Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2008, 14:17   #1

Armed robbery on union road.

Just been into work to buy a few things and got informed that last night at around 9:40 the shop was raided by a guy with a hammer wearing a balaclava.

The member of staff was working on her own and was taken to hospital, luckily she has no physical injuries but is obviously quite shaken up.

The robber got away with just over £60, a white car was said to be floating around the area.

Anyone with any information should contact accy police or feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

For those who dont know i work at booze busters on union road, which is where the incident happened.
Old 21-11-2008, 14:35   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Armed robbery on union road.

hope the lass gets oer it speedy, if i remember correctly the same happened to one of our members a while back, at the burnley rd, accrington one.
Old 21-11-2008, 14:41   #3

I'm sure she will be alright mate, she has been told she can have as much time off work as she needs to get over this. its a shame it happened last night as i was supposed to working that shift but she asked if we could swap because she had a party to attend tonight.

Hopefully the scum that did it will be caught, but no doubt will get away with just a slap on the wrist.

I was working at the burnley road shop a few weekends back and met a young lady who worked at that shop when it was robbed.

Something like that must cause a great deal of upset, and i really hope that whoever did it is made to suffer.
Old 21-11-2008, 16:15   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Just been into work to buy a few things and got informed that last night at around 9:40 the shop was raided by a guy with a hammer wearing a balaclava.

The member of staff was working on her own and was taken to hospital, luckily she has no physical injuries but is obviously quite shaken up.

The robber got away with just over £60, a white car was said to be floating around the area.

Anyone with any information should contact accy police or feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

For those who dont know i work at booze busters on union road, which is where the incident happened.
This scum are prepare to put a lass in hospital for 60 rotten quid, but what will happen if they do catch this guy, probably get five or six years will be out robbin that thuging again within three years. Its time that people like this got a minimum ten years served then they may just think twice before trying to thieve 60 quid
Old 21-11-2008, 16:19   #5
Senior Member+

Desperate times ! We have been told to be extra careful at locking up time, seems a store somewhere local has had someone hit on the head when locking up last thing; we never do it alone and have alarms and phones at the ready but some folk will stop at nothing for a few quid.
Old 21-11-2008, 16:58   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

As bad as this is, it reminds me of the day's way back when, the firms takings had to be put into the banks Night safe.

My brother did this for years without an incident, down town bank near the Boulevard, then one time he was hit and all the takings stolen.

The people up above decided in future he should always have a member of staff with him, 'just in case', so everyone took it in turns, it was the turn of the gentle giant maintenance man, my brother was just opening the safe and putting the bag in when a bloke ran around the corner.

The next thing within the wink of an eye there is a winded bloke lying on the floor, gasping to all that could hear, "I was only running for the bus!".

It was the last time that guy watched my brothers back, these day's that would have cost them a fortune in claims!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 17:28   #7
Senior Member+

Theres some swines around arnt there! Its getting to the point where decent people are becoming worried about going out at night. Luckily the lass was'nt hurt, however i'm sure it will prey on her mind for a long time now. As you say, even if caught, the robber will probably get a very lenient sentence, and be doing the same to someone else before long.

We were actually having a meal in Franco's last night, and left there by taxi at around 9.30 and went past Booze Busters but unfortunately we did'nt notice anything untoward.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 18:28   #8
Resting In Peace

i personally don't think it is safe for a girl or woman to work alone in a off licence at night,
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 20:32   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
i personally don't think it is safe for a girl or woman to work alone in a off licence at night,
It seems it is not safe for any person to work alone especially at night.

Last night's events at Booze Buster would have been no less traumatic for a man working on his own.
Old 21-11-2008, 22:02   #10

Details are still a little sketchy but from what i can gather there was more than one person involved, from now on we are under strict orders to have two members of staff on the night shift.

Its a real shame that this has happened because the member of staff it happened to is one of the nicest people i have ever met, and only normally works a couple of hours at weekend because she has a 9-5 job during the week, she is very well known as she has worked at the shop for many years, had lots of people in today asking us to pass our wishes on to her.
Old 21-11-2008, 22:23   #11
God Member

Surely with it happening on Burnley Road not so long ago Booze Busters should have known to have two staff working at night Hope the lady can get over this and the scum are caught.
Old 21-11-2008, 23:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Surely with it happening on Burnley Road not so long ago Booze Busters should have known to have two staff working at night Hope the lady can get over this and the scum are caught.
To be honest this is the first major incident we have had at the ossy shop, we only usually have two staff working over the weekend. But now thats changed, and our security has been improved quite a lot already today (obviously i cant go into details about that though).
Old 21-11-2008, 23:21   #13
God Member

Quote:
To be honest this is the first major incident we have had at the ossy shop, we only usually have two staff working over the weekend. But now thats changed, and our security has been improved quite a lot already today (obviously i cant go into details about that though).
That is good news then staff safety should be paramount.
Old 21-11-2008, 23:36   #14

I’ve never like the idea of having lone workers. It smacks of cost - cutting on the part of the employer in my eyes.

Lone working isn’t illegal ( I personally think it should be )so long as the task has been Risk Assessed and various steps put in place to control or negate any hazards. The incident on Burnley Road was some time back and any Risk Assessments that the company had in place for lone workers should have been revisited.

The main thing is that the girl is OK. Lessons should have been taken on board though.
Old 21-11-2008, 23:53   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Details are still a little sketchy but from what i can gather there was more than one person involved, from now on we are under strict orders to have two members of staff on the night shift.
Why so they can point a gun at 2 of you at once

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..