Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2006, 19:54   #16
God Member

Re: Accrington in the news.

I think they're an army base aren't they - some sort of satelite communication devices?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2006, 20:01   #17
God Member

Early warning radar cortesy of the cold war. Very high powered think of them as giant microwave cookers.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 21:33   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

The "golf balls" at Fylingdales aren't there any more. My husband worked there 1966 to 1971 and then they dominated the skyline. Now there's just a funny shaped building but - no balls!
Old 16-04-2006, 22:16   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Big article in today's (Sunday's) Observer.
There was also a double page spread in the Mail On Sunday.
Old 17-04-2006, 01:20   #20
Give, give, give member

Oh dear Wynonie.

The Mail on Sunday? You little Labour baiter.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 02:09   #21

Well well well. It's certainly good news, and it's about time they got back in. I was just joking the other day to my wife about Accy Stanley telling her that they haven't a hope in hell of ever making it again. Then suddenly this good news. WoW. It's more than forty years since I saw them play. Hopefully they will do well.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 06:45   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Oh dear Wynonie.

The Mail on Sunday? You little Labour baiter.
Not my usual Sunday read, I hasten to add! I bought it because I had advance knowledge from Mr Henry Morton that it was going to appear.

I'm usually a Sunday Sport man myself.
Old 17-04-2006, 08:11   #23
Super Moderator

Not one, but two articles on Stanley in today's edition of that fine, upstanding liberal journal, the Daily Telegraph!
Old 17-04-2006, 09:17   #24
God Member

Now thats what I call "now thats what I call fame speaking for its self" when there are 2 articles on our beloved little team.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-04-2006, 11:08   #25
God Member

There's article in Daily Mirror today along with a pic of hobby's head saying "best fan in World" for having his head tattoo'd with stanley crest

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 11:26   #26
I am Banned

I think its been in all media so far, its a great peace of footballing history as i missed it 1st time round [im a younster - just] its great to see the mighty stanley back in the football league......fantastic!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 11:31   #27
I am Banned

Do you know what would be great [soppy sentimental bit coming] if the trophy could make its way to the Peel Park ground [via procession or whatever] as thats where most of the great past stanley history was centred, it would be a fitting tribute to the stanley boys of the past whilst celebrate stanleys future be spiritually uplifting
Old 17-04-2006, 11:35   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Do you know what would be great [soppy sentimental bit coming] if the trophy could make its way to the Peel Park ground [via procession or whatever] as thats where most of the great past stanley history was centred, it would be a fitting tribute to the stanley boys of the past whilst celebrate stanleys future be spiritually uplifting
Agree with that sentiment.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-04-2006, 11:44   #29
I am Banned

If we dig up the trees & mud at far end towards Peel Park Avenue way the stands are still there & there were reminants of the clubhouse & changing rooms [whether still there now protected area] but i swear there is still something about the place.

I just think it would be a the best tribute - shame Peel Park pub of old isnt still about as they had pictures of the stanley team playing on that ground on the walls, i used to love looking at them & wondered what its was like then - wonder where they are now i bet worth a fortune not only in monetry but sentimental value too.
Old 17-04-2006, 16:22   #30

Wow, many congratulations Accrington Stanley FC on your return to the football league. I hope that the team never has to 'bow out' again. Maybe in a few years we will see all the Lancashire teams in the Premier League. It would be good to see Blackpool, Burnley and Accrington up there with Blackburn, Wigan, Oldham, City, United, Everton and Liverpool.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 17-04-2006 at 16:27.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..