Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Is it time to bring back national ID cards? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/is-it-time-to-bring-back-national-id-cards-69186.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 27-05-2017 21:25

Re: Is it time to bring back national ID cards?

I don't know the figures of how many additional ones there would be but instead of an ID card, would it be feasible for everyone over a certain age, maybe 16 to be issued with a driving licence?
Even if we are not forced to carry it, the PNC could ID anyone and if there is a problem IDing someone, they could offer an alternative ID to prove their identity.
People who live legally should have no fear of being identified.

shillelagh 27-05-2017 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1195057)
I don't know the figures of how many additional ones there would be but instead of an ID card, would it be feasible for everyone over a certain age, maybe 16 to be issued with a driving licence?
Even if we are not forced to carry it, the PNC could ID anyone and if there is a problem IDing someone, they could offer an alternative ID to prove their identity.
People who live legally should have no fear of being identified.

oh goody I could drive again!!! :p after having my driving licence revoked 12 years ago .. banned due to medical conditions .. I could cause havoc on the roads again .... :p:p:p

shillelagh 27-05-2017 23:47

what if you don't have a passport or a driving licence? what do you use then for id .. some places say it has to be a photo id ... what do you use?

Neil 28-05-2017 00:43

Maybe we wouldn't need a separate driving licence if you driving licence was a part of your ID card

accyman 28-05-2017 01:24

the flaw is that when the police say "papers" you can just say "scissors" and walk away as scissors beats paper ;)

accyman 28-05-2017 01:27

just stick a photo on the already existing national insurance card that is issued to every UK citizen when they are 16 and update the photo every 5 years free

unlike this farce of a photo driving license part what a con job that is

cashman 28-05-2017 07:35

Whilst i agree with I.D. Cards, its interesting now their back campaigning,the parties are saying they will get tough on terrorism, utter bullshine as far as i'm concerned This should have been done MANY years ago, also none of em are saying HOW they will get tough, Corbyn says more police security etc, that will do next to nothing to reduce, No party in my mind will REALLY get tough its complete BULL to persuade people to vote fer em.

Morecambe Ex Pat 28-05-2017 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1195060)
oh goody I could drive again!!! :p after having my driving licence revoked 12 years ago .. banned due to medical conditions .. I could cause havoc on the roads again .... :p:p:p

A driving licence already states what classes of vehicle the driver is entitled to drive so the classes field would be empty.

Margaret Pilkington 28-05-2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1195055)
There is no good reason to not have one. If you ever watch those police stop type TV programs you often see people giving false names and the police spending ages trying to find out who they really are.

I really can't understand why some people think they are a bad idea. I've no problem either with the police having the power to stop people for no reason at all except to check their ID.

I know I said I was done with this thread....and I posted a link to the last time we had this discussion, just to show that nothing much has changed within the discussion, but I have to have one more shot.

Neil, you may see no valid reason NOT to have one, while I see no valid reason to have one.
Do you really think that those who are stopped by the police would bother to carry ID...and if they were up to no good they might be carrying fake ID.
Other than chipping us all at birth(which might be the next proposal put forward) there is no sure way to identify those who are of criminal intent.

Don't you think it would be a lucrative market for criminals to set up a black market in fake IDs.
These would be easily available and could be used by illegal immigrant criminals, terrorists.
Those who really need to be indentified would not carry them, so the rest of the law abiding population would be carrying something because a percentage of the population are of criminal intent.

I have said in the past that I do not trust any government department to keep any biometric data safe. I am not being fingerprinted unless I am caught robbing a bank.

As for the police stopping people and asking for their ID cards...we would need a lot more police to be taking on that job...after all, they pass a law which says it is illegal to drive whilst using your phone. Every day I see people who are still doing this, despite penalties being increased.
Anyway, would the police be as PC about stopping women in Burkhas as they were about investigating the men in the paedophile ring in Rochdale , Rotherham and other such towns.

There is no point to having laws which are not policed, and for some communities these laws are flouted because they(the community) know the police are too lairy to get involved.

I will not be having one. But, if one of these bits of card makes you feel safer, then you can have one...it will not improve your security one jot and will add another level of control by government.

As I said there are plenty of ways I can prove my identity without one.

Now I am done!

RainbowSix 28-05-2017 20:01

Like the existing means of identification, they can be faked.
Also obtaining one will be done fraudulently as with other id.

I have 2 forms of photo ID in my driving license and passport so I don't need another card to carry.

Neil 28-05-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1195070)
I know I said I was done with this thread....Now I am done!

Are you really sure? You said that before :p

DaveinGermany 29-05-2017 08:19

ID card to carry a fingerprint & photo bearing a unique bar code/ID number, issued from one central office to British citizens only. Records only accessible by those requiring legal confirmation police/security/Dhss using either mobile scanners/terminals to confirm from the central register, not on the list, you ain't coming in or getting any treatment, benefits housing et al & if you don't scan detained/deported where applicable!

Forgeries should then theoretically be useless & easily identified for what they are & multiple claims & names should swiftly start to disappear saving us a fortune & removing illegals from the system.

Michael1954 29-05-2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1195136)
Are you really sure? You said that before :p

Ten bob says she comes back!

Less 29-05-2017 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1195191)
Ten bob says she comes back!

I'm not taking that bet!

It would be like saying a woman never speaks without thinking!
:hidewall:

DaveinGermany 06-05-2018 12:10

Just bringing this back out again because it appears our "Illustrious leaders" (Quit your sniggering at the back there! :D), have decided that after the limited trials at the recent local elections they're looking to roll out the ID at voting stations nationally. When isn't exactly clear, but it will be coming.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...inue-elections