Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2009, 05:41   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Athiest Camp For Kids, I Don't Believe It!

A Professor is setting up an Atheist Camp for children, now I have been well, not a devout Atheist, such a thing surely can't exist can it? But I have been an Atheist since my teens, the thing is I didn't think the idea was to enrol others into this none religion, just that we could be free to not believe.

To force these ideas onto the young and impressionable is to me as bad as any religion that does similar, I do hope the camp fails I would hate to think that in future I would have to gather with other atheists to discuss the hows and whys of a none existing God,surely if you don't believe that is it, absolutely no need to spread your Doctrine to anyone else,is there?

Richard Dawkins launches children's summer camp for atheists - Telegraph

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2009, 06:09   #2

Re: Athiest Camp For Kids, I Don't Believe It!

I shall have a word with Richard on Twitter, the idea seems quite mad
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 08:41   #3
Resting in Peace

It was featured on Breakfast TV this morning, to be religious or not is a personal choice as far as I'm concerned, can be doing with anybody trying to force their ideas on any one else
Old 28-07-2009, 11:11   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was featured on Breakfast TV this morning, to be religious or not is a personal choice as far as I'm concerned, can be doing with anybody trying to force their ideas on any one else
its not personal choice though is it because as a child it is forced upon you from your first day at school and even in secodary school if you question god in R.E you get lines or detention

i dont agree with the camps but the sooner we stop filling our kids head with nonsense about imaginary gods etc the better.Perhaps if children all over teh world were brought up without religion there would be little less conflict in this world.

i would much rather see kids grow up without religion in tehir lives and get to around 18 years of age and be introduced to religion where the majority would laugh at the propostorous tales they were been expected to believe

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 11:22   #5
Resting in Peace

Re: Atheist Camp For Kids, I Don't Believe It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its not personal choice though is it because as a child it is forced upon you from your first day at school and even in secodary school if you question god in R.E you get lines or detention

i dont agree with the camps but the sooner we stop filling our kids head with nonsense about imaginary gods etc the better.Perhaps if children all over teh world were brought up without religion there would be little less conflict in this world.

i would much rather see kids grow up without religion in tehir lives and get to around 18 years of age and be introduced to religion where the majority would laugh at the propostorous tales they were been expected to believe
Its your choice when you leave school and you can opt out of religious studies too, I haven't always gone to church even though I was brought up an RC, although I'm am now involved with the church even though I'm unable to attend mass.
Old 28-07-2009, 11:27   #6
God Member

by teh time a child leaves school it has already been subjected to years of conditioning over religion so even though common sense dicates there cant be a god the years of been told there is and been punished for saying there isnt stick in tehir minds

religious education is no better than cult brian washing but with a touch of pedophilia thrown in for good measure via the church which is why i dont agree with camps run by fanatics for children wether it be for or against god

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-07-2009 at 11:30.
Old 28-07-2009, 14:21   #7

And how many church based camps are there?
The cubs/scouts are all church based.
Many churches sponsor youth groups & give a slant on religion in many activities.

To be able to have a camp that is anti religion is surely just natural & should not be a problem.

The kids are having fun, which is the main point.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 15:39   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

i would much rather see kids grow up without religion in their lives and get to around 18 years of age and be introduced to religion where the majority would laugh at the preposterous tales they were been expected to believe
Don't talk tall tales, (see Kate I can be polite with those I choose),
I mean, come on if you want to believe you should be left to believe so long as you don't insist others have to believe what you do.

This Guy is an 'Atheist', why should he want/need to convince others? He has no faith he is an Atheist. So there is no need to convert, convince, or Pester others to become what he is.

I am an Atheist, if you aren't fine, all the true Atheists will leave you alone, I trust him less than I would a Christian to teach my Children what is right or wrong, mainly because he's making a religion out of 'I don't Believe', that has to be wrong!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 16:48   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

This Guy is an 'Atheist', why should he want/need to convince others? He has no faith he is an Atheist. So there is no need to convert, convince, or Pester others to become what he is.
perhaps hes doing it out of protest after years of harrasment from bible thumpers goin door to door , harrassing people in town centers and airports and church bells waking him up sunday morning after a very un-christian like saturday night

Quote:
Don't talk tall tales, (see Kate I can be polite with those I choose),
I mean, come on if you want to believe you should be left to believe so long as you don't insist others have to believe what you do.
i didnt say children should be left to belive i said they shouldnt even be introduced to religion period.That way when they are adults and can think for themselves they can laugh in the faces of anyone trying to get them to believe any of the farcical things written in the bible

Last edited by accyman; 28-07-2009 at 16:52.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..