Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2005, 13:00   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Carnival

What about this headline "Plug could be pulled on Accrington Carnival"

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/..._id=11962.html

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2005, 14:14   #2

Re: Accrington Carnival

I didnt know accrington had a carnival
Old 22-01-2005, 14:28   #3
God Member

Carnival is a truncation of the latin word carnelevarium and refers to the period before Lent in the church calendar when it was the custom to consume all the perishable stocks of food that were not allowed during the period of general fasting. A hangover from our medieval past.

How oddly typical it is that Accrington should decide to hold its Carnival in June.
Old 22-01-2005, 15:15   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Carnival is a truncation of the latin word carnelevarium and refers to the period before Lent in the church calendar when it was the custom to consume all the perishable stocks of food that were not allowed during the period of general fasting. A hangover from our medieval past.

How oddly typical it is that Accrington should decide to hold its Carnival in June.
My word A-B you're a fountain of knowledge

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 21:39   #5
Accy Goddess

Perhaps we could get an Accyweb petition going.
Save our Carnival.
A lot of hard work goes into the carnival behind the curtains.
On the day it brings smiles to a lot of peoples faces.
It really is a fun day out for everyone.
Old and young alike.
There's a raffle full of brill prizes and it raises a lot of cash for various charities in the area.
There must be someone out there with funds to spare.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 12:52   #6

Does anyone know where the carnival starts and finishes?? I know the stall etc are at peel park, but thats about it...

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 12:56   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The Accrington Carnival is due to be held on Saturday June 18 2005. The theme for floats in the procession this year is "West End Musicals". Floats are being asked to assemble at the Globe Centre Car Park, off Scaitcliffe Street from 8am. Walking participants will assemble on the 'NHS East Lancashire Public Health' car park on the corner of Eagle Street & Paradise Street. The judging will take place from 9.45am.

Starting off at 10.45am the procession will travel down Eagle Street to Blackburn Road. It will head along Blackburn Road, past the Town Hall and up Little Blackburn Road as far as the traffic lights before turning left into Abbey Street, past the Post Office. The procession then goes along Whalley Road to the traffic lights at the junction of Queens Road where it turns right along Queens Road to the junction with Thorneyholme Road. Finally, floats turn into Thorneyholme Road for dispersal.

starts at 9.30am ends 5.30pm
Old 17-06-2005, 12:57   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

whens oswaldtwistle carnival????
Old 17-06-2005, 13:09   #9
Resting in Peace

If your thinking of going to the Peel Park School playing field after the procession then wellies are going to be needed , its going to be very muddy there.

Last edited by Mick; 17-06-2005 at 13:13.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 13:10   #10
Resident Waffler

I know it could probably be classed as an unnecessary drain on HBC funds but I'd be sorry to see the Carnival lost forever. It's something people look forward to and some of the floats are very well done. My girls and I were in it last time, walking and it was sooooooooooo hot we were exhausted by the time we'd been rushed up Whalley Road to catch up with everyone at the Queens Road junction because we'd been held back at Eastgate by traffic. I felt sorry for the young lads with the big drums.

This year we are just looking forward to being spectators.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 13:54   #11
I am Banned

i think the story should have read

HBC turned down funding because they had already had their own carnival on broadway
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 16:41   #12

We have so few traditions left it really would be sad to see it go. Just think how much was wasted on the Mayor making ceromony for the enjoyment of a few & how much HBC could have given for the benefit of many. Unfortunately (in this case) charity began & stopped with HBC as IMO many more charities would benefit from the carnival funds than they will from the Mayoral one.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 21:03   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I first remember going to watch Accrington Carnival in about 1947 or 48. I got a bag of Rishy Crisps, thrown from a lorry!

We have a May Queen carnival in our village. It's always held in June! When I first came to live here, 30 years ago, the parade was massive and we had about 10 bands. This year we only had 4 floats and 2 bands. Part of the problem is that the police, who used to give their services free, now demand £3000 a time and the insurance has quadrupled. It's the same story everywhere in the country - cost.

We shouldn't let these old traditions die. Good luck with the Accy one.
Old 17-06-2005, 21:08   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
whens oswaldtwistle carnival????
16th of July if I remeber right, I know its this year which is strange as it used to be alternate, accy one year Ossy the next, don't know what happened to that

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 23:12   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would be sorry to see the end of the carnival,used to love it as a kid,and theres not too much for kids in hyndburn nowadays,although if they still have a carnival queen i'm sure it used to be fixed,as a girl i knew won it one year have a face like a basket of whelks lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..