Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2004, 00:32   #1
Senior Member+

a good builder req...

right folks

i'm lookin for a good builder to do some work for me

there's a shop premises needin some plastering etc and the floor beams need replacing a few walls need takin out etc so its a pretty big job - not the easiest of stuff

anyone had any good experiences so far???

i've had one quote of around £8K which is wayyyyy too too much...

many thanks
Old 22-11-2004, 18:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: a good builder req...

no one know any good builders???
Old 24-11-2004, 17:30   #3
I am Banned

nope sorry
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 03:01   #4
Senior Member+

*L*

hehehe thanks
Old 25-11-2004, 08:16   #5
Resident Waffler

I'm afraid I don't either. I got someone to give me a price for a job over 12 months ago and haven't seen him since.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 09:46   #6
Senior Member+

I know a good asphalter if ya need one.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 10:42   #7
Senior Member+

I know a good builder, but I don't think he'll travel to where you need the work done.

He replaced my window in my roof for a Velux one and did a good job.

The thing is, 'good' and 'cheap' do not normally appear in the same sentence where builders are concerned.

One tip though - if you call a builder and he can either come round immediately or start the job immediately, warning bells should sound. If he's any good, he'll have too many jobs booked in to be able to fit you in immediately, especially with the work you need doing.

I had to wait a couple of weeks before mine could come round and give me a quote, and a good couple of months before he could do the work. The fortunate thing was that he had been referred, so I knew he was good - the people who referred him were his accountants!!!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 10:45   #8
Senior Member+

That's just given me an idea - if you know of a respected accountant, ask them if they know of a good builder.

Chances are that they'll have a few on their books. That sort of information may be covered under the data protection act, but some accountants have a list of the companies that are registered with them, and that sort of information is in the public domain.

Just a thought
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..