Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Blackburn road - in front of town hall. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/blackburn-road-in-front-of-town-hall-68478.html)

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 09:11

Re: Blackburn road - in front of town hall.

If the money for this project were coming out of the personal funds of our council officials I think perhaps it would be considered far more carefully.
It is very easy to spend money which does not belong to you...on projects that mean nothing, will do nothing.
There is not a cohesive strategy to do anything effective for the town.
No one is going to come to Accrington to see a town square...and for those who think they will...well, they are delusional (and that is the kindest thing I can think of to say about them).

Accyexplorer 14-02-2017 13:41

1 Attachment(s)
Bye bye conker trees :mad:

Attachment 55094

cashman 14-02-2017 14:11

I saw that at dinner time very apt.bet the goons get sent to remove!!

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 14:23

I think the tenuous link to the Pals regiment is both dishonest and opportunistic and was attached to this project as a means of deflecting dissent(council members knew that there would BE dissent to the project)....of course anything linked to the pals Regiment is alright...except it isn't.
Putting tramstyle seating...how is that a link to the regiment?
if the paving stones were engraved with the names of the fallen, then that might be a link, but as far as I am aware it is only a statue of a stray mongrel dog which is the link to the Pals.
It is suggested that this was not the dog belonging to the regiment, but a mutt who had wandered into town and joined the parade.
What a bloomin' waste of money!

odders 14-02-2017 14:34

Using the Pals and Stanley is just discrediting everything they are about and others r stupid council wants to pull heartstrings in justifying their chance to spend money

cashman 14-02-2017 14:53

That to me demonstrates perfectly how useless HBC has become.:( my guess,only certain people wont see it for what it is,

Less 14-02-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by odders (Post 1187427)
Using the Pals and Stanley is just discrediting everything they are about and others r stupid council wants to pull heartstrings in justifying their chance to spend money

Heartstrings? I can't see any heartstrings being pulled over this dumb mutt, I could perhaps have mine plucked just a touch if say, they had wanted to put up a statue to the youngest of the men that fell, or, perhaps the oldest of the men that fell, or perhaps any of the men that fell gallantly for OUR future, but a monument to a dog?

Come on, where is the sense in that?

I bet this magnificent statue won't even be commissioned from a local artist, it will be forced upon us from some trendy nobody that has a copy of his Jack Russel* going spare.

* It doesn't have to be a Jack Russel, it could be any breed of undeserving mongrel.
:mad:

Neil 14-02-2017 18:26

1 Attachment(s)
How about this one?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...1&d=1487100391

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 18:41

Yes Neil, that'll do.

Less 14-02-2017 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187459)
Yes Neil, that'll do.

Unfortunately, they have already proved that their imagination isn't capable of something humorous.

If it wasn't for the fact that some poor unfortunates make their living within the Market Hall, I would suggest that we do what the rest of the nation does, ignore the area until the Council come to their senses and save the £1.5 million we are being forced to stump up.

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 19:45

Now Less, we have to get it right. We are not stumping up 1.5 million quid. We are contributing half a million to the town square and 700,000 for regeneration of Blackburn RD and refurbishment of the shop fronts.
None of this would be contemplated if it were not for the hare brained project by the THI.
What has stopped the council doing this work before now if they really think it will increase inward investment(it won't...and they know it won't.)?
If it was not for this project none of the money that is proposed to be spent would be earmarked for refurbishment.

The council have no real ideas to rejuvenate the town centre...they have been bereft of ideas for so long now that I fear it is too late to do anything that will have much value.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels that our council lost its way a long time ago.

ferret man 14-02-2017 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1187454)

Could we not have a statue like the three wise monkeys but switching the monkeys for councillors and the word evil for SENSE.

Neil 14-02-2017 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187491)
What has stopped the council doing this work before now if they really think it will increase inward investment(it won't...and they know it won't.)?
If it was not for this project none of the money that is proposed to be spent would be earmarked for refurbishment......

Probably because they can more than double the councils money by using it as match funding for the HLF funding. WIthout the HLF money HBC would have to find all the money

cashman 14-02-2017 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1187521)
Probably because they can more than double the councils money by using it as match funding for the HLF funding. WIthout the HLF money HBC would have to find all the money

so instead of telling the truth they bullshine as usual

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 20:51

if the council had to find all the money, then the project would not go ahead.
We could save 1.2 million quid and we would still have two Horse Chestnut trees in front of the Market Hall.
The people who are supposed to be looking out for the interests of the town are doing an abysmal job.