Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2010, 14:21   #1
Senior Member+

Any Ideas on Repointing Costs?

Would anyone have any ideas on the approximate cost of having the front elevation of a 2 storey stone built terraced house repointed?

Also i've received a leaflet through the door about a "Home Front Improvement Incentive Scheme" which is apparently backed by Hyndburn Borough Council and Accent Regeneration.

I'd not heard of this scheme previously, but apparently they have grants currently available in the Peel & Barnfield Wards which would contribute 50% of the costs upto a maximum work value of £1500.

Has anyone had any experience of using this scheme...it says its available in the area for people who contact them by 17th May?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2010, 14:31   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Any Ideas on Repointing Costs?

We are in the middle of a regeneration scheme not sure which it is as all the work is paid for by the council.
we get all the front done IE,pointing cut out and re pointed , all the front sand blasted new doors windows guttering down pipe new metal fencing and gate, front garden flagged stone round door and windows painted.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 15:23   #3
Senior Member+

Thats the kind of work that this Grant covers Mick, apart from the fact that this one only covers 50% of the cost, the owner having to pay the other 50%, and the total cost cannot exceed £1500.

Always a bit suspicious with leaflets through the door, but does seem to be genuine, it seems to be administered through the Neighbourhood Management Office on Nuttall Street!

Trying to get a rough idea of the full costs of a repoint, before contacting them. It says the scheme has two appointed contractors who will work on behalf of Accent Regeneration, and only those two can be used. So not sure how competitive their prices would be compared to what a local brickie/builder would charge.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-04-2010, 15:37   #4
God Member

You could try ringing Mick's Pointing on 07946 273436, sure he would give you some idea.

If I see him up Stanley tonight I'll ask him.
Old 27-04-2010, 15:42   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You could try ringing Mick's Pointing on 07946 273436, sure he would give you some idea.

If I see him up Stanley tonight I'll ask him.
Cheers Dave, its just for comparison purposes really to give me some idea as to whether this is as good a deal as it sounds. Wouldn't want to waste a tradesmans time giving me a quote, when if a decide to use this scheme, they wouldn't be eligible to get the job. If you do see him, i'd appreciate that!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-04-2010, 16:22   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Aint too sure about cost of pointing a front Taggy mate, aint cheap, but wouldn't be paying £1500.
Old 27-04-2010, 17:34   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aint too sure about cost of pointing a front Taggy mate, aint cheap, but wouldn't be paying £1500.
No neither will i Cashy!...I think the £1500 is just meaning that's the maximum spend available eg:£750 Grant plus £750 from owner, over the range of repairs/improvements that's covered. Its doesn't just cover repointing but other things such as Replacement Windows and Doors, guttering, downspouts, garden railings, flags etc.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-04-2010, 17:46   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Thats the kind of work that this Grant covers Mick, apart from the fact that this one only covers 50% of the cost, the owner having to pay the other 50%, and the total cost cannot exceed £1500.

Always a bit suspicious with leaflets through the door, but does seem to be genuine, it seems to be administered through the Neighbourhood Management Office on Nuttall Street!

Trying to get a rough idea of the full costs of a repoint, before contacting them. It says the scheme has two appointed contractors who will work on behalf of Accent Regeneration, and only those two can be used. So not sure how competitive their prices would be compared to what a local brickie/builder would charge.

Best Regards - Taggy
It's a genuine scheme Taggy,that,s being tried out in Peel Ward.I know several householders who are making use of the grant. Give the N.M.B on Nuttall St a ring they'll explain it in more detail.Thanks by the way for your continued support in the elections. It's appreciated.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 17:58   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It's a genuine scheme Taggy,that,s being tried out in Peel Ward.I know several householders who are making use of the grant. Give the N.M.B on Nuttall St a ring they'll explain it in more detail.Thanks by the way for your continued support in the elections. It's appreciated.
Glad to support you Bernard...you've always done a good job for the residents. Is this scheme something that's going to run throughout Hyndburn do you know, because it states we have to contact them before 17th May...before it will pass on to other streets in the programme?

Also will this be the only/best scheme on offer, as i was wondering about the regeneration work that Mick was describing in the area off Blackburm Road, where the Council was meeting the full costs of similar work?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-04-2010, 21:49   #10
God Member

Quote:
Cheers Dave, its just for comparison purposes really to give me some idea as to whether this is as good a deal as it sounds. Wouldn't want to waste a tradesmans time giving me a quote, when if a decide to use this scheme, they wouldn't be eligible to get the job. If you do see him, i'd appreciate that!

Best Regards - Taggy

Did see him, ball park figure £300
Old 27-04-2010, 21:53   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Thats a damn good price Taggy.IMHO.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:18   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cheers Dave thats much appreciated, your right Cashy, thats certainly less than i thought!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 28-04-2010, 19:42   #13
God Member

And its well worth the £300 too, most boring job I have ever tried, did about a dozed bricks and stopped and got someone in to do it, cost me £100 about 15 year ago, best £100 I have ever spent

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 20:07   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Glad to support you Bernard...you've always done a good job for the residents. Is this scheme something that's going to run throughout Hyndburn do you know, because it states we have to contact them before 17th May...before it will pass on to other streets in the programme?

Also will this be the only/best scheme on offer, as i was wondering about the regeneration work that Mick was describing in the area off Blackburm Road, where the Council was meeting the full costs of similar work?

Best Regards - Taggy
Apologies for being a bit late in reply to your question, I was trying to find out more information about the scheme.

The funding for the scheme has come from the Fair Share Lottery Funding. It's operating in Barnfield at the moment as well. How extensively it will be rolled out across the Borough, I'm not sure. But it seems like a good idea to me.

The scheme is being run in most of Peel Ward. The ward for this purpose has been split into four areas. The first two have already been completed. Yours is the third area, which as you say there on with now.I've also been told that the take up for the grant has been generally good.

The area that you mentioned on Blackburn Rd area was mainly financed through other sources of funding, such as Neighbourhood Renewal Funding,also some Elevate funding.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 07:59   #15
Senior Member+

Aye...its not a job i'd tackle myself!

Cheers Bernard...i'll get in touch with them and see what they say!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..