat it too, well you can if you include an extra one on your shopping list - just in case....