Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2007, 16:03   #1
God Member

Assault

I've been debating whether to post this or not, but in the end decided I should.

I was racially abused and then assaulted by four Asians whilst walking home a few nights ago. I'm not going in to details but it comes down to the following:

I got punched in the face, completely unprovoked, by somebody I have never met before. If I wasn't so quick on my feet I would defiantly have been incredibly worse off than a bust nose as I managed to run past one of them when I was surrounded escaping with just a punch to the face. If they'd have got hold of me properly I dread to think what state I would be in now.

Once I was "safe" I followed them at a distance to ensure the police caught them, one was arrested. Kind of miffed that the others were not arrested only cautioned, because they played an active part and if that first punch had knocked me to the floor, there's no doubt at all in my mind that they would have all joined in.

I honestly don't know what to say. It happened at the opening of broadway, Union Street side, its got CCTV. How do you prevent society from getting kicks out of unprovoked attacks? All CCTV can do is monitor it and later prosecute on the off chance that the camera is facing the wrong way.

Luckily my face has no bruising, it just hurts a lot. I am very lucky I managed to escape them though.
Old 26-06-2007, 16:08   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Assault

I'm glad you decided to share this with the forum, and as said via pm, am glad that you are not too badly hurt.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 16:14   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

That's awful Cyfr, I suppose it's lucky that they were caught. My dad was attacked by 4 Asian youths in Blackburn when he was coming home from work... This was last year, and despite him giving the police their car registration number and having several witnesses, the police claimed that they could not track these lads down.

It is stories like yours which make me shudder at what a hell hole England has become. The older I am getting, the less opportunites I can see for both myself and other law abiding citizens in this country.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 16:14   #4
Senior Member+

Terrible.

Glad you escaped without to much injury.
Old 26-06-2007, 16:18   #5
God Member

At least one got arrested. About 5 years ago I lived in Brierfield and a group of them turned up at the house with baseballs because I wouldn't let my stepdaughter come to the door earlier in the evening when one of them came knocking. They threatened to burn the house down. I reported it, and got given a leaflet by the police on how to deal with racial discrimination.

Then they wonder why the BNP is well supported in the Burnley area
Old 26-06-2007, 16:22   #6

lucky you were fast on your feet .hope police are going to press charges.
Old 26-06-2007, 16:23   #7
God Member

That's awful.Thank God you're ok.You come away just being thankful you're stll alive don't you?Not like some unfortunate people who finish up getting kicked to death over nothing.These unprovoked attacks are very frightening.My husband had experience of one several years ago.I bet the police are saying it wasn't 'racially motivated' are they? They wouldn't be saying that if you'd attacked a black guy,that would be a racist attck straight away.What I'm saying will probably be controversial but I can assure you all I am not a racist person.I take all people as I find them and whether I like or dislike them has nothing to do with the colour of their skin.It just annoys me that whenever a black person is attacked by a white person it's always reported as racism but when it's the other way round it never is.I don't know why because these attacks are everywhere but they're always played down as not racist when it's a white person that's been attacked. Anyway glad you're ok and hope your injuries soon feel better.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 16:30   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cyfr, im 100% certain you were correct to post this, glad yer ok mate,too many of these type of incidents go unheard of, probably cos young uns dont want to be looked on as soft, its nowt of the sort, people tend to think-well this will not happen to me, well it does, hope they bounce the cowardly scumbag.
Old 26-06-2007, 16:40   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It just annoys me that whenever a black person is attacked by a white person it's always reported as racism but when it's the other way round it never is.
That's a misconception. The law, including the race laws, are applicable to everyone in this country, irrespective of the colour of their skin.

There have been plenty of successful prosecutions brought against people who have committed race crimes against white people.

Here's just one of many examples.

BBC NEWS | UK | Racism and race crime redefined

Old 26-06-2007, 16:44   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's a misconception. The law, including the race laws, are applicable to everyone in this country, irrespective of the colour of their skin.

There have been plenty of successful prosecutions brought against people who have committed race crimes against white people.

Here's just one of many examples.

BBC NEWS | UK | Racism and race crime redefined
I think the misconception is that the law is applied fairly
Old 26-06-2007, 16:46   #11
Senior Member+

That's actually correct. It's also a requirement of the police to record all offences as racially motivated, if the victim makes that claim.
That's one of the reasons why the number of racially motivated crimes have increased in the statistics.

Glad you're ok Cyfr.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:03   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think the misconception is that the law is applied fairly
Well all the latest figures prove that it is being applied fairly, and that the police, and the courts, take all cases of racial assault seriously, irrespective of the colour of the victim.

'Police figures show a record number of racist attacks in the area - out of 572 reported cases last year, 60% of the victims were white - and detectives are investigating a total of three racially-motivated incidents during last weekend. '
BBC NEWS | UK | War veteran in 'racist' attack

'Nearly half of all victims of racially motivated murders in the last decade have been white, according to official figures released by the Home Office.'
Racial murders: nearly half the victims are white | UK News | The Observer

Old 26-06-2007, 17:20   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well all the latest figures prove that it is being applied fairly, and that the police, and the courts, take all cases of racial assault seriously, irrespective of the colour of the victim.

'Police figures show a record number of racist attacks in the area - out of 572 reported cases last year, 60% of the victims were white - and detectives are investigating a total of three racially-motivated incidents during last weekend. '
BBC NEWS | UK | War veteran in 'racist' attack

'Nearly half of all victims of racially motivated murders in the last decade have been white, according to official figures released by the Home Office.'
Racial murders: nearly half the victims are white | UK News | The Observer
The article backs up your statistics but also backs up my opinion of what has been happening for years.

"Senior police officers have admitted that 'political correctness' and the fear of discussing the issue have meant that race crime against white people goes under-reported. 'The political correctness and reluctance to discuss these things absolutely does play a factor', he said. 'A lot of police officers and other professions feel almost the best thing to do is try and avoid it for fear of being criticised. We probably have all got ourselves into a bit of state about this. "

Mind you I think the application of the law in this country is too soft regardless of creed or colour.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:24   #14

I am glad that you are ok Cyfr, you are quite right to post about the attack on here.

I find Garinda's statistics about racially motivated attacks last year (and especially the murder figures) very disturbing. For anyone to be singled out for whatever reason to be attcked is appalling, but especailly so when it is because of the colour of someone's skin.

Lettie, you said that nothing ever came off the attack on your dad last year, desoite him having witnesses and a car reg. Did he not try to find the people himself and bring a private prosecution - as it was Blackburn did he try to contact Jack Straw to complain about there not being any outcome.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:34   #15
God Member

Glad you're ok Cyfr, also pleased the police arrested someone, as Lettie said when our Dad was assulted last year they didn't want to know.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..