Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2008, 19:14   #31

Re: An insult to our soldiers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_flibble View Post
For example if you visit ANY american airport it is full of their army troops walking round with flak jackets on and fully loaded M-16's in hand.
Beg to differ. I fly on a regular basis and whilst one sees large numbers of troops in transit, you will not see them carrying weapons of any kind, since all such are banned from airport property. A small number of security personnel or TSA agents fall under a different category and are armed but you are unlikely to see them waving guns around. Only on the occasion of a high risk alert will you see armed national guards at airports.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2008, 19:18   #32
God Member

Quote:
Actually the guns and ammo that we use (the NATO 5.56mm round) are not, surprisingly, designed to kill people. They are infact designed to disable and cause injury.

Although that's going off topic somewhat.
Oh and cause injury is acceptable isnt it.

Many people will remember the man who passed out due to his diabetes on a london bus and had a tazer (sp) used on him. He was an ordinary white man who was no more of a threat than you or me. The excuse used to justify it was that 'he looked egyptian'. Yes, I can see where the justification for simply causes harm comes into it. How could I have been so naive.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 23:42   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Actually the guns and ammo that we use (the NATO 5.56mm round) are not, surprisingly, designed to kill people. They are infact designed to disable and cause injury.

Although that's going off topic somewhat.
I don't know where you got that info from "not designed to kill"

The NATO 5.56mm is a reduction in calibre from the 7.6mm round
so that soldiers can carry more ammo for the same weight.

It does'nt matter whether the round is .303, 7.62, 5.56 or .22, if it hits you between the eyes your dead.

Not all guns or ammo is designed to kill or cause injury.

Some firearms are designed for a specific purpose, IE target firearms
are to unwieldy to be used in combat, and some shot guns are designed
specifically for clay targets.

I spent a good 60 years of my life with firearms, to me they are just
wood and steel, in other words a tool, its who has hold of it that you need to worry about.

Guns DON'T kill people, PEOPLE kill people, with any thing they can lay there hands on, be it screwdrivers, kitchen knives or cars, far more so than with firearms.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:39   #34
God Member

I can't believe that the returning troops have to go thru this bs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 08:24   #35
God Member

Are there any pictures of them actually doing this anywhere?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 09:06   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Are there any pictures of them actually doing this anywhere?
Not seen any Blazey.

The soldiers were quoted as saying that there was little room in the aircraft to change and decided to change on the runway. I like to think that this was all done in good humour, and would have said to their mates "Blow this (for a bunch of soldiers ) .. I'm going outside .. don't want your smelly armpits in my face". I hope so anyway. Positive they did not object to getting changed, as they knew this was the rule.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 17:08   #37
God Member

Seems that the rules are going to be changed about uniforms in public places;

BBC NEWS | UK | Off-duty troops may be in uniform

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..