Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2007, 12:19   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: A peculiar prank

Although about 10 years ago now, my daughter was harassed by one of these callers, after a few she reported it .. BT set up some sort of system whereby when he came on the phone she had to press one of the numbers, this set up an immediate trace. They caught him .. was someone who she didn't know way over in Yorkshire .. just obviously put a pin in the telephone directory. Was fined with a suspended .. sorry, can't remember all the details, but sure 10 years on technology is better for tracking calls. Think Margaret correct about at least two.

I found best just to put the phone down. I now have a large caller display and never answer Witheld, No number, International, 08 no's, ones in areas I do not recognise, particularly if they appear to be an easy no. to remember. Mainly, so I am not bothered by sales calls. Anybody, who seriously wishes to speak to me will begin to leave a message on the answering machine, and then I will pick it up. Most phones now have a caller display included, problem is can't see the blooming thing without me glasses ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2007, 08:18   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i blow a whistle down the phone if i get a prank call or just leave it on the side and let em pay for a long call!, but knowing your name is scary, are you in the phone book?
Old 28-08-2007, 08:38   #18
God Member

If anyone wanted to get hold of me it wouldn't be difficult. My phone number is fairly public.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 12:30   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
If anyone wanted to get hold of me it wouldn't be difficult. My phone number is fairly public.
Phone Perverts Reign Of Terror (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Look at this Gayle. I wonder if this is the fella who rang you

It says in the article in the link I've posted that he targeted people at random either out of the phone book or having read articles on them in the paper. He was arrested in a phone box on Tuesday!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 13:23   #20
God Member

I suppose that's highly possible. Someone else I know had a very disturbing crank call (far more alarming than mine) a few months ago just after their picture appeared in the paper and it's highly possible that whoever it was got my name and number from the paper too!

Interesting.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 00:02   #21
Resident Waffler

We had one years ago who rang us in the middle of the night and would say very worrying things about being able to see us and make threats about doing things to the house. When we reported it to BT they just suggested us changing our phone number.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 00:12   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
We had one years ago who rang us in the middle of the night and would say very worrying things about being able to see us and make threats about doing things to the house. When we reported it to BT they just suggested us changing our phone number.
My sister was getting them some years ago even though she was ex-directory, BT told her should would have to pay £30 for a new number. She argued the point that as she was not listed her number should not be available and they changed it free of charge. No problems since
Old 02-09-2007, 19:33   #23
Clearly Classy.......

I received theses calls from this pervert,I had a few, it knocked me sideways the things he said were unbelievable, I was reduced to running from my house with my children screaming, crying and shaking, to my neighbour. If anyone knows of anyone else who recieved calls like this please contact the local police 51212 so that the case against him can be made a strong as possible.

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 21:18   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps View Post
I received theses calls from this pervert,I had a few, it knocked me sideways the things he said were unbelievable, I was reduced to running from my house with my children screaming, crying and shaking, to my neighbour. If anyone knows of anyone else who recieved calls like this please contact the local police 51212 so that the case against him can be made a strong as possible.

That sounds really horrendous, to think that perverts like that get off on terrorising women and especially where children are involved as yours were. They want to lock him up for a long time, it makes me wonder how he would feel if someone did the same to his family. Hope you are able to get over it (though I don't know how you do that) best wishes to you and your children.
Old 02-09-2007, 21:36   #25
God Member

Thank God they've caught the dirty beggar! Terrorising people like that, I wonder what his wife had to say when she found out.
Old 02-09-2007, 21:41   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Thank God they've caught the dirty beggar! Terrorising people like that, I wonder what his wife had to say when she found out.
Maybe she will stick by him like the one in the thread posted on the twenty third of August, his wife and church are sticking by him. Sick or what?
Old 02-09-2007, 21:50   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Maybe she will stick by him like the one in the thread posted on the twenty third of August, his wife and church are sticking by him. Sick or what?
Which one was that, Bernadette?
Old 02-09-2007, 22:07   #28
God Member

Quote:
Which one was that, Bernadette?
It is on page three GC, Sex Offender Walks Free, it is beyond belief!
Old 02-09-2007, 22:15   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It is on page three GC, Sex Offender Walks Free, it is beyond belief!
I've just had a look. That's terrible. I just can't understand women who stand by their men when they've done something like that.
Old 02-09-2007, 22:18   #30
God Member

Quote:
I've just had a look. That's terrible. I just can't understand women who stand by their men when they've done something like that.
No neither can I. When you read that it makes your blood boil and it seems highly unlikely that this pervert who has been making the obscene calls will go to prison!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..