Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2007, 12:05   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry A Fisherman’s Tale.

It has been reported on the news this morning that the British angler is complaining because the European migrants over here are fishing in our rivers and canals and “SHOCK HORROR” killing the catch (mainly Carp) and taking it home to cook and eat and not throwing the injured fish back.

GOOD!

At least the poor fish gets dispatched quickly instead of being thrown back with a gash in its mouth for some other angler to catch later on.

Providing the angler has a license to fish and permission from the owner of the stretch of river/canal then I see nothing wrong in that. As far as I know there is nothing on the license to say that any fish caught has to be put back. Or in other words, having caught the fish it is perfectly legal to kill it and take it home for supper or whatever.

My stand on the fishing topic is simply this.

Anglers call it a sport. Never in a million years. It is a pastime and a cruel one at that. A fish is caught by a barbed hook into its mouth or gills. The hook is ripped out leaving the fish with a gaping gash and it is put back in the water. An injured fish can become prey to other fish and also a potential victim of a fishy disease and possibly a slow lingering death. That’s the cruel bit and angling for pleasure should be banned forthwith.
Old 30-07-2007, 12:24   #2

Re: A Fisherman’s Tale.

Did you know that most of the commercial fisheries have now introuced a
barbless hook only rule?

And as for these eastern europeans...they are pillaging our waters of very young fish(smaller than sprats and more like white bait), taking them by the dozen. This sort of behavior is having a detrimental efect on the entire stock and overall ecosystem of effected waters.

Furthermore, these 'easterns' are mostly fishing on private waters and canals without liscenses or permits.
Whilst out in the republic of ireland last summer the locals spoke with utter contempt about the 'easterns', accusing them of ruining entire stretches of rivers and lochs, the knock on effect beind reduced fishing tourism from the British, french and dutch.

I wonder if we will start seeing any 'eastern's' names before the bench for fishing without a license?
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 12:32   #3
Senior Member+

i cant honestly say ive seen
any names before the bench for fishing
without a license

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 12:38   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: A Fisherman’s Tale.

“Commercial fisheries” implies that the fish are caught for consumption and I have no problem with catching fish for food. Even so a barbless hook still punctures the fish’s skin leaving it open to disease although being commercial fishing that point is not relevant because the fish are killed.

This issue rests on two points. Legal and illegal fishing.

If it is illegal fishing by anyone not just eastern Europeans then the full force of the law should be brought to bear.

If it is legal fishing then the British angler has no grounds for complaint. And certainly not to complain that they have fewer fish to catch.
Old 30-07-2007, 13:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
“Commercial fisheries” implies that the fish are caught for consumption and I have no problem with catching fish for food.

If it is legal fishing then the British angler has no grounds for complaint. And certainly not to complain that they have fewer fish to catch.
Commercial fisheries are usually complexes of man-made lakes and lodges, when Carp is mentioned we tend to think of course fishing which is also known as catch-and-release.

The amount of commercial fisheries(course that is) that have been constructed over the last decade is breathtaking, they have sprung up all over the place and are the main reason for many club members not re-newing club memberships.

I am a member of Hyndburn&B.Burn who have many well kept waters which are both strictly baliffed and have regular water quality checks to keep 'on top' of any diseases which I can say, havn't heard of for many years.

Last edited by spud; 30-07-2007 at 13:14.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 18:12   #6
Senior Member+

I'm all for catching and killing your own food. We've become so far removed from the food we eat, that the product has little to do with the animal of origin.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..