Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2008, 21:36   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Alcohol yobs - what is the answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
...and survivors will be shot again

Seriously, get a grip on reality, the problems are with the minority, why destroy the lives of millions ?

The problem is mainly with the perception of "youths".

You see a group of teenagers in full black tracksuits and you assume that they are drunk off cheap cider, out until 3AM every night swearing and vandalising before going home to neglectful parents on benefits and truanting off the next day of school. The case 9 times out of 10 is that its a few teenage lads off for a kickabout.

I laugh at the fact that when I do out out playing football, people cross the street to avoid me, walking in not the best of areas and standing6ft tall wearing tracksuit bottoms (I'll be buggered if I'm wearing shorts in winter) and an athletic shirt I am the typical "youth" up to no good. Terrifying I know.

Now look at it from a different angle, I am a straight A student, had the chance of a place at Oxford or Cambridge but chose against it, now earned a conditional offer from the most popular and one of the most competitive universities in the country- The University of Manchester, I am simply going to have a kick around with my friends, who I've known since primary school, spending a bit of time with them before we all move away. Still scared ?
its YOU who wants to get a grip on reality Samf, no-one wants decent kids oining, no-one thinks all kids are yobs, its about trying to make society safer from the morons.
Old 18-01-2008, 22:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its YOU who wants to get a grip on reality Samf, no-one wants decent kids oining, no-one thinks all kids are yobs, its about trying to make society safer from the morons.
And how the bloody hell do you plan on this being enforced ? When all that is seen is sterotypes ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:41   #33

SamF you have commented several times in this thread ( entitled Alcohol yobs - what is the answer )but as yet I have not seen what you would propose is done about the “real” not “percepted” problems on our streets i.e. provide your solution to the question initially asked. It would be refreshing to hear a solution from a younger persons perspective.

Quote:
The problem is with family members buying the drink, normally an older brother or sister.
Is this really just an issue of family members buying drink for the kids I doubt it

Quote:
The problem is mainly with the perception of "youths".

it is no perception when you end up in a wooden box
Old 19-01-2008, 05:47   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm quite shocked at the mother's attitude in that article when the police brought her drunken daughter home.
The girl should have been taken to hospital and the mother told where she was to go and collect her.That way they are inconveniencing the mother which will probably bother her more than the fact she has been drinking. I think social services should be involved so they can start a case regarding situations like this. I don't think the parents should be prosecuted first time, we all did it, but something should happen for repeat instances.
Old 19-01-2008, 06:18   #35
God Member

the problem is that there are adult yobs who cant control their behaviour after getting drunk either. Maybe we should just ban alcohol completely. I know I wouldn't care
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 06:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think social services should be involved so they can start a case regarding situations like this. I don't think the parents should be prosecuted first time, we all did it, but something should happen for repeat instances.
Sorry Neil, I disagree with you on this, think its more an example of community policing being required , I grew up in Gt. Harwood during the 50s and 60s and everyone knew the local beat 'bobby' P.C.Robinson who covered the bottom end of town , and he knew the local kids and where they lived , he lived in the better part of the area , but was part of the community and woe betide any local kid who got caught doing a 'wille wonka' (head over heels roll) over the railway bridge parapet wall whilst a train was going under it (a right of passage), not only were you shamed by him taking you home , your parents/family were shamed at the same time . don't ever remember a clip around the ear from him or any police abuse but he had the respect which sadley seems to have gone .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 07:31   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry Neil, I disagree with you on this, think its more an example of community policing being required , ....local beat 'bobby' P.C.Robinson ...knew the local kids and where they lived.
Our local PC's do know many of the local kids, mainly those that cause the trouble and are working to sort out anti social behavior.

I still think the only may to get some parents to care what there kids are doing is to cause as much inconvience to them as you can. Things like not taking them to the local nick, take them 20 miles away so the parents have to present for interview collecting them.
Old 19-01-2008, 07:38   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Our local PC's do know many of the local kids, mainly those that cause the trouble and are working to sort out anti social behavior.

I still think the only may to get some parents to care what there kids are doing is to cause as much inconvience to them as you can. Things like not taking them to the local nick, take them 20 miles away so the parents have to present for interview collecting them.
yep , hold my hand up , times have changed so can't disagree with you , think thats a good idea
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 14:05   #39
God Member

the problem with the theory with that children defy their parents regardless of how much they get shouted at. Inconveniencing the parents might make them pay attention but why is it going to make the kids pay attention to their parents when theyre breaking the law? Do you think being shouted at by your parents is scarier than being punished by the police?

I think teens enjoy the thrill of doing something they shouldn't be doing, and more attention isn't going to deter them. The other bonus is that doing things like drinking and causing trouble is seen favourably amongst their peers. The more they get punished the more they boast about it.

When I was in the magistrates I witnesses a girl being fined for assault. £300. Did she look bothered? Course she didnt, because to her it makes her look 'better' to her friends.
Old 19-01-2008, 15:30   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
the problem with the theory with that children defy their parents regardless of how much they get shouted at. Inconveniencing the parents might make them pay attention but why is it going to make the kids pay attention to their parents when theyre breaking the law? Do you think being shouted at by your parents is scarier than being punished by the police?

I think teens enjoy the thrill of doing something they shouldn't be doing, and more attention isn't going to deter them. The other bonus is that doing things like drinking and causing trouble is seen favourably amongst their peers. The more they get punished the more they boast about it.

When I was in the magistrates I witnesses a girl being fined for assault. £300. Did she look bothered? Course she didnt, because to her it makes her look 'better' to her friends.
That is exactly why they should inflict some serious punishment on these morons, you would not see anybody bragging about being birched, put in borstal or boot camp, and even if they did, they wouldn't want to go back. We have to take the 'prestige' out of being a badun! Much like steeljacks german post, I agree with that.
Old 19-01-2008, 15:41   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
That is exactly why they should inflict some serious punishment on these morons, you would not see anybody bragging about being birched, put in borstal or boot camp, and even if they did, they wouldn't want to go back. We have to take the 'prestige' out of being a badun! Much like steeljacks german post, I agree with that.
If adults reoffend after being in 'real' prisons and they supposedly have more intelligence (or at least thats the general view on this forum) what makes you think teenagers are going to suddenly behave?
Old 19-01-2008, 17:20   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
If adults reoffend after being in 'real' prisons and they supposedly have more intelligence (or at least thats the general view on this forum) what makes you think teenagers are going to suddenly behave?
some will never behave,thats life,but there will sure as hell be less of em.
Old 19-01-2008, 17:35   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The goverment wont ban alcohol, its like fags, they are making to much money out of them!
and putting the age up is a waste of time too, kids will still get their hands on it, just like fags, that went up to 18.....waste of time that was

tougher penalties are needed thats all, but im just wasting my fingers putting this arnt I
Old 19-01-2008, 17:40   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
The goverment wont ban alcohol, its like fags, they are making to much money out of them!
and putting the age up is a waste of time too, kids will still get their hands on it, just like fags, that went up to 18.....waste of time that was

tougher penalties are needed thats all, but im just wasting my fingers putting this arnt I
people with common sense would agree with that,pity theres too many dummies.
Old 19-01-2008, 18:42   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
woe betide any local kid who got caught doing a 'wille wonka' (head over heels roll) over the railway bridge parapet wall whilst a train was going under it (a right of passage), not only were you shamed by him taking you home , your parents/family were shamed at the same time . don't ever remember a clip around the ear from him or any police abuse but he had the respect which sadley seems to have gone .
I don't think there's much shame going around these days either.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..