Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2006, 12:56   #1
Beacon of light

A tax on lightbulbs.

It was reported in the press recently that Gordon Brown is considering a tax on light bulbs. Apparently he wants to put up the price of ordinary light bulbs to nearer that of the low energy type bulbs. he says that this is to encourage people to use the low energy ones in a bid to combat global warming, and to reduce th amount of energy that people use.

I think it would be more credible if the government were to subsidise the price of low energy light bulbs if they really want people to cut down on the consumption of energy.
I maybe a cynical old bird, but is there anyone else out there who feels that the chancellor is having another dip into my purse?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2006, 13:04   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: A tax on lightbulbs.

Now now MP what are you thinking about, Gov to give US, the people that vote them in, some chance to save money!!!!!

Sorry was being a bit cheeky but no way will any gov give us that cheaper option when they can see a way of taking more off the people.

Best bet just turn off lights and then see what happens to bill LOL

If they worried about the greenhouse effect then what about turning off some of the street lights on motorways trunk roads and the big lights on buildings at night that would cut down on the use of power.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 13:15   #3
Beacon of light

I think that is what I was getting at Bernard.......if there is an option where the Govt can fleece us of some more cash, then that appears to be the option that is taken.
It might have something to do with energy consumption, but don't the government realise that with the great hike in bills that we have seen recently, that most of us are doing our level best to use less energy.
Old 17-07-2006, 13:25   #4
Resting in Peace

Yes Margret I fully agree with you on this topic but no matter what the gov says it is up to us to save power so that our bills are lower.

It's just shame that the gov don't do anything to help out people when the bills get to big more so during wintertime and the power companies are threating to take court action to make you pay and then add extra costs to bill.

Folks on limited income can really struggle at these times and get worried when the nasty letters and phone calls come in.

Think that if the gov put a cap on what can be charged and be there to help out by getting the extras taken off AND making it much harder for them to start court action/cut power then these people maybe then able to make some payments during the summertime to offset winter bills or play at catch up depending on their situation.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 13:29   #5
Beacon of light

I don't think it has anything to do with global warming....or getting us to reduce our consumption of energy....I just think it is an excuse to take more ££££££s off the electorate....cynical.I know!
Old 17-07-2006, 13:46   #6
God Member

two energy saving light bulbs cost me 2 quid on bogof, and they last about two years when on 24/7 like this one is.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 22:11   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: A tax on lightbulbs.

There is already a tax on light bulbs – its called VAT.

I wonder if anyone has done an energy study on these low energy light bulbs? The cost of energy to make one that is. Plus the extra materials. It has to be more than a simple ordinary bulb. So my question is do they really save on electrical energy overall?

Some time back, being a pensioner, I received two free 60 watts low energy bulbs from some organisation or other with a coupon to send for two more.

I don’t know about anyone else but I have a small lamp on top of my telly to soften the glare from the screen when I’m watching so I put one of these low energy bulbs in the lamp when the normal 60 watts bulb gave up the ghost. Even if I’m not watching telly I still have it on from dusk onwards.

These new fangled bulbs are supposed to give off the same amount of light that a normal bulb does but it uses less electricity. I did say supposed to but they don’t.

How do I know?

Well it’s like this. I have a solar powered calculator that works quite well with the only light source being my telly lamp. Ignore the computer screen because that is always behind the calculator when I use it. Yet with the new bulb in place it wouldn’t work because there wasn’t enough light. I had to move the calculator a couple of feet closer to the light to get it to work. Ergo the new bulbs do not give off the same amount of light as a normal bulb of the same wattage. It may use less electricity but part of the reason has to be that it doesn’t give off the same amount of light. Are we being conned – again?

If this government really wants to cut electrical consumption there is no better place to start than the electrified railways. Use Diesel locomotives using bio fuel to pull the carriages instead. Underground and the Channel Tunnel trains would have to be exempt. Now that would save on electricity.

I am now going to help with the country’s energy needs by switching off my computer, the wireless and the telly lamp and go to bed. ‘night all!
Old 17-07-2006, 22:45   #8
God Member

They use 4 times as much energy to make.
The calculator doesn't work because it's a different sort of light, different wavelength. They give of more light, last longer and on average a low energy lamp will save you 131 pounds on your electricity bill over it's life. it will therefore reduce carbon emissions and green house gasses.
You can get low energy light bulbs for two quid, and two for two quid if morrisons has them on bogof.
Changing railway engines to use bio fuels would be megga expensive and as there isn't that many of them, wouldn't save as much as everyone changing to cfl's
What I do think though is that instead of a tax on normal bulbs, they should reduce or even zero rate cfl's.
Old 17-07-2006, 23:13   #9
Give, give, give member

I do wish Marg P. and my Mum wouldn't read the same paper.

I had her bending my ear about this tonight as well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 23:40   #10
God Member

its all over the internet forums rindy. It was on the other one down here a week ago. Seems to have stired up a right hornets nest, but the fact is people like the warming glow of a normal light bulb, a flourescent makes them look ill.
Old 18-07-2006, 06:53   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
two energy saving light bulbs cost me 2 quid on bogof, and they last about two years when on 24/7 like this one is.
I would question where a light is that needs to be on 24/7.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 08:03   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Compact fluorescents are ok but they have drawbacks. You can't dim them. They look naff in many light fittings, if they will fit that is. They are not very good as outside light when it is very cold, they seem to struggle to warm up and give out they usual light level. The are not enviromentally friendly, they have to be treated as special waste and recycled correctly due to the fluorescent powder that coats the glass. I think they still contain a little mercury as well. Talking about recyling them, you can just through them in the bin but Whinny hill tip are "still waiting for the recycling container" when I asked.
Old 18-07-2006, 08:10   #13
Resting in Peace

I have 3 boxes of the energy saving light bulbs all sizes i get them free if you have had any work done by Hyndburn homes then they send them you every now and again
so i will be starting a market stall soon
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 11:30   #14
Beacon of light

We have some wall lights that will not take these light bulbs......I have a couple of the low energy lights in lamps around the place and the light does not seem as bright....much more muted.

I am forever going round turnoing off lights, but I can't get the ol feller to turnoff the TV at the switch....he always leaves it on 'Standby'....a real waste of energy if ever there was one.
Old 18-07-2006, 11:33   #15
Beacon of light

Oh, yes and maybe I should have made it clearer........I know that there is a tax on light bulbs......it will be an extra tax or a rise in the VAT.

And sorry Rindy.......I just find lots of reading in that paper...and puzzles....and health stuff.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..