Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2008, 20:05   #46
God Member

Re: Abortion limit....Rejected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i know its not the same but i had a friend that had an abortion around the same time i lost my first baby and even asked me to go with her... we dont talk any more!
Hmmmmm I know how that feels too. One of my family members had got herself pregnant by a married man while on holiday abroad!!! Lets just say, the baby was never born and that happened the same time I had my miscarriage!!! Life is so cruel sometimes.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2008, 20:11   #47
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;579843]You always get one or two like that, but to be honest they were in the minority.

And although Parliament has thrown out the bill to bring down the time limit for Termination of pregnancy, many consultants operate their own time limit which is well below 24 weeks.
QUOTE]

True Margaret, and not so easy to get at 24 weeks .. have to go through a difficult process of two doctors approval, etc., not exactly given on demand.

Slinky . .. my daughter also worked on a ward like this.. probably yours Margaret, and she did not approve of the fact that there were cases of requested and natural abortions next to each other, particularly as some young girls appeared to be using it as a contraception. I do not quite believe this .. think they were just ill-educated ... or just bravado to hide a frightened spirit.

As Margaret has said, these women are in the minority and not fair to bring this into the discussion as lots of requested abortions are necessary and for the best for all concerned.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 20:23   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I feel for your sister-in-law, because I know how I felt. Then to make matters worse, after my D&C, they made me stay over night because I didn't get taken down til 6pm All I wanted to do was get away from that ward and go home to my family and Ginger, just to go home to where people really cared how I was feeling and not just going through the motions.
The best thing would be to have seperate wards, I know it isn't always possible but would be a better way
Old 21-05-2008, 20:26   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

As Margaret has said, these women are in the minority and not fair to bring this into the discussion as lots of requested abortions are necessary and for the best for all concerned.
Oh sorry didn't realise I had gone off topic........ Oh wait I haven't Still on topic of abortions.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 21-05-2008, 20:37   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh sorry didn't realise I had gone off topic........ Oh wait I haven't Still on topic of abortions.
Well, you did a little Slinky .. tended to paint all girls who had abortions with the same brush.

The thread is not really about requested abortions in general, just about whether it should be reduced to the length of weeks legally allowed.

Your point is taken on board, and feel for what you experienced, 'cause as I said ... had to listen to daughter being upset by the situation of where patients are placed in a ward. Maybe the situation has changed now ?
Old 21-05-2008, 20:40   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, you did a little Slinky .. tended to paint all girls who had abortions with the same brush.

?
Well I was giving my point of view and personal experience from another angle

Miracles do happen!!

Old 21-05-2008, 20:45   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well I was giving my point of view and personal experience from another angle
I know sweetheart, and must have been very distressing after losing a child that was wanted ... x
Old 21-05-2008, 20:47   #53
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The best thing would be to have seperate wards, I know it isn't always possible but would be a better way

The thing about having separate wards would do a disservice to those who needed to have their pregnancy terminated for justifiable grounds, as they would not be able to keep this fact private.
It would soon become common knowledge that it was a ward purely for abortions.....and can you imagine having to work on that ward all the time?

Termination of pregnancy is never easy. It is very emotive and we can all say what we would do, but none of us truly know until we are put into a situation that we have not foreseen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 20:52   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The thing about having separate wards would do a disservice to those who needed to have their pregnancy terminated for justifiable grounds, as they would not be able to keep this fact private.
It would soon become common knowledge that it was a ward purely for abortions.....and can you imagine having to work on that ward all the time?

Termination of pregnancy is never easy. It is very emotive and we can all say what we would do, but none of us truly know until we are put into a situation that we have not foreseen.
Yes I didn't put my brain into gear before posting, I can see that it would soon be quite obvious that the ward just dealt in abortions.
Old 21-05-2008, 20:55   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes I understand that Margaret. To be honest, hadn't really thought about it that way. I feel sorry for those people that HAVE to have a abortion due to medical reasons of mother or baby, that is very sad. What I disagree with is someone getting pregnant BY ACCIDENT, then using it as contraception. Yes I agree that in this day and age there shouldn't be any need for BACK STREET ABORTIONS. But then again, in this day and age, there really shouldn't be un planned pregnancies. Condoms, pill, morning after pill, coil jeeeez I could go on. But hey, these things happen. But no, I do not agree with a termination being carried out at 20+ weeks, and I pitty the poor doctors and nurses that have to deal with it too.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 21-05-2008, 20:58   #56
Beacon of light

It's Ok Bernie...when I was Ward Sister this was often put to me, and most women understood the reasons why it wasn't really possible to do this.
Nowadays many of the terminations of pregnancy are done medically and mean just a very brief hospital stay of only a few hours.
All terminations are a tragedy for the woman concerned and often her family too.
I really do believe that terminating a pregnancy swops one problem for a series of other problems....and after 25 years working in Womens health I think i have enough experience to judge.
Old 21-05-2008, 20:59   #57
Senior Member+

when do you have your first scan now? i had mine aroound 16 wks i think... (7 years ago now lol)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 21:02   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
when do you have your first scan now? i had mine aroound 16 wks i think... (7 years ago now lol)
I had a mini scan around 12 weeks with both of my boys at Accy vic. Then 18 weeks, 22 weeks and if my mind serves correct, 32 weeks was the final one.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 21-05-2008, 21:04   #59
Beacon of light

Quote:
Yes I understand that Margaret. To be honest, hadn't really thought about it that way. I feel sorry for those people that HAVE to have a abortion due to medical reasons of mother or baby, that is very sad. What I disagree with is someone getting pregnant BY ACCIDENT, then using it as contraception. Yes I agree that in this day and age there shouldn't be any need for BACK STREET ABORTIONS. But then again, in this day and age, there really shouldn't be un planned pregnancies. Condoms, pill, morning after pill, coil jeeeez I could go on. But hey, these things happen. But no, I do not agree with a termination being carried out at 20+ weeks, and I pitty the poor doctors and nurses that have to deal with it too.
I agree entirely. I have delivered enough contraceptive lectures to young girls who said they didn't know about sex education....I didn't believe them when they told me that the condom broke......and some of them i have told them that i didn't believe they used contraception.....but unplanned pregnancy is like a road accident...you never think it will happen to YOU.
As I have said in an earlier post....the consultants usually police their own practice with limits much lower than the legal one of 24 weeks.

It isn't a perfect world and there will always be the sad fact that some women will get pregnant and be unable to cope......I certainly would not like to see women resorting to using a knitting needle to try to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy....and dying themselves as a result.
Old 21-05-2008, 21:05   #60
Senior Member+

i only had one scan and i know ty was already kicking when i had it.
if the abortion is because of severe disability then obviously it cant be done until after the scan.
does it depend on the hospital how many scans and at how many weeks?.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..