Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AccyJay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2012, 23:17   #1
Senior Member+

Another Phone Scam

I received this yesterday.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ!!
Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this.

AND HE DID!! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing, until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said...credit card, there & then I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 - number withheld. I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases!

To all people I know, beware of this scam, and it is a scam
westendlass likes this.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.

Last edited by AccyJay; 18-11-2012 at 23:20.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2012, 08:34   #2

Re: Another Phone Scam

I wonder why the police and BT don't issue valid, low-balance credit card numbers to their employees to deal with this. Eventually, he's going to call one of them, and they can just follow through with the scam. Eventually, he (or whoever he sells the details to) will try to use them - and they can be traced back to the perpetrators.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 09:13   #3

This is years old I heard it ages ago
Old 19-11-2012, 09:33   #4
God Member

It is old, it's been going around facebook for quite some time now
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 10:56   #5
Full Member+

Thank you AccyJay , whether it old or new it is good to be reminded and alert. I had forgotten all about that one, again thanks.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:54   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Its at least 3 years old and is explained here BT Cut-Off Scam
Old 29-11-2012, 11:14   #7

I answered the 'phone yesterday and found myself listening to an old scam. It was a voice I immediately identified as being a native African who was probably reading from a script, solely because of how slowly and carefully he informed me he was based in London and had identified a fault with my computer. I wonder if his instructions included possible targets answering with the simple phrase "Get Lost".
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 15:16   #8

Our landline telephone was broken, so I unplugged it and bought a new one-which I have not yet got around to plugging in. I must say, I don't think I will!The peace from sales/marketing/unsolicited calls is lovely! And we have mobiles.....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..