Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 09:12   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: annoyed!

I never pay a penny in interest on my credit card. I only have one and refuse to get any more. They're really handy when travelling and I tend to pay some money on them in advance if I am travelling for a month or so, that way I don't get stung for interest. I won't have store cards etc because the interest is a rip off. I am my bank's worst customer as I will not pay a penny in interest, I'm way too tight. They never make any money off me.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2006, 13:55   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

The crazy thing is that it's people who are already in debt who find obtaining further credit easiest. It does make sense to have a credit card but I would never recommend one to anyone who buys too impulsively. It can be too easy to pay on the plastic today and forget about tomorrow.

I have a credit card with my bank and I use online banking. Every time I look at my accounts online it shows the amount of any credit card debt so I can't lose track. I only use the card for very large purchases or if I am abroad and I always pay it off in full by the due payment date so I too have never paid any interest. I'm not the sort of customer they really want as they don't make anything out of me.
Old 02-01-2006, 17:09   #18
God Member

Credit cards are best describe as a double edged sword. On one side they kill the problem of say emergency puchases but on the other they can turn on you like a hungary tiger. Its a balancing act that takes care and skill.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 19:09   #19

Thumbs up Re: annoyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty
Just before christmas i borrowed some catalogues from a friend who said that not having a credit card would not stop me from being able to purchase items.anyway i sent off/phoned my orders through to find that not one (out of 5) would allow me to buy stuff although i was willing to pay the full amount at once so just because i dont own my house or owe anyone money i could not be a customer.......this has made me so mad!!!im having to reconsider getting a credit card when i have resisted for 3 years.i really dont want to because i expect i would get into a downward spiral of debt that i cant afford to do (excuse the pun).views anyone?

feel better now i have had my rant
hi, just get a debit card from your bank it is not a credit card but can use to buy on line and caterlogs i have one and havent had any problems mal:engsmil:
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 22:24   #20
God Member

Its not the card they're after it's the fact that she's got the credit card. NOTE the own house/owe money bit, yes a debit card will improve credit rating but a credit card is better. Even if she pays with the debit card instantly they won't let her have it because she has to open an account, an account is an invite to order more stuff as its got a credit limit on it of say 100 quid, to get the account you need a credit rating, to get credit rating you need to have owed money or have a card. Its like trying to get a fair ground roundabout that won't stop. PROBLEM IS once your on it, you find it hard to get off, and can you cope with being on it.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 22:30   #21
God Member

I've got seven credit cards, I'm about to buy a new washer dryer and oven and hob on one, at the end of the month I'll balance transfer it on to a new one or an existing one thats got 0% on balance transfers, then I'll transfer it to my egg one which I know will do the same in April. All the time I'll be saving up ready to pay it off, which I will before I get charged interest. I'll save it in a high interest account and pay the credit card only when I have enough and need to. And the other six are clear.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmal_1
hi, just get a debit card from your bank it is not a credit card but can use to buy on line and caterlogs i have one and havent had any problems mal:engsmil:
Mal, You do not get the same consumer protection with a debit card as you do with a credit card. e.g. Those who paid Tiny for Plasmas/PC's etc on a credit card get their cash back. Those that paid on debit card don't, its that simple.

If you are buying anything over £100 get it on a credit card. Even if you do as some others have mentioned and put the money on the card first. If there is anyting wrong with it then it is the credit cards problem to get the money back not yours.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 21:17   #23
Resident Waffler

Credit cards can actually be a good way of saving money. If you buy somethng with a credit card you don't actually pay for it until the bill comes so provided you pay the full amount it doesn't cost you interest but the money has been in your bank account earning you interest between the date of purchase and the date of statement.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:48   #24
Resting in peace

Why not get a credit card, but leave it with a trusted friend? That way, you can't spend money for the sake of it, or impulse buy, but you have it if the boiler breaks down in the depths of winter, or if you want to go travelling. I use a debit card for most things, on the basis that if I can't pay cash for it, I can't afford it. There is a BIG temptation to spend too much (that dress that you HAVE TO HAVE for that party, etc), so if you are inclined to overspend, either don't have one, or leave it with a friend.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 15:04   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Mal, You do not get the same consumer protection with a debit card as you do with a credit card. e.g. Those who paid Tiny for Plasmas/PC's etc on a credit card get their cash back. Those that paid on debit card don't, its that simple.

If you are buying anything over £100 get it on a credit card. Even if you do as some others have mentioned and put the money on the card first. If there is anyting wrong with it then it is the credit cards problem to get the money back not yours.

Ian
Thanks for that entwisi, yes i am living proof of the time/tiny situation we paid on debit card and so are not covered if we had paid on credit card we could have got the money back it pays to take note any purchase over £100 is best paid by credit card instead of cash/cheque/debit card.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..