Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2005, 07:21   #1
God Member

A change of heart...

I have been aware of this phenomenon for a while now and thought it might be interesting to see what members think about it...

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/dailystar/63240.php
Old 28-02-2005, 07:32   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: A change of heart...

This has been reported before, & to me sounds a load of tosh. we get more genetic material from our parents than a trasplant patient does, do we have the same tastes as them? Also l think our tastes, [in food/music/sports,] constantly changes. Crying listening to a Sade track when he's not heard of her? When l first heard McFLY l cried.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 07:33   #3
Resident Waffler

It's weird but there are so many similar reports that there must be something in it although I'm not sure what the explanation is.

I know someone who recently underwent a heart operation and somehow looks different now. I can't explain what it is and it's nothing to do with looking healthier. It's obviously still the same person, but different. You know the way identical twins look exactly the same but if you are close to them you know which one is which? Something like that.

People used to believe that the emotions and intellect were located in the heart. Maybe there's more to that than we think.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 07:55   #4
Give, give, give member

lt is weired because it reportedly happens so much, but look @ amputees, they say they still have pain, & can feel their missing limb/s. lt must affect you pyscologically, no matter how much you wanted that transplant, your brain must go into overdrive.

Old 28-02-2005, 08:02   #5
Resident Waffler

But how do they develop traits they didn't even know about? They don't know the donors and yet develop some of their characteristics even down to a liking for sade who the recipient had never even heard of previously. Now that's weird!

Old 28-02-2005, 08:10   #6
I am Banned

when you come close to dying your outlook on life changes and your less reluctant to try new things infact you are more likely to try new things because you realise how little time you get

getting new body parts is highly unlikely to influence your habbits and activities

imagine been a naturaly lazy person and getting a leg transplant from an athelete you would have one leg moving slow and the athletic one dragging you down the street lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 08:12   #7
God Member

I can understand the continuing pain that amputees feel. That can be put down to the brain's image of the body. But the assumption of different characteristics following a heart transplant is odd. Does it happen with other transplanted organs? And what happens to recipients of pigs valves? Do they suddenly evince a desire to wallow?

It rather puts me in mind of Rowlandson's cartoons of the effects of Jenner's(?) experiments with vaccination for TB.
Old 28-02-2005, 09:41   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

In this text it does say that there is no evidence and that it happens only to a few. Many people after life saving operations do tend to develop a healthier lifestyle because they realise that they have had a near miss (with the exception of George Best of course) If this man cries when hearing Sade and had never heard of her before, who's to say he wouldn't have cried anyway. I think that being able to contact the donor's family is a very bad idea and although comforting to some, with others it may cause them to behave differently as they find out more about the donor. Amputees feel pain in their missing limbs because the brain still recognises the nerve pathways to those limbs.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 10:08   #9
Senior Member+

The report says this phenomenon happens to a small minority of patients.

Not having had an organ transplant (fortunately) I am not in a position to say what it feels like, whether any feelings/tastes have changed or anything else really.

It's just supposition on our part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
When l first heard McFLY l cried.
So did I - I can't believe some of the rubbish that's churned out these days!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 12:50   #10
Resident Waffler

Sympathise with me vorlon & garinda. My kids love McFly.

Old 28-02-2005, 16:27   #11
God Member

i'll tell you what. Should I end up unfortunatly donating my heart and bodily organs, I would'nt want them wasted on a non-smoking teetotaler.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 23:51   #12
Give, give, give member

McFly- the music is bad, they are to Busted , what Boyzone were to Take That, a rip off; but it's their hair that really spooks me. l hope your kids don't have the cd's & posters of the little Trolls!

Old 28-02-2005, 23:55   #13
Resident Waffler

I'm afraid they do.

Old 01-03-2005, 00:03   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
i'll tell you what. Should I end up unfortunatly donating my heart and bodily organs, I would'nt want them wasted on a non-smoking teetotaler.
LMAO THEN IF I ever need one tealeaf I will ask for yours lmbao

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:48   #15
Resident Waffler

Aaaw Tealeaf has a heart.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..