Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21   #1
God Member

Amy's Law

If you were an asylum seeker who had been denied leave to remain and who had been disqualified from driving, and you then drove a car, without insurance or tax, and then proceeded to knock a 12 year old child down, killing her, and then you left the scene of the accident, what do you think the courts would do with you?

In Aso Mohammed Ibrahim's case he was given a four month custodial sentence, for driving while disqualified and leaving the scene of an accident. It is assumed that there was no order made for deportation following his release from custody. There was certainly little mention of the life he casually cut short.

Mr. Paul Houston has been campaigning for a change to the law and the creation of a new offence of "Causing death while driving disqualified". This has been dubbed "Amy's Law", in memory of Mr Houston's 12 year old daughter who was Ibrahim's hapless and ignored victim.

Amy Houston was killed in November 2003. Despite pleas to the Transport Secretary, Alistair Darling, and the Prime Minister, Amy's Law has not been included in the current review of the Road Safety Bill.

Perhaps you might like to consider Amy's sad end when it comes time to elect the next government, and treat New Labour's claims to be "tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime" with the same callous indifference which they have shown to Amy and her father.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35   #2

Re: Amy's Law

That is really sad, poor Amy's family must be devastated at the fact that their child life seems to have meant nothing, it is about time the law was definately changed,

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45   #3
Senior Member+

Id heard about this case before.I am a taxi driver in hyndburn I just wonder if I had commited the same offences would I still have my liberty??????
mthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:48   #4
God Member

No, you would probably have been convicted of causing death by reckless driving and would probably now be serving five years.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 11-01-2005 at 10:51.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56   #5

one rule for them and another for us it really annoys me,

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02   #6
Senior Member+

tell me about it fibi.being a taxi driver in the area i come up against this sort of thing all the time with the councils taxi inspectors.i believe in the guide lines they set but dont like theway they police them(nothing to do with our local bobbies)
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06   #7
God Member

>>i believe in the guide lines they set but dont like theway they police them <<

Do you feel like sharing your observations and concerns with us?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06   #8
God Member

It is a tragedy in the first place, to do nothing about it is criminal.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09   #9
Senior Member+

yeah no problems im new to this in wot way do you mean Bob
Old 11-01-2005, 11:19   #10
God Member

Well, your intital response would seem to imply that HBC's inpectors are a little less than even handed in their approach. While this is perhaps not surprising, it would be interesting and informative to hear the experience of someone at the sharp end. I would not wish to encourage you to name names, by any means. But if there are things that you feel the general public should be aware of then, perhaps, this might be a suitable place to air those views.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33   #11
Senior Member+

well being a private hire driver their are certain things we have to display. badges signs on doors. plate etc. As for the signs we have yellow insurance ones usually displayed on rear passenger doors and the name of the firm we work for on front doors. why is it that if one of mine flies off(being magnetic)i get stopped and given severe warnings whilst certain firms have drivers who never have a firms logo on only drive around with yellow insurance stickers.Surely the name of fim is of impotance for safety of passengers especially females travelling alone late at night.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:40   #12
God Member

Indeed? Are they as keen on the state of repair too, or is this similarly subject to double standards?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:51   #13
Senior Member+

they can be a little heavy handed on this score, just before christmas i had a headlight bulb go on me at 01:30am ,so i finished work and went home.the folloing evening whilst having a brew brake in the office a certain one of the inspectors noticeing my car outside came in asking if i had replaced said bulb(which i of course had) .Only to see over the past few weeks certain taxis driving arond with multiple lighting defective.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56   #14
Senior Member+

but i feel quite strongly on these issues but if you say anything you are accused of being racsist. who exactly is being persecuted here.am i and other taxi drivers not being racially harrassed
Old 11-01-2005, 12:10   #15
God Member

Do you think this is a deliberate matter of policy or something which is more to do with the inspectors not wanting the hassle of getting involved in protracted discussions with people whose first language is not English?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..