Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 00:34   #16
God Member

Re: Accyweb's Help With Lost Item!

I dont know about you lot, but im sat here freezing to death
Old 07-01-2007, 18:17   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I dont know about you lot, but im sat here freezing to death
ok who told cyfer the fridge was his new bedroom
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45   #18
Resident Waffler

I've been very warm this winter so far and our geraniums (or are they pelagoniums?) are confused too. They are still out and budding again. They'll probably end up getting left out and catching a frost.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:17   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Accyweb's Help With Lost Item!

I wouldn’t rejoice too soon about mild winters because it was only the other day that a news report stated that a county sized chunk of the north pole became detached and was floating southwards. Apart from the danger to shipping there is the small point of all that mainly fresh water ice and snow melting into the North Atlantic and pushing the Gulf Stream into the depths long before it does so now.

A few more of those and the Gulf Stream, the one that keeps these islands ten degrees warmer than the latitude indicates, will also get pushed south, leaving us at the mercy of our true latitude. Winters will come with a vengeance to the UK apart from the far South West.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:03   #20
Resting in peace

Yes jambutty I agree it will be an allmighty disaster, there was recently a program on Prince Edward Island, on television recently that was very enlightening, correct me if i'm wrong, this is on a similar latitude to ourselves but without the benefit of the Gulf Stream, the winters there are of a truly 'Arctic' nature.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:10   #21
God Member

Well looking at the Met office! Our snow is yet to come! and apparently we are to get a belting from 16th onwards

If you believe the Met.office that is

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:44   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I wouldn’t rejoice too soon about mild winters because it was only the other day that a news report stated that a county sized chunk of the north pole became detached and was floating southwards. Apart from the danger to shipping there is the small point of all that mainly fresh water ice and snow melting into the North Atlantic and pushing the Gulf Stream into the depths long before it does so now.

A few more of those and the Gulf Stream, the one that keeps these islands ten degrees warmer than the latitude indicates, will also get pushed south, leaving us at the mercy of our true latitude. Winters will come with a vengeance to the UK apart from the far South West.
Hey Jambutt , is Jeremiah is your middle name ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Prince Edward Island is in the southern hemisphere in the Indian Ocean at 45 degrees 30 minutes south and 38 degrees 00 minutes east Ianto.W. Putting it about 1,000 miles south east of Capetown so it can’t really be compared to northern latitudes.

The British Isles sit between about 50 degrees north and 61 degrees north the same as Labrador and Newfoundland in Canada (the southern tip of Greenland is at 60 degrees) who do not have the benefit of the Gulf Stream. Their winter temperatures go down to about 16 degrees Fahrenheit. Let’s see – that’s 16 minus 32 multiplied by 5 and dived by 9 equals about –9 degrees C. Low enough for brass monkeys to emigrate south.

The whole Newfoundland coast and the St Lawrence River freeze over during their winter to maybe half a mile off shore.

The northern half of the British Isles is at the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Germany and Poland, which are on a par with the southern half of our islands. Yet look at their winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Hey Jambutt , is Jeremiah is your middle name ?
No! Why?

I don’t have a middle name but I do face reality. And the reality is that if we lose the Golf Stream we freeze.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:08   #24
Resting in peace

Must have got the name wrong jambutty (only a few thousand miles out) basic journalistic mistake 'not checking the facts', the way it was explained to me was if the ice cap keeps melting, the ocean levels rise thus cooling the Gulf Stream and pushing it further south. Please enlighten me if I am wrong regards Ianto.W.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

If the north pole ice caps melts any more it will release squillions of tons of ‘fresh’ water into the North Atlantic and as well as contributing to rising sea levels it is the fresh water that does the damage. It won’t cool the Gulf Stream because it should still flow from the tropics.

Salt water being more dense than fresh water means that the fresh water will be near the surface thus pushing the salt water down to the depths. The temperature of the water also comes into the equation. Normally as the Gulf Stream runs out of steam and nears the Arctic it gets pushed down into the depths and returns to whence it came from to be warmed up and sent back northwards. The extra fresh water from melting ice caps makes this happen much sooner. Also the air temperature above the melting ice will make things colder.

The paradox is that the more CO2 is in the atmosphere the more heat from the sun gets trapped in our atmosphere and the quicker the polar caps melt. Not to mention the snow on top of mountains. The quicker the ice caps melt the more fresh water is dumped into the sea and the earlier the Gulf Stream will be pushed down.

A couple of weeks ago on TV they showed some skiing holiday resorts in the Alps. No snow. Not a single flake and the ski runs were GREEN not WHITE.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48   #26
Resting in peace

Thanks jambutty, the cold fresh water pushing the denser salt water down, it was a lot for an old chap to take in after a few pints. Oddly enough it was a recently retied merchant navy engineer from Oswaldtwistle who tried to explain to me, thank's again Ianto.W.
Old 09-01-2007, 15:16   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Prince Edward Island is in the southern hemisphere in the Indian Ocean at 45 degrees 30 minutes south and 38 degrees 00 minutes east Ianto.W. Putting it about 1,000 miles south east of Capetown so it can’t really be compared to northern latitudes.

The British Isles sit between about 50 degrees north and 61 degrees north the same as Labrador and Newfoundland in Canada (the southern tip of Greenland is at 60 degrees) who do not have the benefit of the Gulf Stream. Their winter temperatures go down to about 16 degrees Fahrenheit. Let’s see – that’s 16 minus 32 multiplied by 5 and dived by 9 equals about –9 degrees C. Low enough for brass monkeys to emigrate south.

The whole Newfoundland coast and the St Lawrence River freeze over during their winter to maybe half a mile off shore.

The northern half of the British Isles is at the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Germany and Poland, which are on a par with the southern half of our islands. Yet look at their winters..
Places of an equal latitude aren't a necessarily good indicator of similar weather. Moscow may be on a similar latitude to the UK, but because the rotation of the Earth means that nearly all weather stystems basically travel west to east, there is going to be a difference in temperature if those weather systems have to travel over land or sea.

An example, on a much smaller scale, is that Lancashire is wetter and warmer than Yorkshire, because the latter is in the rain shadow of the Pennines. The same can be seen in the temperature and precipitation patterns between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Multiply this land mass by continental proportions, rather than a few relatively small hills, and you understand why places of a similar latitude have such differing climates.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 15:34   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

So you are discounting the effect of the Gulf Stream garinda?

Poland and Germany have winters to be proud of (I know because I have been there during winter) because they are not warmed by the Gulf Stream as does the eastern seaboard of Canada.
Old 09-01-2007, 15:41   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So you are discounting the effect of the Gulf Stream garinda?.

No of course not. Just pointing out that although it has a temperate effect on the climate of the UK at the moment, particularly the west and south west, it will still be travelling this way whatever the temperature, and the effects on our climate in the future.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 16:01   #30
God Member

[quote=jambutty;364083]Prince Edward Island is in the southern hemisphere in the Indian Ocean at 45 degrees 30 minutes south and 38 degrees 00 minutes east Ianto.W. Putting it about 1,000 miles south east of Capetown so it can’t really be compared to northern latitudes.

quote]

I was taught that P.E.I. was Canadas smallest province , part of the Maritimes , http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/ seems the Canadian Govt. agree with me , crikey Jambo , wrong hemisphere, wrong ocean,

Last edited by steeljack; 09-01-2007 at 16:05.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..