Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2010, 11:11   #61
Super Moderator

Re: Apologies if I've caused offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
"How dare they inflict this politically correct, namby pamby, Guardian-reading, chattering class liberal bunkum on us? It is the birthright of every God-fearing Englishman to be able to recite Baa Baa Black Sheep to his kids etc etc etc..."

I hope that helps
That's more like it! Now all we need is a real live Guardian-reading, tree-hugging liberal to tell us that we musn't use the term "purdah" and we've got the makings of a good, old Accyweb ruck.

Any takers?
Old 27-01-2010, 12:16   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Maybe there was more than one incident...this woman lived in Baxenden, I'm sure.....or maybe it's me...I'm starting to lose it..but I can't be...I'm only 33.
Not to worry T, i lost it years ago.
Old 27-01-2010, 16:42   #63
Senior Member+

I was stationed in Sheffield in 1962 - ver4y confused when almost every male that spoke to you, bus conductors, shop keepers, stall holders - addressed you as "love". A bit confusing for a Lancashire Lad, but I was living there so had to accept it.
Old 27-01-2010, 17:54   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Purdah is a perfectly legitimate word in the English language. I believe that we are currently in England where the English language is spoken. Therefore this word is not offensive in its English context. Believe me, if this word was deemed to cause offence to anyone, the PC Brigade would have outlawed it by now...
The word beginning with C for vagina is in the English language as well. How many people do you think I would offend if I said it on here?

I think Gayle is great for apologising for potentially causing offence even though nobody said explicitly that they are offended. As I was taught in a lecture the other day, just because nobody is protesting doesn't mean it is right.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:49   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember one woman causing a song and a dance, in the Observer letters page because a nurse had called her cock, silly woman
Guess it all depends what she called it Jaysay!!

I'm getting really fed up of people thinking that they should perhaps be saying sorry for potentially upsetting someone....well at times we are all going to say something that might upset someone else...well thats life isnt it, tough get over it, unless somethings said with malicious intent, then no one can really take offence, and if they do, then ....get a life!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 15:05   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Guess it all depends what she called it Jaysay!!

I'm getting really fed up of people thinking that they should perhaps be saying sorry for potentially upsetting someone....well at times we are all going to say something that might upset someone else...well that's life isnt it, tough get over it, unless somethings said with malicious intent, then no one can really take offence, and if they do, then ....get a life!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Another thing I hate is people apologising for things which happened donkeys years ago, in many case generations ago
Old 28-01-2010, 15:08   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Another thing I hate is people apologising for things which happened donkeys years ago, in many case generations ago
Yep....sorry is the new Black!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03   #68
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
The word beginning with C for vagina is in the English language as well. How many people do you think I would offend if I said it on here?

I think Gayle is great for apologising for potentially causing offence even though nobody said explicitly that they are offended. As I was taught in a lecture the other day, just because nobody is protesting doesn't mean it is right.
The C word you're referring to is hundreds of years old and words which are deemed offensive today were in common usage until the seventeenth century. Fleet Street in London, for example, was known as 'Sh**barn Street' until the middle ages on account of several manure stores and it was only after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 that we started properly acquiring airs and graces.

It saddens me to read daily that some phrase or other that has been innocuous for years is now suddenly classed as offensive because the PC Brigade have had a bright idea. Blackboards becoming chalkboards is probably the worst example I can think of, yet whiteboards are perfectly fine.

Apologising for something that hasn't upset anyone is becoming too common among people who haven't set out to cause offence. Feeling obliged to cover yourself simply because there are ludricrous groups of people out there waiting to be offended is stunting this country's progress. We spend more time debating wording and who will be upset by new schemes than getting on with it and working hard to make things better.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:51   #69
God Member

nothing that is white is deemed offensive unless of course its somone white talking about somthing black wether it be a blackboard or a black person were pretty much screwed if we talk about it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..