Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2005, 15:22   #76
Senior Member+

Re: aliens

hehehe, We did it in an RE lesson ages ago
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2005, 15:25   #77

Smile Re: aliens

did the teacher care or not
luke orourke 1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 15:27   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafu01
hehehe, We did it in an RE lesson ages ago
LOL no i'm a none believer!! things can be so cruel, I mean a christian will tell you it's GODS way of making you learn when something really bad happens, but I don't believe that.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 15:31   #79

niether do i i mean how can a man have created the world and earth. nobody nows how it started. and they never will so why belieave what some stupid idiots made up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
LOL no i'm a none believer!! things can be so cruel, I mean a christian will tell you it's GODS way of making you learn when something really bad happens, but I don't believe that.
Old 23-02-2005, 21:08   #80
Resident Waffler

An atheist acknowledges no God or gods. Atheism is stronger than agnosticism, which is the view that we have no knowledge either way. An agnostic denies both that we know that God, or gods, exist, and that we know that they do not. An atheist may disagree with this, claiming even to know that no God exists, for example through having a disproof of such existence. But many, or even most, atheists would agree with the agnostic that this is an area where knowledge is not to be had. However, an agnostic could hold that while we lack knowledge, our best bet is that some kind of God exists, so we should fill the gap by trust or faith in the existence of some kind of divinity. An atheist will reject any such leap of faith as well. An atheist holds that the most reasonable attitude is not to believe in any God or gods.
© 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

So basically an atheist is more sure that there isn't a God and an agnostic is the one who isn't sure one way or t'other.

But getting back to aliens and ghosts. I believe in both. I think it's quite arrogant of us human beings to think we are the only ones in existence. I don't want to see ghosts. I find the prospect scary but we certainly had a weird thing last year in a B&B we stayed in for a couple of nights. I took a photo because the place was so grim and when we looked later there was a starnge glow on my daughter's bed. spooky.

I can't wait for May 14th - after that date I'll be able to watch scary films because I'l have someone to curl up with. I daren't watch them and then go to bed on my own.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 23-02-2005 at 21:13.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 21:24   #81
God Member

A sociologist named Durkheim wondered whether, by comparing religion to society, he could argue that God is society, when people worship God they are worshipping society and when they question God they are questioning society and social morality. The easiest way for Durkheim to prove his theory was to study a primitive society. Durkheim studied Aborigines of Australia. These Aborigines had divided into clans and interestingly each clan had a name for itself. Each clan had adopted a totem pole and on the totem was an emblem, usually an animal or plant that represented the clan. Over time the emblem became sacred. They sang and danced and had rituals to worship the totem. Ironically they were worshipping themselves, their culture and their own society.
Old 23-02-2005, 21:28   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
A sociologist named Durkheim wondered whether, by comparing religion to society, he could argue that God is society, when people worship God they are worshipping society and when they question God they are questioning society and social morality. The easiest way for Durkheim to prove his theory was to study a primitive society. Durkheim studied Aborigines of Australia. These Aborigines had divided into clans and interestingly each clan had a name for itself. Each clan had adopted a totem pole and on the totem was an emblem, usually an animal or plant that represented the clan. Over time the emblem became sacred. They sang and danced and had rituals to worship the totem. Ironically they were worshipping themselves, their culture and their own society.
shi'''''t you need a job pmsfl!!!! where the hell did that come from!! was you thinking that this morning over coffee??

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 21:31   #83

Interesting findings but what Durkheim fails to point out is that this occurs in a group of groups of peoples who had no other beliefs. it does not imply that Christianity was "invented" in this way.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 21:31   #84
God Member

Quote:
shi'''''t you need a job pmsfl!!!! where the hell did that come from!! was you thinking that this morning over coffee??
Thought you were away i was trying to sneak something intelligent in for a change and put my hours of lectures to some good use PMSL!! But good old Durkheim had a point don't you think?
Old 23-02-2005, 21:34   #85
God Member

Not that i was calling you unintelligent Slinky i meant me always taking the p*ss on here lol!!!
Old 23-02-2005, 21:36   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Not that i was calling you unintelligent Slinky i meant me always taking the p*ss on here lol!!!
I did'nt think you was taking the p''''''s wait aminute I am just going to read the thread again cos this is'nt making sence now!!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 21:37   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Interesting findings but what Durkheim fails to point out is that this occurs in a group of groups of peoples who had no other beliefs. it does not imply that Christianity was "invented" in this way.
Your right he was criticised for studying a primitive society and his findings are more relevant to small non-literate societies and modern societies are more complicated but i think he had a relevant point.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 23-02-2005 at 21:45.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 21:38   #88
God Member

Quote:
I did'nt think you was taking the p''''''s wait aminute I am just going to read the thread again cos this is'nt making sence now!!
right I was having a laugh, by god did you manage to look good hehehehehe thats what i meant!! where the hell did you get your information on that one lmfao

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 21:42   #89
Give, give, give member

willow the wisp, send the photos of the glow on your daughter's bed @ the B&B to Watch dog, You might get some compensation. Was it in Cumbria?
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 21:48   #90

Compensation for a glowing bed? It wasn't near Sellafield was it?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..