Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 07:23   #1
God Member

A Cultural Moment

Being a bit slow on the uptake, as I can be, I have only just discovered the delights of Youtube. One of the things I have discovered is this wonderful little snippet....

Which I include for your delectation and delight and also to see if the link works. What you should be able to see is the overture (toccata and ritornella) of Monteverdi's "L'Orfeo". This is one of the earliest examples of of that absolute pinnacle of western artistic acheivement; the opera. In which all branches of the arts are combined to produce an harmonious whole that is considerably more than the mere sum of its parts.

I don't know what other members will think of it it but, I think it is quite mad! The guy with the beard and the drum has to be a star in his own right!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:24   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: A Cultural Moment

I once saw Dame Joan Sutherland perform at Covent Garden, or was it the Royal Vauxhall Tavern? She was outrageous.

I used to go to the opera quite a lot, mainly to the London Coliseum because I had a friend who worked there and got me free tickets. It's a shame it's seen as elitist, because anyone who likes theatre would certainly enjoy the spectacle.

Last edited by garinda; 10-06-2007 at 08:29.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:05   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had a listen, not really my bag, but its nice to see, there aint just plebs use utube, whoever put that on certainly dont car-surf, or bite chickens heads off,is my best guess.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52   #4
God Member

I am with G it shouldnt be seen as elitist to go to Opera or for that matter a high profile West End Show. Nor should a gig by a rock or pop band should be classed as a lower class passtime. I should imagine that tickets to the Opera West End Show or a big concert for a famous band would like for like be close price wise. Not as though we would want to be up in the whatever its called above the main crowd. All good music, plays or shows should be appreciated by all not just a select few.

Mind you reading the responses and comments there are a few die hard purists around that wont embrase change. Its that attitude that helps keep it in its "elitist" area.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12   #5

i dont think the opera is seen as that much elitest more dowager terrortiry. i must admit ive been to a couple of operas very opulent setting and i really enjoyed it.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:16   #6
Senior Member+

I read in the paper a few years ago that a bloke living in London got the Tube to a venue, tickets for the opera, a drink at the interval and a programme, for less that it would cost to watch Arsenal on a Saturday afternoon.

Cultural capital is a very powerful entity, but there are signs of it changing. Perhaps now the old school tie lot show their Chelsea season tickets to one another, rather than their ticket for Don Giovani?
Old 10-06-2007, 14:23   #7
Resident Waffler

Who was conducting whilst the conductor was making his flamboyant entrance?

Love the guy with the beard and drum. He looks like a mad professor.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 14:29   #8
Beacon of light

It gave me goose bumps.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 17:09   #9
Give, give, give member

It's still cheaper to go to the opera than to a Barbra Streisand concert, with tickets from the box office selling at five hundred pounds each, for her current tour

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 19:12   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's still cheaper to go to the opera than to a Barbra Streisand concert, with tickets from the box office selling at five hundred pounds each, for her current tour
Wasn't her concert in Rome cancelled? For a 'non-ticket price related' reason of course

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 10-06-2007 at 19:16.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 22:01   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Wasn't her concert in Rome cancelled? For a 'non-ticket price related' reason of course

Yeah the banks wouldnt give loans for people to see her concert.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..