Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Blackburn road - in front of town hall. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/blackburn-road-in-front-of-town-hall-68478.html)

RainbowSix 31-08-2016 12:10

Blackburn road - in front of town hall.

The road in front of the town hall is a no entry from the market end and a no entry to vehicles unless loading by lorry from the viaduct end.

Today someone nearly ran me over :mad: while trying to drive down it as I was passing, being near the entrance we had a little "discussion" about him not coming down, some pointing at the sign and how I was not moving until he reversed 6' and went the correct way along the road.

Seeing as I had 5 minutes to spare I was happy to wait.

:stop: :stop:

There is never a PC (or plastic PC) or traffic warden when you actually need one :)

Neil 31-08-2016 14:40

Re: Blackburn road - in front of town hall.

Good man, the Police need to start policing the roads around here

accyman 31-08-2016 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1176016)

havnt bothered the past decade so why start now

Barrie Yates 31-08-2016 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1176016)

It is a frequent occurence - why not install a camera and fine all who ignore the No Entry signs? The installation would soon pay for itself.

KiTChener 01-09-2016 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1176044)
It is a frequent occurence - why not install a camera and fine all who ignore the No Entry signs? The installation would soon pay for itself.

I'm not normally in favour of cameras installed specifically to result in fining that 'cash cow' the motorist, but I'd be definitely in agreement with you on this one, Barrie.

Neil 01-09-2016 09:32

I think cameras would be a good idea for catching and fining people driving through no entry signs etc. They need to install more Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras as well. Here is a link about them https://www.police.uk/information-an...e-recognition/

cashman 01-09-2016 09:35

Well if the police are owt like the council, they will tell the public to put cameras up, like they did with us.:rolleyes:

RainbowSix 01-09-2016 12:13

I know its 2 faced of me, sine my comments on another thread - as none of the drivers will read or take notice of this :)

However it really gets on my tist when I'm walking down to the shops in my short lunch break and some sod nearly runs me over when they should not be there.

Taxi's are the worst - they seem to think that its OK for them to ignore the rules.

I can forsee a few more standoffs as we meet, I need some Mexicans to build a wall :)

KiTChener 01-09-2016 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1176074)
Well if the police are owt like the council, they will tell the public to put cameras up, like they did with us.:rolleyes:

I'll share you at the cost, Cashy,
As long as we can have the resulting revenue!!

lancsdave 01-09-2016 14:54

I wouldn't expect any of the authorities to do anything. They make the rules but don't think about how they are going to enforce them, or even care about it.

Less 01-09-2016 15:19

Always been a problem since it was pedestrianised, helped kill off trade, split the town in half, caused rediculous one way system, should never have happened.
But what do I know, I'm part of the 95%.

Morecambe Ex Pat 03-09-2016 07:12

I too am part of the 95% so I have accept that the building of Eastgate was a smart move. The old Abbey Street route had 2 sets of traffic lights and average traffic speeds were very slow. Traffic flow speeds were greatly increased by introducing 2 extra sets of traffic lights and a slight increase to the length of the route.

I think what they should do, to increase the number of cars still further, is to hide the bus station away, behind some buildings away from the town centre - oh wait, it appears they have already thought of that one.

accyman 05-09-2016 02:43

if you dont wan a specific law enforcing just dump resposabilty of enforcing it on tothe council like they did with parking laws

even if the council was to actually enforce the laws fairly and equally they would only be enforced between office hours 9 to 5

lets hope murder and terrorism arnt handed off to councils

RainbowSix 06-09-2016 11:57

And another whizzes past, then another and another...

Just been chatting to a chap sat in front of the town hall, 6 have passed him in the past 20 min.

One tried it while I was crossing again, and again he had to reverse.

This is getting fun :)

Margaret Pilkington 06-09-2016 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176409)

You have a distorted sense of what is defined as 'fun'

Margaret Pilkington 06-09-2016 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1176221)
I too am part of the 95% so I have accept that the building of Eastgate was a smart move. The old Abbey Street route had 2 sets of traffic lights and average traffic speeds were very slow. Traffic flow speeds were greatly increased by introducing 2 extra sets of traffic lights and a slight increase to the length of the route.

I think what they should do, to increase the number of cars still further, is to hide the bus station away, behind some buildings away from the town centre - oh wait, it appears they have already thought of that one.

And they should formulate a one way system that makes no sense.....does not improve a drivers desire to come into the town unless they positively cannot avoid it.
Oh, Yes...they have done that too.
It is time to start organising a funeral wreath for Accrington Market Hall and town centre...the bus station is taking folk out of town to places where trade is valued and welcomed.
Nice Job town planners....maybe you should all go back to your Lego sets

Neil 06-09-2016 15:15

Quote:

Just been chatting to a chap sat in front of the town hall, 6 have passed him in the past 20 min.

I hope they put the CCTV of someone running you over for being an awkward so and so

Less 06-09-2016 16:53

Quote:

If you are taking up a career of replacing traffic calming/restricting, may I just point out a few disadvantages, the job pays badly and there is no pension, most people will take a quick glance and walk away muttering something under their breath such as, what a Richard and when you eventually get the timing wrong you will find that even at slow speed cars hurt.
Put away this obsession of being a super hero, there will only be one loser, unfortunately it will be YOU![emoji15]

RainbowSix 07-09-2016 12:30

Well, I nearly caught a bus today but he slowed down :)

Although I don't know where he thought he was going, the markets closed down on Wednesdays :(

Less 07-09-2016 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176442)
Well, I nearly caught a bus today but he slowed down :)

Although I don't know where he thought he was going, the markets closed down on Wednesdays :(

Aren't buses allowed?

You really should find somewhere else to spend your time, ever considered going over Niagra in a barrel?

RainbowSix 08-09-2016 12:04

No, buses are not allowed.
No vehicles unless "loading by lorry between certain hours".

Bus, taxi, people carrier, motorbike etc. all disallowed.

I don't spend my time hanging around there, I just pass it twice a day, walking ont he pedestrian area and in those brief seconds cars go through. :)

Less 10-09-2016 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176467)
No, buses are not allowed.
No vehicles unless "loading by lorry between certain hours".

Bus, taxi, people carrier, motorbike etc. all disallowed.

I don't spend my time hanging around there, I just pass it twice a day, walking ont he pedestrian area and in those brief seconds cars go through. :)

I spend more time walking to and from almost every day and although I dislike the so called pedestrian area I wouldn't spend my time trying to stop idiots that shouldn't use the area by jumping in front of them, that would make me an...

...Idiot.
[emoji1]

yerself 11-09-2016 15:49

Something mysterious is happening. I made a post on here yesterday and it's disappeared, perhaps it was run over by a bus outside the market hall.

Neil 12-09-2016 13:50

It was removed because the picture was too big and causes problems

yerself 12-09-2016 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
It was removed because the picture was too big and causes problems

Nice of you to let me know at the time. I was under the impression that moderators would inform members of the reason when such actions were taken.

yerself 12-09-2016 16:15

It didn't make any difference to this bloke:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ianasquare.jpg

Does that meet with approval?:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Mick 13-09-2016 05:55

Sorry my fault I removed the photo for being to large for the site
And was doing it on my IPad and forgot to pm you put it down to old age
Sorry again

Yes that's much better thanks

RainbowSix 13-09-2016 11:18

Looking at the signs, buses are allowed to travel from the old market end - but not in the other direction.

A little crazy :)

Not seen any tanks yet.

Less 13-09-2016 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176825)
Looking at the signs, buses are allowed to travel from the old market end - but not in the other direction.

Not seen any tanks yet.

Does the sign ask for volunteers with the attitude of lemmings to jump into the way of illegally moving traffic?

Neil 13-09-2016 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1176768)
Nice of you to let me know at the time. I was under the impression that moderators would inform members of the reason when such actions were taken.

I usually download, resize and edit the post with the smaller picture if I see them too big.

Less 13-09-2016 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1176842)
I usually download, resize and edit the post with the smaller picture if I see them too big.

I think the problem is if it comes from a mobile, mine is set for max memory I might want the pic again for some reason, upload to the site it automatically looks OK. Look at it on pc and yes, there is a problem, it's not remembering to downsize that cocks things up.

Neil 15-09-2016 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1176845)
I think the problem is if it comes from a mobile, mine is set for max memory I might want the pic again for some reason, upload to the site it automatically looks OK. Look at it on pc and yes, there is a problem, it's not remembering to downsize that cocks things up.

I think it's a bug/setting with the forum, it should resize images to a max preset value. It used to do with some images in the past

RainbowSix 15-09-2016 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176825)

Not seen any tanks yet.

And today the signs on the market end have changed again to a simple no entry, no buses, no taxies and no (Wizzzz..... as one just went past) motorbikes. :stop:

I may be in luck and see a tank though as it's their 10th birthday :)

RainbowSix 05-01-2017 12:16

Apparently, according to a discussion with taxi driver - it does not apply to them :(
Neither does it apply to police officers either, I have seen them drive along there twice.

Why do the planners bother with highway regulations when the drivers of Accy are going to ignore them?

Gremlin 05-01-2017 14:50

Maybe it doesn't apply to taxi drivers but I'm sure it does.
Are there any 'Taxis' in Hyndburn. I thought they were private hire Kami Kamikaze pilots.
Gadzooks man, If I was in control I would stop every private hire vehicle using taxi lanes. Then crush the car, driver allowed to sit in.

gpick24 05-01-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1184482)
Apparently, according to a discussion with taxi driver - it does not apply to them :(

Pick any part of the Highway Code and they'll say it doesn't apply to them.

cashman 05-01-2017 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1184492)
Pick any part of the Highway Code and they'll say it doesn't apply to them.

its simple the police are too scared to say owt.FACT:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 05-01-2017 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1184496)

Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Gremlin 05-01-2017 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1184496)

Truer than you may think Cashy. I've heard that from a civilian inside source.
Blackburn road is especially a 'Look away area'.

Accyexplorer 05-01-2017 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1184503)
Truer than you may think Cashy. I've heard that from a civilian inside source.
Blackburn road is especially a 'Look away area'.

Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?

Gremlin 05-01-2017 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1184504)
Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting the Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?

I'm quoting an inside source, I'm not suggesting anything.
I know what I think though by being second inline behind a police car while the bus was stuck trying to get past parked cars near Little street.

cashman 05-01-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1184504)
Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?

I have said before my mate who has a policeman for a mate was told by him what happened when he booked a number of cars illegally parked on Blackburn Rd, So hmm all yeh want fool.:rolleyes:

Guinness 02-02-2017 22:30

Erm…

Controversial plans to redevelop Accrington town square given go-ahead (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Notwithstanding the fact that I’ve seen comments on facebook, twitter, this and previous newspaper reports none of which have been positive…

Where the heck do our elected representatives come up with the term ‘brilliant’ in reference to this plan?

Then we have ‘oldsleepyhead’ Dawsons comments..

‘I welcome the idea that we could have this square’……eh?

I’ve been struggling all night to try to figure that particular whimsy out…isn’t he the head of the planning committee who has just passed the ‘idea that could’ into the ‘expensive white elephant that is’

Or..
‘I know the trees are an issue for some people but I believe they have been there for more than 50 years’….eh?

I’ve also been struggling with this mumbo jumbo politspeak…he believes the trees have been there for 50 years and its an issue for some people….but he’s pretty much ignored this because as head of the planning committee he’s done it anyway… or… is he saying that anything over 50 needs culling?

And..
‘I think the plans will be a big improvement for Blackburn Road and it will really improve that area’..eh?

Why will it improve the area?…you are chopping down some big trees and replacing them with some small trees, you’re putting back the benches you misguidedly removed a few years ago, you’re replacing the current level flooring with more modern flooring (erm..didn’t you do this on broadway with the resulting lakes and trip hazards)

But hey.. use an emotive term like ‘Accy Pals’ stick a mythological animal statue in there

Yeah…absolutely BRILLIANT idea

Neil 03-02-2017 05:43

If you read the project details the section on trees has detailed reports explaining what the problems are with them and recommends they come down

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2017 05:57

Leaving aside the thorny issue of the trees(I haven't seen the report, but would not trust it if I had). I reckon those who were asked to provide the report were in cahoots with those who want this daft project to go ahead and providing a report that confirms that the trees need to be chopped would give validity to them being chopped down...at a cost of course

This development seems to be wanted by no one. Will cost 3 million quid...half of which is coming from the public purse(at a time when services are being pruned to death).
The square is going to do nothing for the town. The council are not planning any events once it is a reality. They want any organised events to be community driven.
So we are paying a lot of money for a dead space. What is, in effect a 'vanity project'
Accrington has very little to be vain about.

Have any community organisations asked for space for events? Will this proposed development bring people into the town? Will it improve the environment in the town?

My considered opinion is. It won't.
It is not what is needed. It is not what is wanted and it is too damned expensive.

Neil 03-02-2017 08:56

It was a detailed report explaining the issues with the trees and what could be done to solve some of the problems with them

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2017 20:47

Well Neil, they would say that wouldn't they? And of course it would have to be a detailed report(they don't want some clever clogs to go picking holes in their rationale do they?)...I am sure it cost the council to have the 'independent' report drawn up to support their case.
However, I still do not trust it...but that is just the cynical kind of baggage that I am.

Guinness 03-02-2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1186751)
If you read the project details the section on trees has detailed reports explaining what the problems are with them and recommends they come down

What is it with you and lopping trees? You got one of these in your kitchen? ;)

Cookstoves | InStove

Neil 04-02-2017 10:54

Why do people get so wound up about a couple of trees? It's not like they are part of an ancient forest. They were planted by a couple of blokes in donkey jackets and new ones will be planted by a couple of blokes in hi viz jackets. Street trees are never expected to stay forever, they often have to be removed if they are at risk of dropping branches or falling over because of the danger to the passing public. Throughout Hyndburn trees are routinely cut down as part of a management plan. Lots have come down on the Coppice, Jackhouse and Whinney Hill in the last couple of years.

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2017 14:12

It might just be the these two trees have become(over the years) a feature of the town.
They soften the hard outlines of the Market hall.
Removing two beautiful mature trees and replacing them with the likes of those on Broadway is a travesty and an expensive travesty at that.
The whole project is questionable for reasons that I have already posted, but not least, the fact that one and a half million quid is coming out of OUR pockets and that is if it stays within budget!

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2017 14:13

It might just be the these two trees have become(over the years) a feature of the town.
They soften the hard outlines of the Market hall.
Removing two beautiful mature trees and replacing them with the likes of those on Broadway is a travesty and an expensive travesty at that.
The whole project is questionable for reasons that I have already posted, but not least, the fact that one and a half million quid is coming out of OUR pockets and that is if it stays within budget!

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2017 15:01

Not sure why this posted twice...other than it was sent from the top deck of the bus coming back from Preston.

KiTChener 04-02-2017 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1186854)
Not sure why this posted twice...other than it was sent from the top deck of the bus coming back from Preston.

So it was a double decker then, Margaret!!

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2017 18:00

Yes it was...the link had totally gone over my head until you mentioned it :)

Neil 04-02-2017 22:48

It's questionable because you don't trust the report

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 07:20

What is questionable Neil?
That the trees are beautiful, or that it is an expensive travesty?
No, I don't trust a report that allows for the removal of a couple of trees from the centre of the town. Especially as this report gives the council the approval for their removal...which is exactly what they wanted it to say.
There isn't much greenery in the town centre. The saplings in Broadway can't really be described as trees yet...and when they do reach maturity someone will want to come and chop them down.

Neil 05-02-2017 16:00

Have you read the report?

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 16:26

I have already said that I haven't read the report Neil...in the same post that I said I wouldn't believe it if I had read it.

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 16:44

I have now looked at this report. The author cites health and safety...which always causes some twitchiness in authorities. God forbid that a conker should fall off and injure someone.
They also say that the roots could damage the new surface of the square...I hope this new surface is better than that which was laid on Broadway(at immense costs to the people of the borough)...on the plans it looks like the new surface is set to be setts or bricks.
It also says that the trees detract from the frontage of the market hall...the market hall benefits from the trees...they soften the hard Victorian lines of the building.

The whole project is a huge waste of money. It brings nothing to Accrington,it is just an expensive vanity project.
The one and a half million quid that WE are stumping up to add to the money which is being given by the Townscape Heritage Fund.
We would have been better off saying to them ' thanks, but no thanks'. The money could be better used.

Less 05-02-2017 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1186911)
I have already said that I haven't read the report Neil...in the same post that I said I wouldn't believe it if I had read it.

It's done and dusted Margaret, the powers that be want to alter the town again, we've even had a poll of 60 or so people that proves it will be the most wonderful thing since the indoor market refurbishment and the removal of the benches from outside fiasco!

I bet one of the 'volunteers' gets a commision for having sorted their way through the paperwork to get a grant that costs us all 1.5 million.

But then, that seems to be the way of things, find a useless improvement, surround yourself with other so called volunteers then convince a small amount of people it's worthwhile, the Council and it's worthy employees paid to keep things sensible will fall in line because it looks like they've actually done something.

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 17:02

Oh, I know that Less. Which is initially why i didn't waste my time reading the useless report...and before Neil tells me it isn't useless I will say it just tells us how it IS going to be regardless of what we think or feel about the thing.(it is the kind of report that you would expect a council to put out when the decision is cut and dried)
My main concern about it is the money we are expected to put into this useless project.
HBC have no plans to use this space. Any uses of the square will have to be organised by Community Groups...who could equally successfully have used the space on Broadway.

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 17:06

Oh, yes and if they don't remove these mature trees the disturbance of laying the new flooring could kill them anyway....and they are old trees, really not a suitable species for a town centre...they have been in place since the 60/70s.
It must have been because they didn't have the expert to come up with a report back then eh?

Less 05-02-2017 17:06

I bet without the lottery grant and us putting in 1.5M, some ordinary person could suggest that IF these trees are really poorly, remove them and plant some more, don't touch anything else, allow 50 years we can still have the vista we had 50+ years ago and it will be CHEAPER!

Neil 05-02-2017 17:07

The report on the trees mentions weeping from branches and that one branch needs removing which will causes stresses in the trunk, it explains why that's a problem. It was quite detailed

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 17:09

Yes, Neil I read it, but as said in the previous post it is what you expect to read when the decision is already cut and dried.
The maintenance of the trees over the rest of their lives would(I reckon) be cheaper than one and a half million quid.

Less 05-02-2017 17:12

Do we need a statue of a dog?
I'd rather have a statue of Britcliffe or Jonesy pretending to be one of the pals instead of that.

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 17:12

Neil, it sounds like you are a supporter of this project.
I am not!( only because I like to see value for money)

Margaret Pilkington 05-02-2017 17:14

Well if we had a statue of either of those, it would be something for the dogs to pee against and the pigeons to poop on

Less 05-02-2017 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1186925)
Neil, it sounds like you are a supporter of this project.
I am not!( only because I like to see value for money)

I'm partly a supporter, a supporter of benches being put back in front of the market hall, but not at that price!
For that sort of money I'd like to see proper policing to keep the problem off the benches.

odders 05-02-2017 23:23

They probably consulted Neil on how to secure funding.We all know there's not a brain between them.

Neil 06-02-2017 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1186924)
Do we need a statue of a dog?
I'd rather have a statue of Britcliffe or Jonesy pretending to be one of the pals instead of that.

I wonder how many people would want to be a pigeon? :D

Neil 06-02-2017 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by odders (Post 1186950)
They probably consulted Neil on how to secure funding.We all know there's not a brain between them.

I've no involvement with this project at all. I only get involved with green spaces and play areas, the closest to the centre of town was the St James Church work a few years ago.

Barrie Yates 06-02-2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1186921)
The report on the trees mentions weeping from branches and that one branch needs removing which will causes stresses in the trunk, it explains why that's a problem. It was quite detailed

And if you got three independent tree specialists to provide independent reports you are likely to get three conflicting reports.

Neil 07-02-2017 04:43

Maybe but they can't ignore gooey stuff leaking out and dead bits

Retlaw 07-02-2017 21:09

There has been a lot of argy bargy on this site and on Hyndburn Chat about the proposals for the new town square, A lot of the money for that project has come from lottery funds, it can only be spent on what it was applied for, any funny business and they'll take it back.
I have made proposals as to what could be done thro my daughter, if that lot on the overladen committee of ex spurts listen, that square could be something for Accrington to be proud of, no other town in the country could do anything comparable.
There is only one Accrington Pals, people will come from all over to look, and while there here they will want something to eat and drink, might even visit some of the other shops as well. I know that many have traveled far to see the banner on Broadway.
I have received many congratulations for it by members of the Great War Forum.

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2017 21:30

So do you think it is worth gambling one and a half million of our money on this project?
The Townscape Heritage Initiative (which is lottery funded) is only stumping up half of the money, but they seem to want all the say.
Personally, I don't think it is value for money...and I do not think it will bring folk into town.

Accrington Lad 07-02-2017 22:16

Pointed this out to the police once and their reply was, 'Its not our problem, the council are in charge of enforcing it'.
I've nearly been hit by vehicles and beeped at on there a few times, but it clearly says on the sign, Pedestrian path or something similar so pedestrians have the right of way.
We Need a group like the Russian group 'Stop a Douchebag'

Neil 07-02-2017 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accrington Lad (Post 1187006)
Pointed this out to the police once and their reply was, 'Its not our problem, the council are in charge of enforcing it'.
I've nearly been hit by vehicles and beeped at on there a few times, but it clearly says on the sign, Pedestrian path or something similar so pedestrians have the right of way.
We Need a group like the Russian group 'Stop a Douchebag'

Be careful with your thinking on who has right of way, I like to let the car have right of way when I'm walking. I've seen what happens when metal and skin meet

Barrie Yates 08-02-2017 09:30

One cctv camera would soon out a stop to this flagrant disregard for road signs - someone is going to get hurt. A cctv system would soon pay for itself before the numpties realised that they were doing wrong.

RainbowSix 08-02-2017 10:38

There is a thread discussing the cars driving in front of the town hall. ;)
I no longer care about it, especially after seeing the police do it too.

Less 08-02-2017 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1187029)
There is a thread discussing the cars driving in front of the town hall. ;)
I no longer care about it, especially after seeing the police do it too.

Do you mean this thread?
Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1176007)
The road in front of the town hall is a no entry from the market end and a no entry to vehicles unless loading by lorry from the viaduct end.

Today someone nearly ran me over :mad: while trying to drive down it as I was passing, being near the entrance we had a little "discussion" about him not coming down, some pointing at the sign and how I was not moving until he reversed 6' and went the correct way along the road.

Seeing as I had 5 minutes to spare I was happy to wait.

:stop: :stop:

There is never a PC (or plastic PC) or traffic warden when you actually need one :)

If so, this is that thread.
:)

RainbowSix 08-02-2017 23:03

Doh! so it is :)

It would need to be a fully automatic ANPR CCTV system and those that do have permission to be there to get to in front of the town hall, the shops would need to be added to the system.
Can't see that happening or the whole situation changing.

May as well chop a tree down....

AccyMad 13-02-2017 08:07

Just seen a photo of the market hall now the trees have been cut down - doesn't look right at all, it's a damn shame :(

Margaret Pilkington 13-02-2017 14:01

Chestnut trees chopped down outside Market Hall - Accrington Observer
Here is a link so that you can see what council vandalism looks like and just how ugly to Market hall really looks when the view is unobscured by two mature trees. Absolutely appalling.
Just my opinion you understand.

Margaret Pilkington 13-02-2017 14:13

Oh yes and there is an article about some of the misunderstandings about the financing of the Towncentre Heritage Iniative...it seems like the lottery funded THI are putting in 1.5 million quid and our town council are only putting half a million quid in...but also another 700,000 quid for refurbishment of Blackburn road and shop fronts, so that makes it alright does it?...I was rope at sums in school, but by my reckoning that is still 1.2 million quid of our money.
Council sets record straight over £2m town improvements - Accrington Observer
Read it here.
Not good value for money...but Miles thinks that as it is the only option on the table, we might as well go for it. He thinks it will bring inward investment...dream on Miles, dream on!

Hill Walker 13-02-2017 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187319)

Looking at the photo's in the link there appears to have been some lettering removed from both the left and right of 'Market Hall'. You can just see the outline of some of the letters, but I cannot make out what the words were. Does anybody have any memory of this? Did the building have any other use at some time?

Less 13-02-2017 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187319)
Chestnut trees chopped down outside Market Hall - Accrington Observer
Here is a link so that you can see what council vandalism looks like and just how ugly to Market hall really looks when the view is unobscured by two mature trees. Absolutely appalling.
Just my opinion you understand.

Well, maybe, just maybe they'll find a good way of recycling those trees?

Could it be they plan to make benches out of them so they can stay outside the market hall?

Wrong type of wood? Or just wrong?

fat stanley 13-02-2017 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187005)
So do you think it is worth gambling one and a half million of our money on this project?
The Townscape Heritage Initiative (which is lottery funded) is only stumping up half of the money, but they seem to want all the say.
Personally, I don't think it is value for money...and I do not think it will bring folk into town.

Agree with this

Neil 13-02-2017 23:39

I'm going to wait until they have finished the work before I decide if it's a good or bad idea. Not really fair to judge the project on day 2 of the work

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 06:25

I am not judging it on day two of the work Neil....I am judging it on the plans for the area.
It will not make one jot of difference to the viability of the town centre. It is top dressing...All for show. The town doesn't need this kind of money spent on a vanity project.
And to do this because it is the only option on offer(as Miles Parkinson puts it) is just about right for the mentality of our council.
This is a time when there are cuts to,services, when the cost of services is rising. I think that spending 1.2 million pounds of our money on something that will offer nothing in return is poor value for money.

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 09:11

If the money for this project were coming out of the personal funds of our council officials I think perhaps it would be considered far more carefully.
It is very easy to spend money which does not belong to you...on projects that mean nothing, will do nothing.
There is not a cohesive strategy to do anything effective for the town.
No one is going to come to Accrington to see a town square...and for those who think they will...well, they are delusional (and that is the kindest thing I can think of to say about them).

Accyexplorer 14-02-2017 13:41

1 Attachment(s)
Bye bye conker trees :mad:

Attachment 55094

cashman 14-02-2017 14:11

I saw that at dinner time very apt.bet the goons get sent to remove!!

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 14:23

I think the tenuous link to the Pals regiment is both dishonest and opportunistic and was attached to this project as a means of deflecting dissent(council members knew that there would BE dissent to the project)....of course anything linked to the pals Regiment is alright...except it isn't.
Putting tramstyle seating...how is that a link to the regiment?
if the paving stones were engraved with the names of the fallen, then that might be a link, but as far as I am aware it is only a statue of a stray mongrel dog which is the link to the Pals.
It is suggested that this was not the dog belonging to the regiment, but a mutt who had wandered into town and joined the parade.
What a bloomin' waste of money!

odders 14-02-2017 14:34

Using the Pals and Stanley is just discrediting everything they are about and others r stupid council wants to pull heartstrings in justifying their chance to spend money

cashman 14-02-2017 14:53

That to me demonstrates perfectly how useless HBC has become.:( my guess,only certain people wont see it for what it is,

Less 14-02-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by odders (Post 1187427)
Using the Pals and Stanley is just discrediting everything they are about and others r stupid council wants to pull heartstrings in justifying their chance to spend money

Heartstrings? I can't see any heartstrings being pulled over this dumb mutt, I could perhaps have mine plucked just a touch if say, they had wanted to put up a statue to the youngest of the men that fell, or, perhaps the oldest of the men that fell, or perhaps any of the men that fell gallantly for OUR future, but a monument to a dog?

Come on, where is the sense in that?

I bet this magnificent statue won't even be commissioned from a local artist, it will be forced upon us from some trendy nobody that has a copy of his Jack Russel* going spare.

* It doesn't have to be a Jack Russel, it could be any breed of undeserving mongrel.
:mad:

Neil 14-02-2017 18:26

1 Attachment(s)
How about this one?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...1&d=1487100391

Margaret Pilkington 14-02-2017 18:41

Yes Neil, that'll do.

Less 14-02-2017 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1187459)
Yes Neil, that'll do.

Unfortunately, they have already proved that their imagination isn't capable of something humorous.

If it wasn't for the fact that some poor unfortunates make their living within the Market Hall, I would suggest that we do what the rest of the nation does, ignore the area until the Council come to their senses and save the £1.5 million we are being forced to stump up.