Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04   #1
Resting in Peace

Are these people a special case

'Expenses fraud' MPs and peer insist they should not face trial | Mail Online

Are these disgraced politicians a special case, should they have been allowed to stay out of the dock, and should they be dealt with at Crown Court or in house in Parliament
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Are these people a special case

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
'Expenses fraud' MPs and peer insist they should not face trial | Mail Online

Are these disgraced politicians a special case, should they have been allowed to stay out of the dock, and should they be dealt with at Crown Court or in house in Parliament
You can only blame the system.

Instead of just a little Green Book(you will get away with this)They should have an Amber Book(you may get away with this on a good day)and a little Red Book(not a hope in hell,don't do it)

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20   #3
Super Moderator

They've been charged with offences under the Theft Act, so they should be tried in a court of law like us commoners would be if we were in the same position.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37   #4
Give, give, give member

Yes, they are a special case, and should therefore feel the full weight of the law, as an example to the citizens they governed, that stealing is wrong.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39   #5
God Member

They really do make me sick, they claimed expenses they weren't entitled to so of course they should be tried in a court of law. I am a member of a couple of carers sites and god forbid any of them earn more than £95 a week and carry on claiming carers allowance they would soon be hauled before the courts and have to repay any overpayment. The arrogance of these MP's is astounding
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, they are a special case, and should therefore feel the full weight of the law, as an example to the citizens they governed, that stealing is wrong.
Spot on
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25   #7
Common Sense Member

Politicians getting preferential treatment in the eyes of the law over dodgy expenses.....yup, should sit well with the public in these stable times.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37   #8
Beacon of light

No, they are no more special than any benefit fraudster being dealt with by any court in the land.......that they believe they are 'special' and should be treated in a different way(does that mean more leniently?) just shows how out of touch they are with public opinion and how far away from the real world they are.
They are despicable.
Baroness Uddin has been cleared of any wrong doing on a technicality....she claimed £100,000 pounds and has got away with it, only because there is no clear distinction in the parliamentary regulations as to what constitues a primary residence....so if she visited her flat in Maidstone Kent once a month, then this could be considered her primary residence and she was free to calim £174 per night for accommodation in the city.
More bl**dy neck than a giraffe!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Baroness Uddin has been cleared of any wrong doing on a technicality....she claimed £100,000 pounds and has got away with it, only because there is no clear distinction in the parliamentary regulations as to what constitues a primary residence....so if she visited her flat in Maidstone Kent once a month, then this could be considered her primary residence and she was free to calim £174 per night for accommodation in the city.
According to the BBC, this is down to a recent ruling by the Lords authorities which determined that peers could nominate a property as their "main" home even if they only "visit" it at least once a month.

Note that - a "recent" ruling. In other words, these greedy, snout-dipping sods are determined to keep on troughing at our expense.

Or how about this?

MPs’ expenses: Ann and Alan Keen told to repay just £1,500 - Telegraph

Despite all the fine words, it's abundantly clear that those who supposedly represent us have STILL not got the message.

If there's a low turn out and/or a large vote for fringe parties in a couple of months time, we'll know exactly who's to blame!
Old 12-03-2010, 14:54   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
According to the BBC, this is down to a recent ruling by the Lords authorities which determined that peers could nominate a property as their "main" home even if they only "visit" it at least once a month.

Note that - a "recent" ruling. In other words, these greedy, snout-dipping sods are determined to keep on troughing at our expense.

Or how about this?

MPs’ expenses: Ann and Alan Keen told to repay just £1,500 - Telegraph

Despite all the fine words, it's abundantly clear that those who supposedly represent us have STILL not got the message.

If there's a low turn out and/or a large vote for fringe parties in a couple of months time, we'll know exactly who's to blame!
Take it your not a fan Wyn
Old 12-03-2010, 15:33   #11
Senior Member+

What does the Representative for Hyndburn have to say on the matter - and all prospective ones for that matter - they seem to be very quiet on the matter - waiting, hoping to get their snouts in the Westminster trough?
Old 12-03-2010, 15:35   #12
Give, give, give member

It appears Peers and MPs can get away with stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds, whilst others are jailed for stealing £18.

Accrington woman jailed for dodging £18 taxi fare (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Stealing is stealing, and everyone is (supposed to be) equal before the law.

Old 12-03-2010, 15:55   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
What does the Representative for Hyndburn have to say on the matter - and all prospective ones for that matter - they seem to be very quiet on the matter - waiting, hoping to get their snouts in the Westminster trough?
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for comments they seem very tight lipped on this subject
Old 12-03-2010, 17:49   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It appears Peers and MPs can get away with stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds, whilst others are jailed for stealing £18.

Accrington woman jailed for dodging £18 taxi fare (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Stealing is stealing, and everyone is (supposed to be) equal before the law.
I may be pushing my luck on this subject but would it be legal for me to claim Housing and Council Tax benefit for my flat if I stayed here for one night a month and spent the rest of the time doing a bit of Slippery in Europe.

I do have a Hereditary coat of arms, just short of a Diplomatic bag or two.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 18:05   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How this immoral, arrogant bitch has evaded criminal proceedings is down to the fact that those these people made up the rules, which they then abused.

Hang your head in shame, along with Blair for making you a Peer, and along with a government that allowed these abuses to flourish.

Sadly, if they'd have had their way, for they fought tooth and nail to keep their expenses shrouded in secrecy, we'd be none the wiser, and they'd still be milking the system.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..