Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 17:15   #1

Aluminum Overcast

A "Flying Fortress" just flew over our house. A WWII B-17 bomber, now owned by The Experimental Aircraft Assocation. They call her the Aluminum Overcast, (aluminium to you good folks), and I think she is only one of three such aircraft still airworthy. The association takes her to regional airfields around the U.S. and offers both ground tours and flights. This weekend, the plane is flying out of Briscoe Field, about twenty miles away from here.

These wonderful aircraft flew many a mission out of England during WWII. History buffs may wish to visit http://www.b17.org
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2006, 18:43   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Aluminum Overcast

Oooh I wish I could have seen that. My favourite aircraft of the period is the Mosquito but to see any of those old planes still in the air is very moving.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 19:01   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

There are only 3 planes I can instantly recognise, apart from Concorde which I won't be seeing again. They are the Spitfire, the Lancaster bomber and the Vulcan. I got mildly excited and not a little nostalgic when all 3 flew very low over our house one day, a good few years ago, when Barton Air Show was on.

My husband used to work on the computerised navigation/bombing systems in V-Bombers, when he was in the RAF, and he was pleased to see the Vulcan until it got right overhead. Then he looked up at it and said, with disappointment, "We used to keep them a lot cleaner than that, in my day".
Old 01-10-2006, 19:41   #4
Resident Waffler

You've reminded me of one time when there was an airshow over Morecambe and the local radio were broadcasting from the Dome Arena. The DJ kept referring to "the Spitire flying overhead". I just had to eventually tell him that actually it was a Hurricane!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:15   #5

The post about the Lancaster bomber reminded me of something that happened to me during WW2 (that dates me, doesn't it?).

I was staying with an auntie of mine in Berkshire one summer and one evening we were all startled by what we at first thought was approaching thunder. But the noise continued to get louder and when we went out to see what was happening we saw that the sky was thick from horizon to horizon with silhouettes of planes - you name it, they were all there. It was what was later called "The night of a thousand bombers" and was one of the turning points of the war. I feel quite privileged to have seen it. It's a memory I shall never forget.

Tricia
:engsmil:
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:38   #6
Resident Waffler

WOW I bet that was some sight Tricia.

Old 04-10-2006, 23:43   #7

Yes - I was only very little at the time, and still remember it quite clearly, so it must have made a big impression.

My auntie lived just across the road from one of the main Battle of Britain airfields, but it was experimental rather than strategic - where they tested new planes and equipment. The Luftwaffe would have loved to know where it was, but they never found out - luckily for us!

Though I do remember one bombing raid where we all took refuge in the broom cupboard under the stairs. We played shadow hand puppets with the torch with my daddy, who happened to be on leave from the Navy at the time. I thought it was a great adventure. I was having too much fun to be scared.
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..