Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   General Election called (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/general-election-called-69108.html)

AccyMad 18-04-2017 10:14

General Election called

Mrs May has just announced there will be a general election on June 8th - who'd have thought it?
Right decision I think but a little surprising

Gremlin 18-04-2017 10:21

Re: General Election called

Right decision,yes.
Nows the time to get the standing Hyndburn MP out of office.
I never thought I would be saying that but recently I've been slowly changing my mind.

It's not set in stone yet, it's got to go to a commons vote tomorrow.

Bob Dobson 18-04-2017 10:50

Striking whilst the iron is hot and before Labour have jettisoned Corbyn

cashman 18-04-2017 11:21

I have NEVER in my life voted Tory, but this time i definitely will.

Gremlin 18-04-2017 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192600)
I have NEVER in my life voted Tory, but this time i definitely will.

Join the queue cashman. I'm in the same mind as you.

Neil 18-04-2017 11:50

I've said before that our general election times should be fixed, something like the 1st Monday in June on years ending in a 0 or 5. I don't like how the government can call an election when they want because they think they can increase the number of MP's they have to railroad things through parliament.

That said I might have to vote Tory this time as well because voting anyone else will be voting Labour and that would give us Jeremy Corbyn's version of Brexit which would be like not leaving at all.

cashman 18-04-2017 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1192604)
I've said before that our general election times should be fixed, something like the 1st Monday in June on years ending in a 0 or 5. I don't like how the government can call an election when they want because they think they can increase the number of MP's they have to railroad things through parliament.

That said I might have to vote Tory this time as well because voting anyone else will be voting Labour and that would give us Jeremy Corbyn's version of Brexit which would be like not leaving at all.

it dont please me at all to have to vote Tory, but i find i have NO CHOICE at all.

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2017 13:10

I know who I will NOT vote for....his initials are GJ.

accyman 18-04-2017 13:45

well if you want brexit to work out for the UK and also dont want to risk the chance of it been cancelled Hyndburn are going to have to kick out its labour MP as should any other area that voted brexit

do you really want to risk a labour government especially with folk who have made their opinion on brexit very well known and exactly what they think of us ..

just watch the back pedaling by these parasites who will say anything to keep their cushy jobs and then break their word once elected

its already happened to us once dont let it happen again

accyman 18-04-2017 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192605)
it dont please me at all to have to vote Tory, but i find i have NO CHOICE at all.

hey dont be too hard on yourself its not a you problem its a him problem

you didnt put yourself in this dilemma you were put in to it

cashman 18-04-2017 14:30

it will be very interesting i think,to see how the "Media" play this next 7 weeks!! after all they "All" wanted to remain. yet i can hardly see em supporting Labour, or Liberal.:D

accyman 18-04-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192613)
it will be very interesting i think,to see how the "Media" play this next 7 weeks!! after all they "All" wanted to remain. yet i can hardly see em supporting Labour, or Liberal.:D

oh the media especially the BBC will jump all over the opportunity to betray the UK and tell everyone its their chance to reverse brexit etc

dont be surprised if the BBC show bias towards labour and be even less surprised when they dont get pulled up for it by the fairness and equality folk that ensure they equally treat parties

Rowlf 18-04-2017 18:00

Labour do not have a snowball in hells chance of winning this election but the good thing will be they will have to get rid of Corbyn afterwards.

cashman 18-04-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1192622)
Labour do not have a snowball in hells chance of winning this election but the good thing will be they will have to get rid of Corbyn afterwards.

Thats more than likely, but he was voted in by the membership, something the SNAKES in the Labour Party refused to accept, FACT, if you call that democracy? i certainly do not,

DaveinGermany 18-04-2017 18:34

It's not just Labour who'll be losing over this "Sting", the wee ginger tom north o' the border should be getting her comeuppance too! :D

Happy days all round then? ;)

Barrie Yates 18-04-2017 18:35

So how many of the 95% will understand that even though GJ thinks that they know nothing will still vote for him.
I am proud to be one of the 95% because he rates only 5% have the same ideas/knowledge/intelligence that he does - that is certainly one brush that I don't want to be tarred with.
I will vote Tory, not quite purely and simply because there is no alternative way of achieving a sensible Brexit, but also because our current representative has such a low opinion of the intelligence level of his constituents.

Less 18-04-2017 19:02

I welcome this latest general election, we can look forward to Gormless Jones back pedalling like mad telling us how well he 'served' our needs, then we can vote for anyone/anything else that might help us rid ourselves of this self serving boil on the arse of democracy.

Maybe even labour will get rid of him and put someone else forward?

Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Less 18-04-2017 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1192630)
I welcome this latest general election, we can look forward to Gormless Jones back pedalling like mad telling us how well he 'served' our needs, then we can vote for anyone/anything else that might help us rid ourselves of this self serving boil on the arse of democracy.

Maybe even labour will get rid of him and put someone else forward?

Sorry, perhaps rather than labour, I should have said NEW Labour, If, Oh, if only IF we could have a real representative of the Labour party and not some Blaire
wanna be clone?

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1192630)

help us rid ourselves of this self serving boil on the arse of democracy.

I just love this Less...especially the 'boil'bit

Michael1954 18-04-2017 20:56

Supporters of the Labour Party will be looking forward to the forthcoming election because when Labour are comprehensively beaten, it will easier to get rid of that sorry excuse for a politician, Jeremy Corbyn.

I will be voting Conservative.

shillelagh 18-04-2017 23:54

who says all the labourites are looking forward to this election ... I actually am not .. do I really need all hell let loose for the next 7 and a bit weeks and for whatever comes afterwards ...

and really if you think about what will happen is Scotland will go over the snp .. to the ginger krankie .. and then it will be all about independence for Scotland .... gawd help us for northern Ireland .. if that all kicks off again ...

JCB 19-04-2017 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1192626)
So how many of the 95% will understand that even though GJ thinks that they know nothing will still vote for him.
I am proud to be one of the 95% because he rates only 5% have the same ideas/knowledge/intelligence that he does

What is this 95% thing which keeps cropping up , often when Graham Jones is being referred to ?

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2017 06:58

I am never filled with joy at the thought of a general election.
In most recent times it has left me scribbling things onto the ballot paper as I have deemed all the candidates as 'not fit to run a jumble sale'.
My last foray saw me putting my precious X in GJ's box.
I think Theresa May has done exactly the right thing. So many people have sniped at her saying 'this was not on the manifesto'(since when did ANY politician care what was on the political manifesto).
She will be able to determine a new manifesto and the people will get to decide if they like what she is proposing.

I haven't got a clue who I will be voting for. I only know that I will definitely , most certainly, over my dead body, NOT vote for GJ.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2017 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1192659)
What is this 95% thing which keeps cropping up , often when Graham Jones is being referred to ?

He made a comment that alluded to the intelligence of 95% of the Hyndburn electorate when it came to voting on a referendum over the EU.
He plainly thought we were not in possession of enough brain power to sort the wheat from the chaff(or at least that is how I remember it) on this issue...it was insulting and patronising...he clearly thought we should let the elite(those elected by us...with no power of critical thought) decide such a momentous issue.

accybeme 19-04-2017 07:33

And when we have put the Tories back in power with an increased majority and with most of them being pro Europe do we then get a second referendum

cashman 19-04-2017 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by accybeme (Post 1192664)
And when we have put the Tories back in power with an increased majority and with most of them being pro Europe do we then get a second referendum

What planet are you on mate? never gonna happen a second referendum,:rolleyes:

accybeme 19-04-2017 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192669)
What planet are you on mate? never gonna happen a second referendum,:rolleyes:

Hi, cashy To the best of my knowledge it’s called planet Earth, as for a second referendum it’s not an out of this world scenario

cashman 19-04-2017 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by accybeme (Post 1192671)
Hi, cashy To the best of my knowledge it’s called planet Earth, as for a second referendum it’s not an out of this world scenario

only for an idiot Liberal like Tim Farron.

maxthecollie 19-04-2017 11:39

Tory this time .Get rid of Corbyn. I only hope that Mr.Britcliffe doesn't put up as M.P. Then I will not vote.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2017 11:48

I WILL vote, but not for GJ and certainly not for PB.

JCB 19-04-2017 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1192663)
He made a comment that alluded to the intelligence of 95% of the Hyndburn electorate when it came to voting on a referendum over the EU.

I have only come across this 95% thing on this forum .

Did Graham Jones make the comment on this forum or elsewhere ?

When and where ?

Source please .

cashman 19-04-2017 12:19

He certainly made it, as for where memorys not that good, perhaps twitter cos hes come out with allsorts of rubbish on yon.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2017 12:22

I do not know where it came from....whether here or somewhere else.
And I think if you wish to find out then you can search the archives. If I had a source I would have posted it
It will no doubt be in the archives. I don't have the appetite to search for it. It was distasteful the first time around and I do not wish to revisit it.
There may be other members on here who will give you a source, or may have a clearer memory than mine.
I know that at the time it caused something of an uproar...and GJ was a regular contributor on here in the past.
He has not been much of a contributor recently...maybe he is too busy, maybe we are not really that important to him anymore.
Maybe we will become more important now he might be wanting our votes.

cashman 19-04-2017 12:30

Plus it was months ago last year sometime the comment was made, we know damn well what we read, if yer that interested JCB go have a root and dig it up.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2017 13:01

Cashy, I think it was longer ago than that. It was long before the referendum was granted(that is my memory anyway...anyone else who knows any better can set me straight).
At the time I felt it was an ill-considered comment.
I would not have seen it on Twitter as I do not subscribe to Twitter/Facebook.

Barrie Yates 19-04-2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1192705)

When and where ?

Source please .

It was pre-referendum - if I remember correctly it started when he said he believed in, and would vote for a referendum. When the time came and he didn't he was subjected to considerable criticism. He came out with the 95% statement soon afterwards. Not sure where that was made, or reported, I suggest that the first area for you to search would be on here prior to the actual vote for the referendum.

Neil 19-04-2017 13:36

Sorry for cross posting a quote from another thread but I think this is the post people are talking about. If you click the little blue arrow thing it will take you to the thread it came from

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 1103988)
What a load of rubbish.

95% of people according to those surveyed by Populus don't put Europe as an important issue. That there was a case therefore for a referendum on a the issues the public rated more important. Sensible points.

I said I didn't bother about it. That I was easy on a referendum. You'll find Labour MPs for and Labour MPs against in their public comments. At the moment a vote came were in a euro zone crises and everyone agreed against a referendum. Common sense again given the circumstances.

I also said that we would vote to stay in. Latest opinion polls are confirming that with the dont knows moving to 'in'. Sky's recent poll was to stay in.

My own view - and your going to hate this - but every business bar one in Hyndburn I have spoken to is saying we must stay in.

As for calling Labour voters numpty's - bottom of the barrel stuff and undermines any argument put forward.

hilleluk 19-04-2017 13:39

Regular watcher of PMQs Today your MP actually asked a question, not a very good one mind

cashman 19-04-2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1192720)
Sorry for cross posting a quote from another thread but I think this is the post people are talking about. If you click the little blue arrow thing it will take you to the thread it came from

It came from "The Labour Gravy Train" thread, read it through JCB post 66 is very interesting also,its worth yeh reading before yeh vote Liberal.:D

Neil 19-04-2017 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192722)
It came from "The Labour Gravy Train" thread, read it through JCB post 66 is very interesting also,its worth yeh reading before yeh vote Liberal.:D

You can access the thread by clicking the blue arrow on the post I quoted above

accyman 19-04-2017 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1192705)

When and where ?

Source please .

he said it on here

i would suggest searching %95 in the websites search but he has gotten so much crap for it over the years it comes up a lot

it all started when he said he woudl support us having a referendum and within a matter of weeks to get in good favor with milliband he voted that we shoudl not have a referendum

he got promoted to the whips office which some people saw as a reward for him betraying hyndburn

JCB 19-04-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1192720)

Thanks .

And it was a post by Graham Jones which I made a reply to .

He said , " 95% of people according to those surveyed by Populus don't put Europe as an important issue."

I wouldn't regard Graham Jones' reference to an opinion poll as his reflection on the intelligence of 95% of the Hyndburn electorate .

accyman 19-04-2017 17:56

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1192726)
Thanks .

He said , " 95% of people according to those surveyed by Populus don't put Europe as an important issue."

I wouldn't regard Graham Jones' reference to an opinion poll as his reflection on the intelligence of 95% of the Hyndburn electorate .

he later said words to effect that we wernt able to comprehend the complexity of the EU

the two get taken together and thats where the %95 of us been too thick to get it comes from

then theres the public statement he released claiming it to be his own words where he forgets where he comes from and is clearly a mass issued statement from powers above where MPs are instructed to insert their constituency and pass it off as their own thoughts.Worse still it is a lie about us as we wernt asked it was all made up to make people think teh people of hyndburn backed immigration

turns out in the referendum that the tory party delivered as promised he was proven wrong as were his superiors

Less 19-04-2017 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1192726)
Thanks .

His favourite statistic was 95% no matter how small it's relevance to real facts.

He was often asked for proof of his claims...

...we are still waiting for his replies.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/1102384-post32.html

accyman 19-04-2017 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1192748)
His favourite statistic was 95% no matter how small it's relevance to real facts.

He was often asked for proof of his claims...

...we are still waiting for his replies.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/1102384-post32.html

it was at that point any further dealings he had with the riff raff were conducted mainly on facebook and twitter where he could control what remained , was said or allowed to be said

unlike here where if you say something you have to take it back pretty quickly or it stays here for years :D

also around the time most of the labour lot who were so vocal about tory failings and how much better they woudl do if elected ran away as well

it took about 2 questions and 1 criticism if i recall to get them fleeing

JCB 20-04-2017 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1192736)
he later said words to effect that we wernt able to comprehend the complexity of the EU

You don't give the words spoken or written by Graham Jones .

But as to the complexity of the EU I'm not able to comprehend the complexity of the EU .

During the Referendum campaign I was at a loss in trying to get my head around the issues as they were put forward from all sides .

I eventually made up my mind when a friend asked me a very simple question .

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2017 09:54

I am sure that you are not on your own JCB on understanding the complexity of the EU.

I trawled through lots of information before I voted, just to satisfy myself I was going to be doing what was right(with my conscience ).

I also asked myself if an organisation which wanted us to stay, that was supposed to be friendly, an ally would make the threats that it made about how we would be 'punished' for leaving.
The EU treated us like naughty children.
This organisation was far more reliant on us, than we were on it.
It was misrepresented to the people of this country. It was sold to us as a trading organisation. But it had grown to be far more than that.

I also asked myself, if this were a business would I invest in it.
That told me all I needed to know.
I do not value our elected representative making generalised slurs against the people who put him where he is today.
Whether he said it or not...he posted something that was from somewhere else and it was clearly inflammatory. I don't know anyone who would post a link to a story unless it was something that they believed to be true.

JCB 20-04-2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1192794)
I am sure that you are not on your own JCB on understanding the complexity of the EU.

I trawled through lots of information before I voted, just to satisfy myself I was going to be doing what was right(with my conscience )

I haven't bought a national newspaper since the start of the 2010 General Election campaign .

I was weary of reading newspapers which were telling me how to vote .

I wanted a newspaper which gave me the facts and enabled me to make my own judgement , based on facts , about how I ought to vote . No such paper exists .

I am a stickler for accuracy . Hence one of the reasons why I like to read facts on the forum and do not necessarily rely on someone else's interpretation of the facts , accurate though they may be . I am not questioning anyone's veracity . It's simply the way I go about things .

About the EU referendum . I was "Yes" to staying in the EU . Then as I was bombarded by TV and radio each day with a plethora of "facts" , many of them contradictory , I became a "Don't Know" .

I was telling a friend that I had a postal vote at home , and that I hadn't a clue what to do with it .

He said , " Well look at it this way . Imagine we are not in the EU and that this referendum is to decide whether we join . How would you vote ? "

Everything seemed to suddenly fall into place , and I voted as I did in 1975 in the EEC referendum . I voted "No" .

Having voted "No" , I am unsure whether the Government is capable of reaching a good conclusion to any negotiations . I think that is one of the reasons Mrs May has called a general election , because she knows she needs a larger majority to get through some unsatisfactory decisions , decisions which her present parliamentary majority would not allow . I hope I am wrong .

cashman 20-04-2017 11:54

Trouble is JCB, the liberals want a second referendum, the Labour sadly aint got a clue, removing the leader is priority on most agendas imho, The SNP are only interested in an independant Scotland,so May had very little choice in my view to change her tune and go for another election. the biased press are saying shes turning, when in fact,to me just using common sense, i too am not convinced she will get the Brexit i wish or many others for that matter, but she the lesser of the evils, a remainer who had the good sense to follow the will of the peoples majority.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2017 12:22

JCB, I read lots of different publications, many of them online...and yes there was a lot of conflicting information, but I did not rely on just that.
I searched out other forms of information, documents that outline the workings of the EU...much of it boring, wordy stuff. The kind of stuff that cures insomnia.
So it was difficult to make decisions.
For me, I felt that the people of the UK were bamboozled into thinking this would be purely a trading association, but it turned into something else without us ever being asked.
I hate feeling like I have been hoodwinked, had the wool pulled over my eyes.

As for Mrs May calling a general election. I believe she has done exactly the right thing.
It means that she can set her own agenda. It means that those who would undermine her efforts by reminding us that she was never elected, can be effectively silenced(that is, supposing she is re-elected).
She will probably make some changes to the political manifesto. I hope that she gets rd of the ludicrous foreign aid budget.
If we must participate in foreign aid, then let it be doled out as vouchers for goods and services that are provided by workers of this country...by companies based in this country.
I hope she will look at the tax loopholes that allow multinational companies to lawfully avoid paying what they should.
If companies like Starbucks and Amazon pay more into the coffers then there will be more money to help those who need the help...the old, the disabled and the sick.

From what I have seen so far of Theresa May, she seems to be a pretty rare bird, she seems to listen to the concerns of the electorate, she appears to have integrity, and it seems like she will take no crap from the less honest politicians in the Palace of Westminster. Especially those unelected parasites in the upper house who would thwart her attempts to follow the wishes of the electorate.

We do not know how things will pan out. We have to hope for the best, we have to work to make our way in the world.
We do not need to be threatened and intimidated by those in the EU who tell us we are a valued member...but want to punish us because we do not want to be part of their dysfunctional club.

hilleluk 20-04-2017 12:49

That is true Cashman, Scottish Nazi Party, are only interested in Independence, but the people in Scotland are waking up to that. Education is going down the pan, Same with NHS, they have a large pot of money to put into the NHS, badly needed by the way, but have chosen not to, simply to blame the UK Government. This is there WAR CRY, IT'S All WESTMINSTER AND THE TORY'S DOING, NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW THE SNP HAVE GOVERNED SCOTLAND.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2017 13:35

It is always easy to blame someone else.
This is what the SNP are doing. More money is allocated per head in sScotland than in England.
I can't see this position being redressed anytime soon.
The NHS really isn't National. If it were, then those in the highlands would be paying for their prescriptions at the same rate that English people who use the same service.

hilleluk 20-04-2017 13:58

The NHS is devolved to Scotland. It was the SNP who brought in No Prescription charges. There have been debates in the Scottish Assembly to try and bring in charges for those who can pay, but as usual the SNP won the debate.

accyman 21-04-2017 01:24

when that crankie look alike cow was bleeting on about leaving the UK when scotland had a referendum it wa son the basis that with leaving the UK scotland would have to leave the EU so she was campaigning for and promoting with all her energy that scotland left the EU as it was part of leaving the UK which she was fully aware of and fully understood

she now wants to remain in the EU and is belting on about not wanting to leave the EU

none of the liberal bias media especially the bbc have questioned her about this nor has the press

the woman is deranged she has no idea what she wants nor does she have any understanding on how things work at all from her actions

DaveinGermany 21-04-2017 05:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1192836)
she has no idea what she wants nor does she have any understanding on how things work at all from her actions

Oh cointreau mong cherry! She knows exactly what she wants & it's all about her! She'll use any excuse to push her agenda of an independent Jockland with her as its president, mincing about on the world stage rubbing shoulders with the great & powerful (in her minds eye). Only problem with that is, that an independent Scotland will have no significance what so ever in the big wide world, the San Marino of the North but without the decent weather.

cashman 21-04-2017 11:42

Good ole J.C. is saying classrooms are packed like sardines due to the Tory Education Policy,Well sorry i wish it were true, but from where i'm standing, classrooms have been packed like sardines for years due to Labours Immigration policy.:rolleyes:they will probably call me racist though for telling the truth.:rolleyes:

Less 21-04-2017 11:48

Labours education policy to me, appears exactly the same as the Tories education policy.

i.e. spend the absolute minimum on education so that when the electorate vote against what they want, they can blame the whole thing on the ill-educated masses.

Margaret Pilkington 21-04-2017 13:25

Less this has been the norm for a long time.
It seems that all parties want to spend as little as possible on educating our children.They do not see the children as being the future wealth of the country.
Higher education - university is something that if you expect to be able to give to your children, you are expected(as a parent) to pay for it.
Not all children are academic, but that doesn't mean that they should not be availed of the best education that we can provide.

cashman 21-04-2017 13:31

Perfectly true, All Parties for many years have failed the young, and every election, one blames the other, it makes me wonder if voting is worthwhile any more.

Less 21-04-2017 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192868)
Perfectly true, All Parties for many years have failed the young, and every election, one blames the other, it makes me wonder if voting is worthwhile any more.

It has always got to be worthwhile casting your vote, even if you are disappointed when later on you end up with a numpty representing you, because that gives you a moral right to criticise the fool.

JCB 21-04-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1192806)
She will probably make some changes to the political manifesto. I hope that she gets rd of the ludicrous foreign aid budget.

Answering a question today , Mrs May said there would be no change in foreign aid .

General election 2017: No cut to UK aid spending, says May - BBC News

Margaret Pilkington 21-04-2017 15:21

That is disappointing, unless of course, it is going to be managed in a different way.
It goes against the grain to be giving money that gos to countries who have their own space program.
It goes to countries that DO need the help, but it is unlikely to benefit those who it is aimed at.
Foreign Aid needs a radical overhaul. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

cashman 21-04-2017 16:04

Well that dont surprise me at all.to me its all about feathering yer own nest.:rolleyes:

accyman 21-04-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192857)
Good ole J.C. is saying classrooms are packed like sardines due to the Tory Education Policy,Well sorry i wish it were true, but from where i'm standing, classrooms have been packed like sardines for years due to Labours Immigration policy.:rolleyes:they will probably call me racist though for telling the truth.:rolleyes:

i went to a parents evening last night and everyone got held up and delayed because on person had to have a translator which although annoying was understandable

the kick was she was speaking English outside on her mobile phone afterwards

god knows how much that cost the school

Margaret Pilkington 21-04-2017 16:41

Cashy, I don't quite see how Foreign aid will feather the nest of an MP.
Pakistan is a beneficiary of a large part of the funding, Ethiopia gets a fine slice as doe Bangladesh...and these are only a few I can think of.

I am not against giving some foreign aid, but it should be rigorously monitored to make sure it is being used to benefit those in need. It should be going to feed, clothe and house those in need.
Not being used to create an African version of the Spice Girls.

Margaret Pilkington 21-04-2017 16:44

We have to wait and see what proposals are put forward.
Whatever happens I will not be voting for a Labour candidate. if all fails I can always draw on my ballot paper.

Less 21-04-2017 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1192879)
Whatever happens I will not be voting for a Labour candidate. if all fails I can always draw on my ballot paper.

I might vote for a Labour Candidate if:-

1/ He/she is a genuine replacement for the one we have now.
2/He/she talks in terms that show him/her to be a believable representative of this area.
3/ I grow another asshole between now and the election date.

cashman 21-04-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1192878)
Cashy, I don't quite see how Foreign aid will feather the nest of an MP.

the word begins with B and ends RS;)

Margaret Pilkington 21-04-2017 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1192880)

1/ He/she is a genuine replacement for the one we have now.
2/He/she talks in terms that show him/her to be a believable representative of this area.

I think number three is the likeliest of those things.

Neil 21-04-2017 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1192877)
i went to a parents evening last night and everyone got held up and delayed because on person had to have a translator which although annoying was understandable

the kick was she was speaking English outside on her mobile phone afterwards

god knows how much that cost the school

It shouldn't cost the school anything. If the parents needs a translator, they should take one with them at their own cost

DaveinGermany 21-04-2017 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1192877)
everyone got held up and delayed because on person had to have a translator which although annoying was understandable

No, not in the least mate! It's a school in the UK, the language of the Country is English (or it damn well should be). That being the case, any sort of communication or transfer of information should be in English & if people can't comprehend why are they in the country? If you no speaka da lingo, how are you supposed to integrate & fully function within a British society??? :mad:

accyman 21-04-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1192880)

what potting technique are you using and are they self fertilizing?

Barrie Yates 22-04-2017 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1192888)
It shouldn't cost the school anything. If the parents needs a translator, they should take one with them at their own cost

If you require a translator in France, for whatever reason, you organise one and pay for them. I think the same applies in Spain, perhaps Cashy can confirm.

cashman 22-04-2017 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1192910)
If you require a translator in France, for whatever reason, you organise one and pay for them. I think the same applies in Spain, perhaps Cashy can confirm.

Yep i was perfectly happy to do so when i needed one,at hospitals, electricity shops etc, I took the view its their country and i didn't know the lingo. People are on a damn good thing here, thanks to the stupidity of those that are supposed to look after us,

DaveinGermany 23-04-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1192910)
in France,

Speaking of which, the Mongsewers & Madmossels are off to the first round of elections today. I really do hope Marine Le Pen kicks butt today & sends the scummy socialists whining & yowling, tail tucked between their legs down the road to oblivion after what they've done to France & her people!

Don't get me wrong on this, like any good Englishman worth his salt I can't abide the sneering, self centred, arrogant froggits, whose arses we've kicked & then confusingly rescued on varying occasions over the years.

No,the reasoning for my desire to see a more nationalistic & French France resurgent is far more selfish than that, I want Le Pen to dominate in France to assist & expedite the "Shoving it up eu!" & removal of the hordes of "Rapefugees & Gimmegrants" skulking along the French coast waiting to illegally enter our fair isle.

Vive La Victoire! Vive Le Pen!

Margaret Pilkington 23-04-2017 13:36

Who knows...there might even be a Frexit.
Wouldn't that be a turnup and a poker in the eye for that arrogant Jean C Junker?(though I have another name for him - not suitable for on here)

DaveinGermany 23-04-2017 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1193056)
Who knows...there might even be a Frexit.

Possibilities abound! But the majority of the frogs will need to develop a backbone first or even a pair of nads! I think the feisty Mizz Le Pen is carting them round in a sack at the moment (the nads of them neutered Eroes de Rezisdanze). I believe she has stated she wants to call a referendum on eu membership, drop the €uro like a bad habit & bring back national borders & rapid deportation of illegals, all very laudable & to my mind extremely sensible actions, but ........... She needs to get into the Elysee first!

And the Froglings gawd luv 'em, are their own worst enemies as has been proven over & over again with their Gallic shoulder shrugging, lefty socialist attitudes of Lesby fair & sesspit lavvy!

Margaret Pilkington 23-04-2017 14:16

Yes...but strange things have been happening of late.
Who would have predicted the result of the US election...or for that matter the referendum here(though that battle is not yet won).
If it did happen then I think the EU would disintegrate.

DaveinGermany 23-04-2017 19:45

Looks like the Marine & the Front National (second with 21.7%) are headed for the run offs in 2 weeks time. As with the 2012 run-offs the FN qualified but the French sheeple ganged up on her & went with the usual suspects, hence froglands current state of disarray & turmoil.

One can only hope the froglings see the error or their ways & choose the sensible if not necessarily their favoured option for what it is, a chance to return France to its former self prior to Brussels diktats & demands.

accyman 23-04-2017 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1192995)
Yep i was perfectly happy to do so when i needed one,at hospitals, electricity shops etc, I took the view its their country and i didn't know the lingo. People are on a damn good thing here, thanks to the stupidity of those that are supposed to look after us,

when i was in spain and rushed to hospital i just gave the german bloke called john next to me some fags while we nattered and he translated for me

nicotine is a powerful trading tool when the nearest shop is miles away and you have a catheter in yer winky

must remember to send him his lighter back

cashman 23-04-2017 21:08

Well the 2 that have gone through in France,both parties have never been in Power, another example to me,of how the people are pig sick of the establishment,

accyman 23-04-2017 21:41

in our election corbyn is trying to oaint himslef as teh vitim of media hoping he will succeed like trump did

difference is trump loves his country corbyn chums around with those who want to destroy it

hes a big fan of the IRA and Islamic hate preachers , dosnt lie our army and despises the royal family

also can we trust a guy who cant find anywhere to sit on an empty train and even gets caught out lying about it

Barrie Yates 23-04-2017 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1193054)
Speaking of which, the Mongsewers & Madmossels are off to the first round of elections today. I really do hope Marine Le Pen kicks butt today & sends the scummy socialists whining & yowling, tail tucked between their legs down the road to oblivion after what they've done to France & her people!

Don't get me wrong on this, like any good Englishman worth his salt I can't abide the sneering, self centred, arrogant froggits, whose arses we've kicked & then confusingly rescued on varying occasions over the years.

No,the reasoning for my desire to see a more nationalistic & French France resurgent is far more selfish than that, I want Le Pen to dominate in France to assist & expedite the "Shoving it up eu!" & removal of the hordes of "Rapefugees & Gimmegrants" skulking along the French coast waiting to illegally enter our fair isle.

Vive La Victoire! Vive Le Pen!

Same hopes as you DinG, but now that she has come second all the losing candidates will try and swing their support behind the other one - ganging up on France's saviour in waiting.

DaveinGermany 24-04-2017 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1193104)
Same hopes as you DinG, but now that she has come second all the losing candidates will try and swing their support behind the other one - ganging up on France's saviour in waiting.

How very French of them, well, it's their own downfall as there's no known cure for stupidity!

cashman 24-04-2017 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1193104)

Thats a knocking bet,some of the losers are already telling their voters to vote fer Macron.i think the French are Stupid enough to listen to em, hope i'm wrong.

Barrie Yates 24-04-2017 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1193116)
Thats a knocking bet,some of the losers are already telling their voters to vote fer Macron.i think the French are Stupid enough to listen to em, hope i'm wrong.

The French are habitual losers and are only on the winning side when Le Rosbifs come to their rescue:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 24-04-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1193116)

They will listen, and of course the French people will get the government they deserve.

Exile on Spencer St 24-04-2017 17:12

If the French people think their lives and job prospects will be improved by voting for a global corporatist banker, they deserve what's coming to them (i.e. more of the same).

Barrie Yates 25-04-2017 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1193136)
If the French people think their lives and job prospects will be improved by voting for a global corporatist banker, they deserve what's coming to them (i.e. more of the same).

Apparently Macron wants to cut public spending by E12 billion a year for 5 years, cut 120,000 public sector jobs and cut taxes by 20 billion a year - he must have the Midas touch, and the courage to endure the inevitable strikes by the public sector workers. He probably hasn't factored in the increased payments to the EU to make up for the loss of funding from the UK. Allez France.;)

Margaret Pilkington 25-04-2017 13:39

Listening to the Labour Party plans from Keir Starmer does not fill me with confidence for a possibility of a Labour Government.
They do not want to negotiate with the EU, they want to capitulate.
Jeremy Corbyn would go to the EU and negotiate(in the event of a Labour victory) and he would come back with a deal...regardless.
They want access to the single market, this in spite of the fact that we actually buy more from EU countries than they buy from us.
Let us get right out...not one foot in and one foot out...but totally completely out of it.
We share a house with 27 other lodgers, but pay half of the rent...that is the main reason they do not want us to leave and Labour would show their hand of cards before they get to the table.
This is clearly not what was voted for at the referendum. But of course these elite politicians believe that they know what is best for us.

cashman 25-04-2017 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1193166)
Listening to the Labour Party plans from Keir Starmer does not fill me with confidence for a possibility of a Labour Government.
They do not want to negotiate with the EU, they want to capitulate.
Jeremy Corbyn would go to the EU and negotiate(in the event of a Labour victory) and he would come back with a deal...regardless.
They want access to the single market, this in spite of the fact that we actually buy more from EU countries than they buy from us.
Let us get right out...not one foot in and one foot out...but totally completely out of it.
We share a house with 27 other lodgers, but pay half of the rent...that is the main reason they do not want us to leave and Labour would show their hand of cards before they get to the table.
This is clearly not what was voted for at the referendum. But of course these elite politicians believe that they know what is best for us.

Have to disagree Margaret. they know whats best for themselves not us.

Margaret Pilkington 25-04-2017 16:16

Yes, we both KNOW that, but they believe we are too dense and I'll informed to determine what is good for us.
Not really too different from what is happening in France.
The people are being hoodwinked by their politicians too.
They have a choice. They can vote for someone who is not in the mould of previous administrations, or they can keep to the status quo and nothing will change for the better.

We have a choice too on the 8th of June. We can vote for someone who will take us right out of the mess that is the EU, or we can vote for the banner not the man (the man is clearly not fit to lead) and get a government which will do what other Labour governments have done.( they may need coalition help to do this, which will hamper their proposals)They will spend silly money that they have not got, with no ideas as to how to get it...they will borrow money that our children will spend their lives paying for.
So we are (almost) in the same boat.

Margaret Pilkington 25-04-2017 16:27

That should read 'ill informed'( predictive text )

DaveinGermany 25-04-2017 19:24

Oh deary me, the poor little frogling "flocon de neiges" aren't happy bunnies! They don't like the options on offer so are going to boycott the vote ...... hmm, sounds vaguely familiar somehow. :D

French election 2017 - Voters could abstain in Marine Le Pen row | World | News | Express.co.uk

Margaret Pilkington 25-04-2017 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1193176)
Oh deary me, the poor little frogling "flocon de neiges" aren't happy bunnies! They don't like the options on offer so are going to boycott the vote ...... hmm, sounds vaguely familiar somehow. :D

French election 2017 - Voters could abstain in Marine Le Pen row | World | News | Express.co.uk

My heart bleeds purple pee for them!

Margaret Pilkington 26-04-2017 12:50

The media are full of criticism of Keir Starmer and his shambolic speech.
This is the 'would be' leader of the Labour Party.
He is also the Shadow secretary for Brexit, and yet he wants to keep the single market, but says they will curb free movement of people. So he wants to be in the EU and out of the EU at the same time. How will that work?
And does he know how daft it sounds.
This is something I commented on yesterday(are the journalists picking my brains - no, of course they aren't). I do not reckon I am particularly smart, but if I can see how daft it all is why can't those in the political parties?

cashman 26-04-2017 14:37

Labour i'm sad to say have become nothing more than embarrassing.

Margaret Pilkington 26-04-2017 14:46

Cashy, you are right, but they treat us like we haven't a brain to bless ourselves with.
They have a lot of highflown ideas(and some of them would be very good if they could tell us how they would be funded) but not a lot of common sense.
Are they seriously thinking we will swallow this garbage.
They talk about Theresa May being unreliable because she changed her mind about calling an election.
She changed her mind because the circumstances changed.
If you were the Captain of a ship and you saw a huge iceberg heading right for you...you would change your direction of travel(well, you would if you had an ounce of sense).
So many people were telling her that she did not have a mandate for this...did not have a mandate for that, she was not elected. this was not in the manifesto.
The only way these critics will be silenced is if she goes to the country and asks them if they trust her to get us out of Europe(so far I do - she has brooked no interference from those who would thwart the will of the people, even though she said she was a 'remainer').
This is the only way it can be settled.
If by some chance Labour get into power we are all stuffed!

Less 26-04-2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1193193)
If by some chance Labour get into power we are all stuffed!

Only 95% of us will be stuffed, Blaire, Jonesy and the rest will continue their silver-spooned lives whilst blaming it all on the ill educated.

accyman 26-04-2017 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1193192)
Labour i'm sad to say have become nothing more than embarrassing.

they were only embarrassing a decade ago its much worse now

never did i think growing up i would see the most anti British party be the labour party

its a pity the monster raving looney party isnt still about as they would no be more credible than labour and probably represent British concerns better