Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 03:53   #1
God Member

Art or just a bad concrete job

a new show at the 'tate modern' features a crack in the floor

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Sculptor fills Tate with a hole

to me all it represents is an example of a bad job done by a poorly trained concrete crew and deserves jacking out, a re-pour and full refund

no doubt the tax-payers of the UK are happy about the way pubic funds are used in paying for a piece of builders rubble , and the salaries of public emmployees/ officals who authorize junk like this ..........

anywhere else the "crack" would be cordened off by orange plastic cones as a safety hazzard

comments .....?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Art or just a bad concrete job

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

no doubt the tax-payers of the UK are happy about the way pubic funds are used in paying for a piece of builders rubble , and the salaries of public emmployees/ officals who authorize junk like this ..........
Plenty of the tax-payers of the UK think it's a load of old rhubarb too but we are told that art is meant to make you stop and think and provoke discussion so the very fact that it has done so is proving that it is indeed art. Personally I think it's 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome. I have to admit that I can see what she's getting at with her inspiration but I'm still not convinced that it's art.

Despite what they say about there being people on hand to warn visitors about the dangers of falling into the crack or tripping over it (as it widens and narrows) I can foresee a lot of broken bones and some legal claims in the not too distant future. If that was in an out door pavement it would have to be cordoned off and people wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it for health and safety reasons. I'm amazed that they've got away with it.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 09-10-2007 at 07:42.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06   #3
Give, give, give member

I think it looks great!

All that guff about racial hatred, and immigrants in Europe is rubbish.

I like it because in these Health and Safety conscious days, it looks like it should have black and yellow warning signs all round it. The fact that staff at the Tate have to warn people not to fall down it is hilarious.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38   #4
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

All that guff about racial hatred, and immigrants in Europe is rubbish.

Ah but you see you are missing the point of the great gulf which is forming between 'us' and 'them' (whoever 'they' are
) You're not allowed to just like it, you have to be moved by the thing. It could be a representation of the 'rich' and the 'poor' or it could be perceptions of class distinction...... or it could simply be a crack.

It's the same as how those concentric circles that we haven't got on top of the Coppice were supposed to represent the Accrington Pals.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:05   #5
God Member

Has this 'artist' got shares in Polyfilla?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 13:16   #6
God Member

Do people actually pay to look at this? If they do they want their heads looked at!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 14:04   #7

looks like a very bad concrete job to me
Old 09-10-2007, 14:06   #8
God Member

If that is art then I am the Queen of Sheeba. Cant believe they are getting away with this time and time again. Hell I could do a better job when bevvied up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 14:32   #9
God Member

The last time I visited the Tate Modern I was walking around and came across an area with 4 old wooden pallets stacked up with a man sitting on them, the man was wearing decorators overalls and reading a newspaper. About half a dozen people were standing there looking at the man..... I walked around and came back to the same area 30 mins later ... the man had gone and he's overalls were draped over the pallets, by this time there were around 15 people staring at the palllets!....to this day I don't know if this was an exhibit or just a bloke doing some painting!!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 14:42   #10
Resident Waffler

Like that Two Ronnies sketch with the mopping buckets.

Old 12-10-2007, 00:53   #11
Junior Member+

Well it had to happen ! Compo claim to follow.....

Tate Modern's crack claims first victims - Times Online
Trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentster View Post
Well it had to happen ! Compo claim to follow.....

Tate Modern's crack claims first victims - Times Online
Who in their right mind goes to look at something like that? You can walk down any street and see "ART" every day!!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:32   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
If that is art then I am the Queen of Sheeba. Cant believe they are getting away with this time and time again. Hell I could do a better job when bevvied up.
well Queen,those that know better than us say its ART.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:33   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
a new show at the 'tate modern' features a crack in the floor

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Sculptor fills Tate with a hole

to me all it represents is an example of a bad job done by a poorly trained concrete crew and deserves jacking out, a re-pour and full refund

anywhere else the "crack" would be cordened off by orange plastic cones as a safety hazzard

comments .....?
No self respecting Irishman, would lend his name to a job so badly done even 'crack' is poor
No se
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 13:48   #15
Resident Waffler

How could they manage to fall down it? It's not as if they didn't know it's there for goodness sakes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..