Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/brick-red-brick-barn-hapton-68780.html)

taddy 04-01-2017 10:11

Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton

Does anyone have any information about a building shown on the first edition of
the Ordnance Survey maps as Brick Barn ?

It was situated on the Hapton side of the later to come Power Station, an old drinking buddy of mine by the name of Henry Holt once told me a tale, well not a tale more of a fact, that he was born in the front bedroom of the said Brick Barn and his birth place was registered as Hapton; his brother however was born in the back bedroom and his birthplace was registered as Huncoat.
This does seem to be highly feasable as the boundry stream now runs in a culvert directly under the old still visable (if you know where to look) ruined building.
Maybe one for you Rowlf

Rowlf 04-01-2017 10:25

Re: Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton

Ok Taddy, I will try and find out for you. There is a meeting of the Hapton Heritage group next week so maybe someone there can shed some light on it.I will let you know.

taddy 04-01-2017 11:43

Many thanks.

Accyexplorer 04-01-2017 12:33

Not sure if it's the same place,on the canal bank,but Davemac and I have both posted pics of the ruins on here somewhere.

You could try looking on this link:-
Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.

taddy 04-01-2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1184426)
Not sure if it's the same place,on the canal bank,but Davemac and I have both posted pics of the ruins on here somewhere.

You could try looking on this link:-
Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.

Thanks for the above, I have Roy's information on Huncoat, as for whether Brick Barn is on or by the canal I can only answer no.

Since the M65 and it's link road to Huncoat and Hapton were built, Brick Barn or the remnants of it, is virtually isolated; access to it is restricted to the footpath that runs in front of Grime, (sorry), Peter Grime Row from Altham Lane and then following the old Power Station wire mesh fence as it turns North/left towards the railway. a small grove of Elderberry bushes parks the site within maybe fifty yards.

Rowlf 04-01-2017 13:54

There is reference to brick barn on Roy's site. Quote..1844 Brick Barn farm in fields east of Blind Lane Ends. There is a photo on there too. If I find anything else from the Heritage meeting I will let you know Taddy.

taddy 04-01-2017 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1184428)
Thanks for the above, I have Roy's information on Huncoat, as for whether Brick Barn is on or by the canal I can only answer no.

Since the M65 and it's link road to Huncoat and Hapton were built, Brick Barn or the remnants of it, is virtually isolated; access to it is restricted to the footpath that runs in front of Grime, (sorry), Peter Grime Row from Altham Lane and then following the old Power Station wire mesh fence as it turns North/left towards the railway. a small grove of Elderberry bushes parks the site within maybe fifty yards.

Sorry, should have read marks the site,:o

TubbyLes 04-01-2017 19:13

Huncoat area was once under Burnley then changed to be under Accrington.This might account for changes in birth place.Some of my ancestors fell under that change.

Rowlf 04-01-2017 19:40

Both Hapton and Huncoat came under Burnley for registration certainly in 1916 when my father was born in Huncoat and my mother in Hapton. Putting either village as the place of birth was obviously what the registrar was told and perhaps the brothers were registered by two different people who had differing ideas as to exactly where Brick Barn Farm was.

Rowlf 04-01-2017 19:43

The actual place of registration for both villages was Padiham. I remember my dad saying his father and his uncle walked from Huncaot to Padiham to register both him and his cousin. The registrar from Burnley must have had a surgery in Padiham on certain days.

taddy 05-01-2017 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyLes (Post 1184445)
Huncoat area was once under Burnley then changed to be under Accrington.This might account for changes in birth place.Some of my ancestors fell under that change.

Yes you are correct, Huncoat became part of Accrington in 1929/30, the two brothers that I refered to in my first post were born before that date when Huncoat was still a parish? (part) of Burnley.

Many thanks for all/any information.

taddy 05-01-2017 11:11

After reading my first post again, it does seem misleading; where I have said each brother was (registered), one in Hapton and the other in Huncoat, what was probably said was, one was born in Hapton and the other in Huncoat.

Don't forget that this conversation happened probably forty/forty five years ago in the (then White Lion Hotel), after consuming what was then good strong real ale.
No such drink as the ice cold no taste stuff of today.

Rowlf 05-01-2017 15:15

Ha Ha sounds like you had a good night Taddy.

Bob Dobson 06-01-2017 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1184429)
There is reference to brick barn on Roy's site. Quote..1844 Brick Barn farm in fields east of Blind Lane Ends. There is a photo on there too. If I find anything else from the Heritage meeting I will let you know Taddy.

Fi9rst time I've heard about the Hapton Heritage Group. Please have a look at the Lancashire Local History Federation's website. It is an umbrella for such groups.

Rowlf 06-01-2017 15:57

Have a look at our site Bob. Haptonheritage.co.uk. We were formed in 2011 and have a dozen members who regularly attend our monthly meetings. Although only a small group compared to some we are dedicated in preserving all things to do with Hapton.