Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 02:11   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Alternative Hyndburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Actually Mr Garinda, I think you would be pretty good at the Job. Fancy a bit?

4 months l've been waiting! You know l do. {pm me we'll organise first date!**

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24   #17
God Member

[QUOTE=garinda]

I once dismissed Gayle Knight's column as l thought it wasn't really aimed at me, but it was a darn sight more entertaining and well written than this Mr Angry drivel.

QUOTE]

Thank you!
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31   #18
Give, give, give member

It was when you first joined or just before, and l said it in one of the threads re: the bloody panoptican.

Wasn't meant personally. l did read your column, but it just seemed more aimed at females than males. Was much better than so called 'lifestyle' columnists in the Sunday papers, and l do remember how powerfully you wrote about vandalism, which l thought was excellent.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:11   #19
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
4 months l've been waiting! You know l do. {pm me we'll organise first date!**
F****** spell checker. It should have read “fancy a bit of chit chat”. However, Mr Handsome. I think you have been spending for to much time with these here women on here and have lost touch with your masculine sensitivity. Now. I am a very outgoing and open individual, but I must inform you that I have no intention of allowing you to touch any sensitivity of mine. “Said in a deep gruff northern masculine voice” I am however, more than happy to accept your friendship has it is with all good and true men of these northern lands. You may avail yourself of my time, beer, vehicle and even money. But you leave the man alone. The only man in me is me, any shenanigans is reserved for the fairer sex. Fancy a pint with the girls?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:20   #20
Give, give, give member

Very funny, l'm on the floor and not in a come hither way!

I'll live.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:16   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I don't think they employ one at all these days Lettie. I was told it wasn't necessary since it's all computerised and they have a spell checker.

Hehehe, their spell checker is obviously not effective. If our newspaper (for want of a better word) cannot be bothered to ensure correct spelling, then how on Earth can we expect kids and adults with difficulties in reading and writing to learn and understand why these things are important.

I eagerly await the next copy of A.O., as I'm sure that someone will eventually spell Hyndburn as Hyndbum......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:34   #22
God Member

Is it true, that in April 1912, one week after the Titanic went down with the loss of 1500 lives, the headline in the Accy Observer was:

ACCRINGTON MAN IN SEA ACCIDENT

Can anyone answer?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 14:37   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i was a lad had a banger explode in my eye,thought it was great when my mum said your in the observer,until i read it -said BRAIN instead of brian,big embarrasment for an 11 year old, so it may well have been a better paper in those days,but they still couldn't ruddy SPELL lol
Old 01-07-2005, 14:48   #24
God Member

I do feel slightly obliged to defend the paper, after all I did write for them for four years, but unfortunately there isn't much excuse for sloppy writing and incorrect spelling. Only defence I can offer is that they have a very small staff and a short time to produce the paper in so they aren't always able to afford each article extra time for double checking. Fortunately, they're in good company because the Independent and the Guardian are frequently just as bad. As for the Lancs Eve Tel - well, that's a whole different ball game.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..