Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Smart Meters (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/smart-meters-68841.html)

Rowlf 23-01-2017 21:26

Smart Meters

I understand every home is to have a Smart Meter by 2020. Thought we might as well get one in in good time. The engineers came and said one would not work in our house as the electric meter and the gas meter are too far apart.
They did however fit a more up to date meter for each. The electric meter is under the stairs in the hall way and the gas meter is under the sink in the kitchen. Surely we cannot be the only house with this arrangement so what happens between now and 2020 ? Will Smart meters be modified to be more smart and work with more distance between the gas and electric and if the two meters need re siting will the provider pay for the work that will be needed?
Has anyone on the Web had a smart meter yet and if so how far are their meters apart?

cashman 23-01-2017 21:40

Re: Smart Meters

We have refused a couple of times to have em, after speaking to a few that have got em and are not happy at all due to various stuff, fuel cost for one.

Michael1954 23-01-2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1186226)
I understand every home is to have a Smart Meter by 2020.

Is this optional or compulsory?

gpick24 23-01-2017 21:46

Optional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowlf 23-01-2017 21:57

I hope you are right gpick24 .

Rowlf 23-01-2017 22:07

How come the cost is greater Cashman? I understood the tariff stays the same and you can see what you use and there would be no need for estimated bills.

gpick24 24-01-2017 05:54

Smart Meters

"Smart meters aren’t compulsory and people can choose not to have one."

Copied from here, but read it in other places as well - https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/the...ut-the-rollout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cashman 24-01-2017 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1186234)
How come the cost is greater Cashman? I understood the tariff stays the same and you can see what you use and there would be no need for estimated bills.

i have no idea rowlf, but the people i asked i can trust, so that'll do for me.also i NEVER have estimated bills cos i'm with the best and cheapest company in my view and have been for the last 5 years or so, the big 6 are a complete rip off, i fail to understand why ANYONE remains with em.

maxthecollie 24-01-2017 08:48

My mother lives in a Hyndburn Homes bungalow and she is with British Gas for electricity and gas. They came three months back to fit smart meters, but said that her electricity cupboard is not big enough.

maxthecollie 24-01-2017 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1186238)
i have no idea rowlf, but the people i asked i can trust, so that'll do for me.also i NEVER have estimated bills cos i'm with the best and cheapest company in my view and have been for the last 5 years or so, the big 6 are a complete rip off, i fail to understand why ANYONE remains with em.

What company are you with Cashy? I am looking to change mine

cashman 24-01-2017 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1186243)
What company are you with Cashy? I am looking to change mine

Have Pmd yeh mate.;) aint gonna advertise em.

Margaret Pilkington 24-01-2017 12:50

Why Cashy?
It would be good to promote companies which are better...both in terms of price and service.

cashman 24-01-2017 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1186246)
Why Cashy?
It would be good to promote companies which are better...both in terms of price and service.

Not my way margaret if anyones interested they can P.M. me no problem.

Rowlf 24-01-2017 15:01

It is the Government who is pushing providers to install these meters by 2020 so although at the moment it is a matter of choice I suspect that will not always be the case. There must be thousands of homes where extensive work would need doing to accommodate the new meters. Another great idea that they have not thought through. No surprise there.

Less 24-01-2017 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1186251)
It is the Government who is pushing providers to install these meters by 2020 so although at the moment it is a matter of choice I suspect that will not always be the case. There must be thousands of homes where extensive work would need doing to accommodate the new meters. Another great idea that they have not thought through. No surprise there.

Why would the Government wish to have so called 'independent' companies install such meters?

Ah, could it be, it makes them look greener?

I do actually plan to have them fitted, I've seen them working, they do seem to make folk more responsible and careful about the power used in their houses.

So long as a couple of years down the road, the same Government doesn't force up the prices because we are being too careful with our power consumption.