Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Vimto (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/vimto-70634.html)

AccyMad 12-07-2019 19:17

Re: Vimto

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1229567)
I can believe that....and don't get me started on Walnut whips.
You can almost get a whole one in your mouth in one bite.

True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!

Margaret Pilkington 12-07-2019 21:33

Yes...it is a right swizz.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

monkey hanger 13-07-2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1229574)
True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!

might have done that to stop claims against the firm for anyone who has a nut allergy who has eaten one by mistake.

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2019 08:38

Why would you choose to eat a WALNUT whip if you had a nut allergy....the nut sits there on the top...and yes I know that there used to be one buried in the whipped filling inside.....but you would have to be seriously dumb(I mean -GOLD medal standard dumb) to consider eating one if you had a nut allergy.

No, monkey hanger...it is all down to screwing the consumer....getting as much as possible for the minimum quality.

I know that there are some the believe these manufacturers are doing their bit to battle the obesity crisis.....all it means is that instead of eating one bar of whatever(and feeling you had satisfied your desire for s treat) you might now eat TWO.

monkey hanger 13-07-2019 10:03

just trying to be a bit sarcastic on the no win no fee society with my post. do not get me on about the obesity crisis or laziness crisis as i call it. never been a big sweet eater or pop drinker but love my chips and pies. only half a stone heavier now than when i left school but i imagine i walk backwards more than most walk forwards nowadays .

Gareth 26-12-2019 15:39

So to the orginally posted question. I LOVE vimto, but I live in California where it is only available from importers. I have found my guy and pay about $6 a bottle - about 5 quid at current exchange rates. I get the "new" version. You can still buy the old one from importers from the middle east. Its much stickier and still in the glass bottle and the metal cap, but also a lot more expensive.

ferret man 26-12-2019 19:30

Iron brew or Lucozade don't taste the same as way back when

Margaret Pilkington 26-12-2019 20:11

Sprouts still taste the same...you can't mess with sprouts:D

Jimmy Clitheroe 26-12-2019 23:55

Would go more for Dandelion & Burdock meself - or the proper Sarsparilla from the stall in Blackburn market.
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.

Margaret Pilkington 27-12-2019 06:28

I think it might have more to do with removing the sugar and replacing it with nasty chemical sweeteners.

monkey hanger 30-12-2019 09:09

[QUOTE=Jimmy Clitheroe;1234899
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.[/QUOTE]

might be right there. water varies from area to area and thats why beer tastes different in some areas as well. had a dog once who would not drink tap water and had to buy bottles of it for him. used to drink polluted canal water though so it makes you think.

Margaret Pilkington 30-12-2019 09:37

I am not sure about the water angle...though yes tea and maybe Beer do taste different in different places.
I never had and problems with cordials or soft drinks until they started chuffing around with the recipes to allow for the reduction in sugar content....in my opinion, that is when the tastes changed.
I will not buy drinks that have chemical sweeteners in them.
I find it increasingly difficult to buy good quality cordials that have not been adulterated with these chemicals(I consider them to be poison and they do not reduce the risk of obesity one jot)
M&S in Blackburn stock NO fruit cordial that is not sugar free....the Preston Branch only have two varieties that are unadulterated.

monkey hanger 31-12-2019 09:10

so again you and others are forced to change your lifestyle because of others. where will all this rubbish, for want of a better word, end.

Margaret Pilkington 31-12-2019 09:21

Yes...I despise the nanny state.
I am still wearing trousers and jeans that I bought in 2000....so I can control my calorie consumption.
We have learned nothing.
Many years ago dairy produce was demonised and other ingredients were substituted for dairy...now they are saying that the healthy thing would have been to continue to eat such produce...but in moderation.

Some of the chemicals that are used to sweeten drinks are broken down into a formaldehyde like chemical....formaldehyde is what is used to embalm bodies...to preserve tissue.
It is also linked to cancers, but we think it is alright to give our children these drinks and foods?

It has been shown in studies that using sweeteners does not make much difference in weight control.

Exile on Spencer St 31-12-2019 09:33

Amusing article on the very topic...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/1...ideas-of-2019/