Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Black Friday? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/black-friday-68682.html)

cashman 17-11-2016 11:23

Black Friday?

I keep getting E-Mails about this! I watched summat on TV the other day, saying that much of the stuff advertised for sale on Black Friday had actually had the price INCREASED,:eek: Now i have NEVER been one of these suckers that rush out and buy bargains on this or any day, but i know many that fall fer this crap.:rolleyes:

Eric 17-11-2016 12:21

Re: Black Friday?

Personally, I don't like Black Friday. It's too much of an American thing; and it's fine for them 'cause they don't do Boxing Day. It's just one too many days where folks go and spend money they don't have. We're gonna have it here. But that's kind of understandable. We are so close to the border that cross-border shopping is a problem for our local retailers. And if shoppers are going to waste brass they might as well do it in their home town.

US Angel 17-11-2016 12:50

Done is a few times but have always checked $$ before thou

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2016 14:11

Nope, don't do Black Friday.
I am always a bit suspicious about such deals and will check to see if what I am looking for is better value elsewhere.
I can't say I have ever bought anything just because it was cheap...or on offer.
I would only buy if it was something I needed or wanted to have.

Less 17-11-2016 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1181521)
Nope, don't do Black Friday.
I am always a bit suspicious about such deals and will check to see if what I am looking for is better value elsewhere.
I can't say I have ever bought anything just because it was cheap...or on offer.
I would only buy if it was something I needed or wanted to have.

I've often bought things because they were cheap, but only if it fits in with my needs.

I have missed out on many a bargain because at that moment I just didn't need it.

So did I miss out? I still had my money to buy some other bargain that was just around the corner that was most useful.

By most useful I mean, a bit of emergency cash so that if my washing machine for example went tits up, I would have the cash to search for a bargain.

It's only a bargain if it replaces something useful/needed/wanted at a price lower than the prices offered for similar products on the high street.

These days we don't have a high street, but we do have Google 365/24/7 if you can't find a bargain you haven't switched your computer on.

odders 17-11-2016 19:36

Black Friday has been banished in the U.K. Look at amazon they're are doing 12 days instead. I'm all for a bargain but not at this time of year, everything is inflated price wise

RainbowSix 18-11-2016 08:11

Lets face it, all that gets reduced to a bargain is the overpriced crud that they cannot shift anyway, they put the price up beforehand so that they can bring it down tos till be more than it's worth anyway.

Then they actually only have a few in stock at a bargain price, the rest is still the overpriced junk.

Don't need it, don't want it.

I have fish & chips on a Friday instead :)

Jim Procter 18-11-2016 14:10

Have you noticed the --reduced on selected items? Selected by who,I ask myself.Selected by them to shift items they can't shift at the inflated price

cashman 21-11-2016 11:14

Reckon yeh nailed it yon,

MrPastry 23-11-2016 09:05

When's HAVE A PIE DAY? :-)

RainbowSix 23-11-2016 12:07

Every day is "have a pie day" :)

redgeek 24-11-2016 23:01

Black Friday, it's when americans buy things they don't actually need just because it's on sale. For me it's a waste of time and money. I only buy what I need

DaveinGermany 25-11-2016 15:16

I thought it was something the Brussels Bullshting Cooperative were pushing to make us more fluffy bunny inclusive. ;)

Less 25-11-2016 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1181992)
I thought it was something the Brussels Bullshting Cooperative were pushing to make us more fluffy bunny inclusive. ;)

Black Friday?

It's like the rest of the Christmas bull,

Xmas day used to be ONE day, then in the middle ages no doubt some entrepreneur (a fiddle player or someone with a bit of popularity on the recorder), invented 12 days of Christmas then went on & on & on.

Advertising was invented gradually pushing the season nearer and nearer to July.

Now we have black Friday, which started as one day, now added to Christmas and has gone on for at least a month.

Maybe if folk didn't max their credit cards over this period they would have money to buy bargains the rest of the year?

Gremlin 25-11-2016 18:16

We wanted a large rug for the new house, never gave black friday a though.
Went into a store with no one apart from the saleman about. Got exactly what we needed and a nice 15% discount.